New La Marzocco Linea Mini - questions - Page 4

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
mohninme

#31: Post by mohninme » Jun 05, 2019, 3:59 pm

blondica73 wrote:For people who outboarded their pump and motor on Linea Mini, or installed new ones off the machine, do you have any words of wisdom or pictures? Did you use a 90-degree elbow braided ss hose when connecting to the LM?
I have the same question pending on an older thread. The discharge hose is the one part I am still certain on what to use. Standard line pressure hoses do not have sufficient working pressure. It would be nice for it to be rated at 15 bar+ and be able to get it in adjustable or pre-ordered length. Personally I need about 10+ feet.

Peter

You gave some guidance previously on my outboard pump thread Outboarding a pump
Can you go into more detail on the manufacturer of the line & fittings and maybe a few pics?
Michael

pcrussell50

#32: Post by pcrussell50 » Jun 05, 2019, 4:13 pm

I should first say that my application is simplified by the fact that my machine is "always ready" temp stable, so I don't need cooling or heating flushes. And it also has it's own dedicated steam boiler fill pump, so I just keep about an inch of water in the reservoir and let the factory boiler fill system do it's own thing since it is independent of the extraction pump. Because I wanted separate control of the solenoid and the pump, I have the pump on it's own switch, which I just flip on and off manually at my whim.

I actually used special high pressure plastic tubing, 1/4" OD on the OUTput side of the pump, inserted into male brass QuickConnects that screw into the female ports on the pump. Then I ran that up from under the sink through the now unused soap dispenser hole in the counter top by the sink, and over into the back of my machine and in-line spliced it to the tube now vacated from vibe pump outlet. My high pressure tubing is rated for 75 bar burst pressure and 25bar continuous duty.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

blondica73
Supporter ♡

#33: Post by blondica73 » Jun 05, 2019, 4:52 pm

mohninme wrote:I have the same question pending on an older thread. The discharge hose is the one part I am still certain on what to use. Standard line pressure hoses do not have sufficient working pressure. It would be nice for it to be rated at 15 bar+ and be able to get it in adjustable or pre-ordered length. Personally I need about 10+ feet.

Peter

You gave some guidance previously on my outboard pump thread Outboarding a pump
Can you go into more detail on the manufacturer of the line & fittings and maybe a few pics?
I only need about 6-7 ft of line from the pump to LM and I purchased the braided stainless steel hose from espresso parts. I also have a 3/8' bsp to 3/8' John Guest adapter that will plug into the inlet side of the pump. I'll take some pictures of the set up once done.

mohninme

#34: Post by mohninme » Jun 05, 2019, 5:09 pm

pcrussell50 wrote:I actually used special high pressure plastic tubing, 1/4" OD on the OUTput side of the pump, inserted into male brass QuickConnects that screw into the female ports on the pump. Then I ran that up from under the sink through the now unused soap dispenser hole in the counter top by the sink, and over into the back of my machine and in-line spliced it to the tube now vacated from vibe pump outlet. My high pressure tubing is rated for 75 bar burst pressure and 25bar continuous duty.
Yes, but what brand, material etc and what kind of store did you source these from. This sounds industrial not plumbing store related. thx
Michael

pcrussell50

#35: Post by pcrussell50 » replying to mohninme » Jun 05, 2019, 5:33 pm

The tube is nylon. The fittings are brass. You don't have to use nylon and brass. You can use anything you want.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

blondica73
Supporter ♡

#36: Post by blondica73 » Jun 09, 2019, 5:38 pm

Question to the group who outboarded the pump and motor on Linea Mini. Does the original motor connect to the board via a connector, or it is bare wires screwed onto posts? The reason I ask is that I would like to see if I need to buy a connector before I open up the machine.
Thank you.

blondica73
Supporter ♡

#37: Post by blondica73 » Jun 12, 2019, 1:43 pm

I read some reviews on the Baomain part you mention and it appears that the delay timing does not seem to work properly. Have you tried the part offline and see if it works as advertised?

mohninme

#38: Post by mohninme » replying to blondica73 » Jun 12, 2019, 3:34 pm

Hi Christian

That was just a suggestion, not necessarily my recommendation. I haven't hooked up my system yet so I cant speak to how well it works for me. So far I am just speaking from a potential design perspective and what should do the job, cost effectively. I see there is a note in the product description regarding not accurately controlling time. I bought a similar one (search AH3-3 on Amazon). I think its the same timer with a different base. I will post how it works, when I get around to installing it. I need to wait for my wife to go away for a couple days before I dismantle the kitchen. :shock:
Michael

blondica73
Supporter ♡

#39: Post by blondica73 » Jun 12, 2019, 4:07 pm

mohninme wrote: I need to wait for my wife to go away for a couple days before I dismantle the kitchen. :shock:
I share the feeling.

pcrussell50

#40: Post by pcrussell50 » Jun 12, 2019, 5:13 pm

blondica73 wrote:I read some reviews on the Baomain part you mention and it appears that the delay timing does not seem to work properly. Have you tried the part offline and see if it works as advertised?
I'm cornfused. What does a delay timer give you when you remote your pump?

Right now I have separate control of the solenoid and the pump. You guys can too. If you go this route:
-You can open the solenoid to the group to expose it to the plumbed line pressure for real pre infusion. I have mine regulated down, to about 2.5 bar, (which I can further regulate with my needle valve)
THEN
-You can turn the pump on for the main part of the extraction
THEN
-In the final third (search HB here for "rule of thirds"), you can turn the pump off and finish using line pressure, Slayer style, before you then close the solenoid to finish the shot.
(I can leave my pump on and slow the flow through my needle valve, to finish. But since you don't have one, rule of thirds is next best, and as with Slayer, pretty darned good).

-Peter
LMWDP #553