New precision baskets - Page 19

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
erik82

#181: Post by erik82 »

Well this kind of basket does exist with metal screens on the bottom. A long time ago (I owned one 8 years ago) we had the 58mm Reneka Microsieve (https://www.maxicoffee.com/en-eu/filtre ... -7014.html) which did a proper job but not great. They're pretty hard to get and have large holes on the bottom where the filter is doing all the work and they have a oldschool shape. They where good but never to the level of IMS and VST.

The 49mm Strietman IMS Mesh filter (https://www.strietman.net/shop/p/ims-co ... ter-basket) is much better in that regard and does give a higher extraction just like paper filters but it mutes everything a little more then my Billet basket. The IMS Mesh also has much straighter walls then a normal filterbasket and normal hole pattern contrary to the Reneka. It also requires a much finer grind compared to normal IMS etc baskets. The grind setting on my IMS Mesh filterbasket ifs the same as on my normal flow Billet basket. It works absolutely great but is a pita to keep clean. This basket just isn't available on 58mm as Wouter was the one that made IMS produce it. I think it should also be a very good option if they made a 58mm version as for the price it's superb.

For high clarity shots I do like the Billet basket more but with medium roasts and chocolate/spicy tones I do prefer the IMS Mesh filterbasket.

PPapa

#182: Post by PPapa »

It looks similar to E&B Lab Superfine. Never liked it, to be honest.

erik82

#183: Post by erik82 »

Yes because that also slopes inwards and is an oldschool design as the Reneka contrary to the Stietman version which does have near straight walls. With these high extraction baskets you want straight walls.

Capuchin Monk

#184: Post by Capuchin Monk »

erik82 wrote:With these high extraction baskets you want straight walls.
I have a feeling that someone will be marketing the filter for sidewall soon. I can just imagine the sales pitch, smoother flavor, easier puck knock-out, less channeling... :lol:

mlunsford27

#185: Post by mlunsford27 »

Hi all, I've been using the Weber 16g unibasket for a few months now. Besides flowing faster, grinding finer like others have mentioned, I have noticed that I need to reduce my bloom times/preinfusion times or I get negative flavors. I'm thinking it's the tendency toward higher extractions make it easier to over extract. To eliminate these flavors and dial in a good shot I reduced preinfusion length until the bitterness went away, adjusted grind to get flowrate right for the style of shot (2 ml/s for blooming espresso and 3-4 ml/s for a turbo/allonge) and then adjust final output until the shot tastes balanced. When I do this I get a very balanced, clear shot. Previously I was doing 20-30s blooms with a decent basket and bottom paper filter to get balanced shots using light roasts. I'm using a DF83 with SSP Cast Burrs.

Have others noticed this similar effect where they are having to reduce bloom times to avoid negative flavors/bitterness?

Jonk

#186: Post by Jonk »

I already reduced pre-infusion time due to SSP MP/LS burrs.. But yes, I agree it's not needed. I just go for full saturation of the puck.

Jeff
Team HB

#187: Post by Jeff »

mlunsford27 wrote:Have others noticed this similar effect where they are having to reduce bloom times to avoid negative flavors/bitterness?
Like "high-extraction" burrs, baskets that potentially can extract more from the grinds can bring out more flavors. While they are often enjoyable flavors, what is in the coffee is not always what you want in your cup.

brianl

#188: Post by brianl »

Jonk wrote:I already reduced pre-infusion time due to SSP MP/LS burrs.. But yes, I agree it's not needed. I just go for full saturation of the puck.
Wouldn't full saturation of the puck be pre infusion? Or are you differentiating between the Slayer type?

I currently do the full power until it goes to 3 bars and just stop it there to preinfuse.

I also ordered the pesado he and will share thoughts

Jonk

#189: Post by Jonk »

Well, yes. The line is somewhat blurry between bloom and extended pre-infusion. What I meant is that I just wait the few seconds it usually takes to get even beading across the bottom of the basket and then straight to desired pressure. As I use a bottom paper filter to keep the basket from clogging, resistance is very low and shots run quite fast. Could perhaps forgo pre-infusion altogether, but I think it helps with consistency.

H2c4

#190: Post by H2c4 »

cb wrote:I talked to Sheldon Wong at SWorks and he confirmed that the Reduced Flow would be a way to isolate the added effect of the edge extraction when coming from a 2nd wave basket. I'll go ahead and order one and will post back the results.

Any updates?