New La Marzocco Linea Mini - questions

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
blondica73
Supporter ❤

#1: Post by blondica73 »

I just purchased a Linea Mini and I come from owning a Mini Vivaldi II (I still have it) and have a couple of questions for current owners.

1. I am looking for a leveling tool. Do I really need one?
2. I'm looking for a self leveling tamper.
3. I noticed some YouTube videos where the brew pressure was set around 7-8. Should I leave the brew pressure as set by factory at 9 bars, or adjust it?

Thank you,

nuketopia

#2: Post by nuketopia replying to blondica73 »

1. need? Probably not. Somehow, I've gotten by without one. :)

2. Nice to have. I've wanted a kafatek self-leveling tamper for a long time, just haven't gotten around to ordering it. But somehow, I've gotten by without one. :)

3. I've run it in all kinds of settings over the years. Returned it to standard settings with no regrets a long time ago. Maybe just use it a while and get used to it, then see if you really want to change anything.

It's a great machine, congratulations! I've been happy with mine. Pair it with a great grinder!!!

neirda

#3: Post by neirda »

Congratulation, I love mine
Leveling tool, it help to tamp straight , but not necessary at all ( and something else to adjust )
I think a londinium tool like ( or tooth pick ) , you need it absolutely
Self-leveling tamper , probably nice to use , but really unnecessary, if you have a leveling tool ;)
Like nuketopia, mine is factory setting, and with good coffee , and good distribution ( maybe because my grinder ), you could have sooooo nice nectar .

mallen4248

#4: Post by mallen4248 »

Congratulations on your new Espresso machine.

1. Leveler - The Jack by Asso or the OCD or a cheap Amazon version, WDT before leveling- I use a bamboo flag skewer, you can get by without tamping
2. Self leveling tamper - Decent tamper v2 cheaper than the Levi-tamp, even cheaper if they have any "scratch & dent"
3. Use it as is until you learn your equipment, change later if you wish. The manufacturer set where they think it will perform best

You could use a good funnel, keeps mess down during WDT. I like the OE tall funnel, I grind into a LW blind shaker (or use a LW blind tumbler) and then drop into the funnel on the PF. There are as many different ways or setups as there are people using this equipment. Find what works for you and experiment. If you don't like something sell it here. Lots of great information here as well. Enjoy your coffee.
In vino veritas.... and caffeine helps the next morning....

interseismic

#5: Post by interseismic »

The cheap amazon levelers work great. I don't think you need a leveling tamper afterward.

I haven't touched the brew pressure on mine.

blondica73 (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by blondica73 (original poster) »

Thank you for the feedback. I just ordered a leveler of amazon and I'll figure out what I'll do for the tamper, still undecided. As far as grouphead pressure, I'll keep at the factory setting of 9 bars for now.

Supporter ❤

#7: Post by blondica73 (original poster) »

A follow question, I noticed some folks changed out the 0.8mm gicleur with a 0.6mm gicleur. Is it worth the hassle?

pcrussell50

#8: Post by pcrussell50 »

Every shot every time, no matter the coffee or the grinder:
RDT=>GRIND=>WDT=>DISTRIBUTION TOOL=>TAMP (optional)

1) distribution tool: yes. Set depth to proper headspace.
2) self leveling tamper: with the distribution tool set to proper headspace, I rarely tamp anymore.
3) pressure: the LMLM is not capable of long low water debit pre infusion, it's forte is whambam right now filling of the headspace and mashing the puck into the density you want for more traditional type extractions without ultra fine grinds. It's really ideal for traditional extracting of traditional roasts.
4) gicleur: see above. Changing to the smaller gicleur will still not make it into a profiler, and it will slow down some of that whambam thrust that makes it so good for thick syrupy traditional espresso. I wouldn't do it.

You already have a machine for long low debit pre infusion anyway.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Supporter ❤

#9: Post by blondica73 (original poster) replying to pcrussell50 »

You are a genius, thank you.

pcrussell50

#10: Post by pcrussell50 replying to blondica73 »

LOL. So smart I left out the bit in step 3 about leaving it at 9 bars. Yes. In fact I set the rotary pump on my machine specifically to 9 bars and calibrated a needle valve setting to mimic the stock LMLM flow rate for traditional type "comfort" coffees. It's tough to beat, in that space.

-Peter
LMWDP #553