New Preinfusion for La Marzocco Linea Mini R - Page 5

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Laurintzon

#41: Post by Laurintzon »

hao wrote:Completely agree that the Linea Mini and GS3 MP gap is narrowed. I recently got a Linea Mini (the original version) after having sold my Decent DE1. Nothing wrong mechanically or espresso-wise with the Decent - I just wanted something with a much more manual feel and (in my opinion) better aesthetics. I ordered Rick Bond's EMP Mod and it should be arriving soon. I only make espresso with very light roasted beans, and so far I have been pleasantly surprised by the shots I've been getting with the stock (non-plumbed, no preinfusion) configuration! All I did was lower the pressure to 6 bar. On the other hand, I've only really been pulling turbo shots, which by design are more forgiving. If you're looking to do Slayer style shots, you'd certainly need a slow preinfusion, which plumbing in the machine would give you.

I briefly considered the GS3 MP, especially since a new Linea Mini with an EMP mod is around the same price as the GS3. For me, it came down to 1) worse aesthetics (personal opinion of course!); 2) longer heat up time; and 3) the pressure profiling just dumps the unused water into the drip tray. For a long preinfusion this can be double or triple the total shot volume, all wasted! Furthermore, I've heard the paddle isn't the most intuitive to use.

Note that the EMP mod in its current state is unlikely to be compatible with the new Linea Mini as the internals have changed. If you really wanted this mod with the new Linea Mini, it'd probably be worth it to reach out to Rick and ask him if he plans to adjust his mod to work for the new version.
Nice to hear your view and comments, we have similar preferences. And it's true that you don't need full pressure profiling to be able to pull even very light roasts, as you've shown. Line-pressure preinfusion, possible blooming, and 6-7 bar infusion is quite fine. The only thing you're missing is the post-infusion or ramp-down. But of course with the manual paddle, this all is more sophisticated and more possibilities available.

Aesthetics also plays a big factor for me (and for my girlfriend who loves Mini in blue and nearly hates GS3 haha). I know the cons of GS3 MP but could live with them too. Rick Bond's EMP Mod could be a game changer in the future (if he adjusts it for the R) but there's a lot to experiment with stock Mini R too.

By the way, does anyone know how long preinfusion you can preset in the app (Mini OG/R)? And I think there is no option to stop preinfusion manually should you want to?

BaristaBob

#42: Post by BaristaBob »

Laurintzon wrote:
By the way, does anyone know how long preinfusion you can preset in the app (Mini OG/R)? And I think there is no option to stop preinfusion manually should you want to?
From my discussions with LM USA, for the Mini R, the prebrew OFF time can be set as far out as the total time limit...that's now 90 seconds. Of course, that would be like a drip coffee (crazy style), but more functional would be as Jake mentioned, pump ON for 2s, then 8s pump OFF. Seems like there is a lot of trial and error space to play with to get you to your tasty place.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Laurintzon

#43: Post by Laurintzon replying to BaristaBob »

Yes I believe this is how it is. I was actually referring to the normal plumbed in preinfusion (which works with Mini OG as well). Can you e.g. set a long 20-30 sec (or as long as you want) preinfusion and then ramp up without off time? I.e. a Slayer shot.

dmacleod

#44: Post by dmacleod »

hao wrote:Completely agree that the Linea Mini and GS3 MP gap is narrowed. I recently got a Linea Mini (the original version) after having sold my Decent DE1.
Do you have any regret or miss anything in particular from the Decent? I am thinking of moving on from my GS3 MP to the De1.

hao
Supporter

#45: Post by hao replying to dmacleod »

No regrets! Love the Linea Mini. It makes my workflow so much more enjoyable. It would be nice to have precise and repeatable pressure profiling, but I really really don't want a screen on my espresso machine :)

joiglan

#46: Post by joiglan »

Jake_G wrote: Let's start with how the OG Mini (and the GS3, and the Micra) handle reservoir-fed preinfusion, or pre-brewing. The process is broken down into 3 steps, all adjustable via the app (or the button panel on the GS3):
  1. Pre-Brewing On: The pump starts and the 3 way valve is energized, filling the headspace above the puck. This phase lasts the duration of "Pre-Brewing On" as set in the app/panel.
  2. Pre-Brewing Off: The pump continues to run and the 3-way valve is shut off, venting the puck to the drain box. The puck stays vented for the duration of the "Pre-Brewing Off" timer.
  3. The pump continues to continue running and the 3-way valve is again energized, reapplying pressure to the puck until the shot is complete.
When step 2 (pre brewing off) is happening and the valve shuts off, is the water which is present on the top of the puck from the prebrew step vented to the drain, essentially leaving the puck for the 'pause' section with no water? ie backwards flow? I guess it might not as the valve is placed before the brew chamber/shower screen and I can't imagine it would have a way to pull that water backwards out? If it was the case however, I guess only the water absorbed into the puck would remain for the pause section?

Jake_G (original poster)
Team HB

#47: Post by Jake_G (original poster) »

joiglan wrote:When step 2 (pre brewing off) is happening and the valve shuts off, is the water which is present on the top of the puck from the prebrew step vented to the drain, essentially leaving the puck for the 'pause' section with no water? ie backwards flow? I guess it might not as the valve is placed before the brew chamber/shower screen and I can't imagine it would have a way to pull that water backwards out? If it was the case however, I guess only the water absorbed into the puck would remain for the pause section?
If you are talking about machines other than the mini-R, yes. It is vented. The water is evacuated by the same process that empties the water from the brew chamber when you finish a shot; rapid decompression combined with a bit of air trapped above the puck. These two factors blast all the water out of the brewing chamber when the 3-way brew valve vents the group to the drain.
LMWDP #704