New precision baskets - Page 18

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
cb
Supporter ♡

#171: Post by cb »

Capuchin Monk wrote:They went to high flow for superior flavor extraction but now they are backing down from it? :?
Well, I think it potentially makes a lot of sense (especially for medium-dark roasts) to have a basket with the same flow but a more even extraction due to straight side walls. I'm very interested in hearing from people who have tried the Reduced Flow edition.

cb
Supporter ♡

#172: Post by cb »

cb wrote:Has anyone tried the sworksdesign Billet basket in the "Reduced Flow" edition and compared it to 2nd wave precision baskets?
I talked to Sheldon Wong at SWorks and he confirmed that the Reduced Flow would be a way to isolate the added effect of the edge extraction when coming from a 2nd wave basket. I'll go ahead and order one and will post back the results.

brianl

#173: Post by brianl »

Great post guys. I have been using a vst 18g for about 6 or so years and was looking into a replacement and it's up to 35$ now. This prompted me to look into the Weber and pesado baskets.

Basically, I use the vst with a paper filter and would like a similar option without the paper. Anyone have a preference between the pesado and Weber. Why is the pesado cheaper? Is it just a new brand thing or is it more between the vst and Weber?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#174: Post by baldheadracing »

brianl wrote:Basically, I use the vst with a paper filter and would like a similar option without the paper.
AFAIK, it doesn't exist. Theoretically, I guess that one could use a metal fabric or cloth filter to act like the paper filter, but those options would require a lot more maintenance than using filter papers.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Capuchin Monk

#175: Post by Capuchin Monk »

baldheadracing wrote:metal fabric
The perforated bottom of filter cup already is a metal fabric in physical sense, I think. :?:

baldheadracing
Team HB

#176: Post by baldheadracing replying to Capuchin Monk »

No. Not even close.

Jonk

#177: Post by Jonk »

brianl wrote:I use the vst with a paper filter and would like a similar option without the paper.
You might want to use a paper filter with the new basket as well. I know I do, and a few others on here, to keep the holes from clogging. I guess the tendency to clog depends on the complete setup, at least for me a paper has been very helpful. It still tastes different to VST.

Capuchin Monk

#178: Post by Capuchin Monk »

baldheadracing wrote:No. Not even close.
Filter fabric, in physical sense, is a sheet with openings for certain size particles to pass through and others to be blocked, so does filter basket. The discussion is about the number of layers and material to be used.
Jonk wrote:It still tastes different to VST.
Likely due to the amount of coffee oil (and fine grinds) getting filtered out or not.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#179: Post by baldheadracing »

Capuchin Monk wrote:Filter fabric, in physical sense, is a sheet with openings for certain size particles to pass through and others to be blocked, so does filter basket. The discussion is about the number of layers and material to be used.
Fluids can't go sideways in sheet steel.

Capuchin Monk

#180: Post by Capuchin Monk »

But fluid will eventually have to go perpendicular to sheet of filter to perform its duty. Even within sheet metal perforation hole, fluid would move sideway even though the amount is very little.