New wave of baskets with med-dark roasts

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
nixter

#1: Post by nixter »

With all the new hole and pattern designs of baskets in the last few years I'm thinking of trying something other than my IMS/VST. I generally use med-dark roasts like "Vivace Dolce". Any suggestions on a basket that might bring out something unique and interesting?

I did a search but only found a post from 2016 that wasnt accepting new comments.

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Don't bother

VSTs are arguably already too "fast" for Vivace-like roasts unless you run a huge dose.

If you enjoy that style of beans, I'd suggest a quality tapered basket like the EPNW HQ 14. Despite its name, both the ridged and ridgeless dose like an "18".

Edit: The new baskets are generally around increasing extraction. This seems to be a combination of faster flow rates and needing to grind finer to get even moderate pressure in the basket. Dark roasts typically reveal excessive bitterness or unpleasant flavors if "over extracted".

nixter (original poster)

#3: Post by nixter (original poster) »

Makes sense. Thanks!

BaristaBob

#4: Post by BaristaBob »

Well it would amount to a new taste experience, maybe not for the better. The new high extraction baskets, Weber Workshops, Sworksdesign, and Pesado He do exactly that...extract more of everything, the good, the bad, and the ugly! That said, I use them all the time, from light to medium-dark roasts. They work like a charm for my light and medium roasts. For the darker stuff I've learned to reduce the ratio (1:1.3) and extraction time (20-25 seconds), in order to keep them from tasting ashy and bitter.

I'd recommend the Weber basket if you want to give this a try, since it has the fewest holes of the baskets I mentioned (approximately 1,200).

My best to you!
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Capuchin Monk

#5: Post by Capuchin Monk »

nixter wrote: I generally use med-dark roasts like "Vivace Dolce".
After reading and watching numbers of reviews on those new wave filter baskets, what I've seen repeatedly is the lack of difference they made for darker roasts. In other words, for your bean choice, keep your existing baskets.

Mat-O-Matic
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Mat-O-Matic »

It looks like the OP is using IMS/VST (and therefore) high-flow baskets. Jeff's suggestion to use a NON-high flow basket like EPNW should be re-emphasized. Using a more traditional basket, and maybe grinding coarser, likely will give a new (and possibly improved) taste to the OPs preferred beans.

I think everyone was echoing this idea correctly, but saying the OP should stick with his current baskets.
LMWDP #716: Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself.
★ Helpful

spressomon

#7: Post by spressomon »

It would be helpful to know what you don't like about your "IMS/VST" baskets. FWIW, for darker roasts, Northbound Prana being one of my favorites, my IMS Competition ridged B702Th24.5M makes it easy and tasty; typically dosing 15.5-16.0 grams using this basket for Prana. Whereas, my go to baskets for light side of medium and lighter is an 18g VST.

Note, non-ridged IMS baskets are much straighter wall than the ridged counterparts and don't yield the same in the cup taste results.
No Espresso = Depresso

Jeff
Team HB

#8: Post by Jeff »

I agree on that specific IMS basket. It is from the same general family of shapes and perforation as the mentioned EPNW baskets. Either would be a good choice. I have had both and didn't have a preference between them all based on what was in the cup.

From https://imsfiltri.com/wp-content/upload ... NITIVO.pdf

BaristaBob

#9: Post by BaristaBob »

I'm in agreement with the group think on this, that a "slower" basket (as Jeff mentioned) makes extracting darker roast easier. I was just giving the OP some opinion on using a high extraction basket with caution.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

nixter (original poster)

#10: Post by nixter (original poster) »

Really appreciate all the insightful replies! My current basket is the Lelit that came with my Bianca V3. It's a 16-18g with a tapered bottom, made by IMS, so I'm probably good. This morning I used my conical Jmax instead of my flat burred DF64/SSP-HU. I ground 17g @192, 1:1.5, with a straight profile, no pre, no ramps. I forget the exact timing now. I think it was 22sec. It was very smooth with no bitterness. Lacked a bit of the body I like though so perhaps I either grind finer or raise the temp, and reduce the ratio to 1:1.25.