New La Marzocco Linea Mini - questions - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
ben8jam

#11: Post by ben8jam »

blondica73 wrote:A follow question, I noticed some folks changed out the 0.8mm gicleur with a 0.6mm gicleur. Is it worth the hassle?
Don't be put off by all the "slammed" "traditional" "syrupy" adjectives. You can achieve light bodied light roast Single Origin espressos too. It's a bit of a misconception that the mini is only good at medium blends.

I've lowered my pump pressure to 6.5 Bar and dose high to get a faster extraction. Personally, I don't go for the thick syrupy shots, I prefer lighter bodied brighter and fruiter.

I also plan on swapping the gigleur for the .6mm to mimic the larger Linea machines. Unsure of outcome till I've done it, but decreased flow should help increase lighter extractions.

pcrussell50

#12: Post by pcrussell50 »

Well sure, there are always things you can do to change the fundamental behavior of your machine. My response was predicated on the fact that the OP already has a flow profiling machine. I know for me, it is waaay more convenient to adjust pressure and flow on the fly, with my needle valve than it is to adjust the pump. And my pump is outboarded so I have open access to it. I imagine the OP can do the same through the software interface controller on his profiling machine.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Advertisement
blondica73 (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#13: Post by blondica73 (original poster) replying to pcrussell50 »

The software on the ito board I installed on my other machine is limitless. I can create any profile I want and adjust the pressure on the fly. I love the LM for its simplicity and great shots I pulled. But, yes, for pressure profiling I'll be using my other machine.

Supporter ❤

#14: Post by blondica73 (original poster) »

I decided to install the drain as well. However, I only bought the water connectors. I know that the drain connector is 1/2 BSP. Does anyone know where i could purchase the connector, without paying the overpriced LM kit? I don't mind paying for quality, but this is not something that should cost that much.

Supporter ❤

#15: Post by blondica73 (original poster) »

Is the Linea Mini supposed to be noisier if plumbed in? I just plumbed it and it appears noisier. I purchased the LM plumbing kit and set the regulator installed after the water filter pressure to 45 psi, the pressure gauge on the LMLm reads about 3 bars when machine is cold.I used 3/8 lines, per the LM plumbing kit. I checked for kinks and all water line bends look normal. Played with adjusting the line connected to the pump by adjusting the bends and it does not make a difference in pump noise. Could it be the new hose vibration?

Supporter ❤

#16: Post by blondica73 (original poster) »

I've had the LMLM for over a moth now, it is plumbed in and unmodified. It pulls great shots, I love the machine! What I'd like to be able to do is to make it quieter without major mods, like outsourcing the pump, but I'm not willing to mess with the machine to that extend. When I get the itch to do any pressure profiling I use my Mini, or for decaf in the afternoons. Overall great experience. I kept the pressure at 9 bars, bought a self leveling tamper and a leveler, all good investments.

pcrussell50

#17: Post by pcrussell50 »

For minimum intrusion into the stock machine, You could get a separate motor and pump and outboard that, while leaving the stock motor and pump in place. That's what I did.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Advertisement
Supporter ❤

#18: Post by blondica73 (original poster) replying to pcrussell50 »

Curious to which motor and pump, any suggestions?

Supporter ❤

#19: Post by blondica73 (original poster) »

I looked at the prices for both the pump and motor and it is about $800 combined, $350 for the pump and $450 for the motor, a little on the pricey side.

pcrussell50

#20: Post by pcrussell50 »

I paid a little over $200 delivered for a rebuilt motor and a brand new Procon pump. Procon is the "other" big name in beverage/espresso pumps. We can talk some more if you're interested. I have no business interest in whatever I tell you. I have mine under the kitchen sink. Nice and quiet.

-Peter
LMWDP #553