new toy: pasquini livietta

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
atao
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by atao »

just got this a few weeks ago. its a late 80's livietta. had to do a bit of work on it, but its up and running and its a nice change from the silvia. its physically about the same size as the silvia, but has the added benefit of being an hx.

i had a fun little project with this whole thing. soon after i got the machine, brew temp was too low and i poked around and realized the pressurestat was broken (the tension spring inside it was mangled) and after searching for a replacement for a while, and being impatient (olympia would've taken an order, which is good to know) i decided to try to repair. i was able to stitch another spring onto the original one and tie it in. its pretty hacky, but after attatching a pressure gauge to the steam outlet post, i was able to adjust things to a .8 - 1 bar range, which seems to be working just fine. if anyone out there has a better idea of how to clean up my handiwork, i'd love to hear.

i had to fix the safety pressure valve as well - it was leaking. i basically just disassembled it and cleaned the silicone plug, reversed it, reassembled and it seems to be working. i adjusted it to the point of letting steam out during a normal heating cycle, then tightened it a bit more.

i descaled the boiler with citric acid (3 tbsp/1.5 ltr) and the brew path with caffinex. both were pretty nasty.

i've measured brew temp with a styrofoam cup and my steaming thermometer - i'm hitting a bit over 200 degrees . perhaps a bit hot, i don't know.

i do still have a couple of semi-issues:

1. after i pull a shot, water shoots out of the lower outlet at high velocity, kindov like a sneeze. i'm not used to seeing stuff come out at such a high velocity, leading me to think that somethings wrong. is this normal? i actually haven't checked brew pressure, which is my next mini-project.

2. i've had to adjust my rocky to grind 2 steps more coarse than what i had with the silvia, which i guess makes sense since the basket is 54 on livietta vs. 58 on silvia.

3. the taste ... i'm coming off of a silvia. i'm able to get more consistently good shots with the livietta (i really have had zero sour shots), and, like bob craig said in a different thread, they tend to be sweet, good crema. but i think i might not be getting quite the highs that i was getting with the silvia. of course, for me, i was only getting a really good shot from the silvia maybe 1:4 times (and i was surfing ala coffeegeek's video, 14g dose). but i was wondering whether this is what you'd expect from the livietta, in terms of taste - kindov a more mellow taste.

4. steaming. a lot more force than the silvia. i can't seem to get microfoam out of the 4-hole tip, which appears to be soldered on. i have read a lot of posts that suggest plugging holes of the tip to make it easier, but if its possible to learn how to use this 4-hole tip to get good microfoam, i'd like to learn. about a half gallon in, and i haven't had huge success. any suggestions? when i open the valve fully, its pretty easy to slip and suddenly i've got big bubbles. most of what i end up with is shaving cream foam on top and liquid below.

can you steam and pull at the same time? is it going to harm the taste of the shot - small boiler, temp will drop too precipitously?

anyways, any comments, advice would be welcome.

-andrew

espressme

#2: Post by espressme »

Thanks for the photos!
Mine will be here in a day or two! All info helps.
richard / espressme
richard penney LMWDP #090,

Advertisement
welone

#3: Post by welone »

atao wrote:1. after i pull a shot, water shoots out of the lower outlet at high velocity, kindov like a sneeze. i'm not used to seeing stuff come out at such a high velocity, leading me to think that somethings wrong. is this normal? i actually haven't checked brew pressure, which is my next mini-project.

2. i've had to adjust my rocky to grind 2 steps more coarse than what i had with the silvia, which i guess makes sense since the basket is 54 on livietta vs. 58 on silvia.

3. the taste ... i'm coming off of a silvia. i'm able to get more consistently good shots with the livietta (i really have had zero sour shots), and, like bob craig said in a different thread, they tend to be sweet, good crema. but i think i might not be getting quite the highs that i was getting with the silvia. of course, for me, i was only getting a really good shot from the silvia maybe 1:4 times (and i was surfing ala coffeegeek's video, 14g dose). but i was wondering whether this is what you'd expect from the livietta, in terms of taste - kindov a more mellow taste.

4. steaming. a lot more force than the silvia. i can't seem to get microfoam out of the 4-hole tip, which appears to be soldered on. i have read a lot of posts that suggest plugging holes of the tip to make it easier, but if its possible to learn how to use this 4-hole tip to get good microfoam, i'd like to learn. about a half gallon in, and i haven't had huge success. any suggestions? when i open the valve fully, its pretty easy to slip and suddenly i've got big bubbles. most of what i end up with is shaving cream foam on top and liquid below.
re: 1. the two maximatics i saw in action up till now have the same forceful sneeze too. The only thing I could come up with, is to turn the outlet above the drip tray 45 degrees sideways instead of straight down. At least this way all the sneeze goes into the drip tray.

re: 2. are there 49mm and 54mm liviettas? I thought they were the same as the maximatic basket: 49mm.

re: 3. i use to pull the shots shorter (about 1/3 less) than on my gaggia classic (58mm) this way I seem to get similar results. the sour notes also completely disappeared, but considering the thermal instability of a gaggia classic this is not to much of an surprise.

re: 4. the four hole steam tip is giving me a hard time too. The main problem seems to be that my optimal pressurestat setting for brewing (when flushing at most 2oz.) result in low steam pressure. So I'm not able to create a whirlpool in a pitcher bigger than 12 oz. Plus the optimal position for stretching the milk with the 4-hole-tip seem to be more critical than with the 1-hole-tip (and comparatively more pressure). The best results I had by tilting the pitcher slightly and positioning the tip like this:

EDIT: since I've blocked two of the four holes with a toothpick (which of course have to be replaced every few days to prevent gunk) steaming has become so much easier. Now i get the nice microfoam I got from my gaggia (1-hole steam tip) with almost no effort!

I haven't tried out brewing and steaming simultaneously so no idea about that.

Could you elaborate on how others have plugged the holes of the steam tip?

greets

marco

atao (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by atao (original poster) »

yup, my machine's portafilter is 54mm - much like the newer maximatic models. that's good to hear that the 3-way valve sneeze is normal. i like the idea of angling the output to the drip tray.

thanks for your tips welone. a few 4-hole steaming tips that i've found:
Steaming Milk on the Olympia Cremina
Olympia Cremina Steaming Tip -- Replacement/modification suggestions?

mogogear

#5: Post by mogogear »

It must be raining these types lately-

I too am in the middle of rebuilding a 1990 Maximatic. It was a pretty leaky one and I have been doing a lot of cleaning, descaling and repainting. I think the vacuum breaker cap was the culprit...

My PF is 49mm so a little out of sync with the trend...

The steam wand was plugged with 2 toothpick tips- evidence at least that the previous owner subscribed to you folks point of view- I took them out and will see what happens when she comes to life.

My element has been retrofitted for a replacement using a La Pavoni element. I knew of this approach but had not actually seen one. It was a modification used back when elements were not to be had. I will drop some pictures in to show it later today.

I have been busy insulating the back side of the boiler, applying metal aluminum tape to the boiler-side of the water reservoir holder- and added a small piece of heat resistant foam between the vibe pump and the boiler side of the bracket. All done to repel the heat from the water and pump. This maybe not needed but I am waiting for some gaskets and it feels constructive.

Thanks for your pictures - the Small HX group is growing again-! I think Bob has a new( er) Max 2003 now also.
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

atao (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by atao (original poster) »

hi mogogear, good to have more on board who have experience with these little machines.

what's the purpose of the vacuum breaker cap/valve? i noticed that my boiler cap has this screw/nut pair in it. originally, when i got the unit, the cap would leak steam/water. so, i tightened this screw/nut. i'm not sure that i should've, but the spurting is gone.

mogogear

#7: Post by mogogear »

Edited my post with the pictures-

The vented cap is supposed to eliminate the need to release false pressure that shuts the Pstat down on initial warm up- Its seeped a bit at first - then sealed up when the real temp build up gains momentum.

Instead it seems to have been a weak link that can also allow for pressure release issues that will keep the element on all the time( which may be why mine burned out and was replaced). It just kept releasing and never built up the pressure.

I think Bob Craig said that the cap was done away with and Olympia went back to the old style - un-vented caps.
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

Advertisement
espressme

#8: Post by espressme »

Hi Gang,
Pasquini Day.. Looks like I have to start a bunch of 51-54 inch portafilters...Mine came in today and it is the big one. Daannngg :? Anybody have a size on the PF and baskets..?
Dirty and really needs a rebuild..
FUN! :twisted:
Cheers
Richard / espressme

espressme

#9: Post by espressme »

On another thread, IIRC Bob Craige said that the Vacuum Breaker was a troublesome bit and that one had to keep after it with descaling because the main switch on-off cooling cycles of the home machines would cause it to scale quickly.
That's all I have heard.
My '81 does have it.
Cheers
Richard / espressme
mogogear wrote:Edited my post with the pictures-

The vented cap is supposed to eliminate the need to release false pressure that shuts the Pstat down on initial warm up- Its seeped a bit at first - then sealed up when the real temp build up gains momentum.

Instead it seems to have been a weak link that can also allow for pressure release issues that will keep the element on all the time( which may be why mine burned out and was replaced). It just kept releasing and never built up the pressure.

I think Bob Craig said that the cap was done away with and Olympia went back to the old style - un-vented caps.

mogogear

#10: Post by mogogear »

BTW on your PStat spring fix- you have got it working fine-

I will grab you another close up .....but the bottom of the old spring just screws onto a threaded stud at the base- the top of the spring screwed onto the bottom of a small bolt that feeds down through a hole on the top of the cover-

So all you need is a small bolt to stick into the top of the hole- and to cut off each end of your new spring and adjust.

The spring really seems to just keep the travel plate in contact with the bellows base. so it shouldn't be hard to get to that "factory" look....

A picture will help and someone else may have a good close snap shot... to illustrate
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067