New La Marzocco GS3 Vacuum Breaker Installed

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
stahlee

#1: Post by stahlee »

Just wanted to give a heads up for fellow GS3 owners there is a new vacuum breaker available. I just installed it this morning. Much simpler to work with. Looks to be the similar model for other LM models like Strada. Hoping for a long life in the machine. :D

★ Helpful

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by Peppersass »

This looks like a major improvement. It can be difficult to get to the previous version without removing the back cover, and it's a bear to get the spout aligned so the tube takes off in the right direction.

It appears to be made of plastic. True? It doesn't seem to be designed to be installed or removed with a wrench, and it likely would be damaged if grabbed with pliers, so is it supposed to be screwed/unscrewed by hand? Is that an O-ring at the bottom to seal it?

What's the price and do you have the part number? Does it come with the tube? It looks a bit larger in diameter than the previous version, but I assume it'll still fit over the barb of the fitting above the drain box (or the tee shared with the OPV, which older machines like mine need.)

Advertisement
owlbass

#3: Post by owlbass replying to Peppersass »

No Part number but this looks to be it. $100 seems pretty steep. I hope it lasts longer than the old one.

https://home.lamarzoccousa.com/product/ ... m-breaker/

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by Peppersass »

Just answered my own questions. The latest version of the GS/3 parts catalog, V3.4, shows the new SMA valve, which is part number B.2.029. It also requires a copper crush washer, part number L100/1A. It has a nut at the bottom and it looks like it screws directly into the boiler, replacing the nipple fitting that's used with the old-style breaker. Is that correct? If so, I like that change, too.

It looks like it doesn't come with the tube, so if you have the much older non-tube version you'll need the tube and a tee fitting to share the fitting above the drain box with the OPV.

I checked the tech bulletins on the support page and they haven't yet updated the latest bulletin about the SMA valve to include the GS/3. The bulletin says it can only be used on the KB90, Leva, Strada and Linea PB. The valve is temperature-activated, so it matters what it's connected to. Evidently, the GS/3 has passed the test.

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by Peppersass »

owlbass wrote:$100 seems pretty steep. I hope it lasts longer than the old one.
Yes. The old one was $38.24 in the September 2019 price list. One O-ring, valve stem and valve seat for that version of the valve total $7. And in many cases you only need the O-ring, which is all of $1.25.

So, with the SMA rebuild kit going for $40, it should last at least six times longer than the old valve, and depending on your water composition, up to 32 times as long. I say that because I've found that the service interval is dependent on water composition. When I was using a Claris Everpure softener set to 70 ppm hardness, I had to service the valve at least every six months. But with my cation softener, the service interval is much longer. Actually, I can't remember the last time I had to do it. Pretty sure it's been over two years. Maybe over three years. I also found that with the Claris the main problem was mineral deposit buildup. With the cation softener it's been the O-ring wearing out, and thus it's been very inexpensive to service the valve.

That said, it looks like with the SMA valve you might be able to get away with replacing just the O-rings and what looks like a washer of some sort, and just cleaning the metal parts, which I'm sure would be much less expensive. That assumes the O-rings and washer are available separately.

To be fair, I bought a second vacuum breaker so I could have a serviced breaker on hand to quickly swap out the one in need of service and take my time cleaning it and replacing parts. The list cost for that would be $76.48, closer to the price of the SMA valve. Of course, I don't how much time or effort would be involved servicing the SMA valve, so I can't compare (and wouldn't spring another $100 for a backup valve.) It certainly looks like the internal mechanism is much more complicated.

The one factor that argues in favor of spending the money for the SMA valve is the hassle of accessing the previous version and getting it to align properly. That might convince me.

stahlee (original poster)

#6: Post by stahlee (original poster) »

Yeah, they just added to the website a few days ago. So this one attaches straight to the boiler. Much easier than the old one since you had to line it up vertically and this one just wrench it on. There is no tube with it. I didn't realize there was an older version that didn't use a tube.

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by Peppersass »

stahlee wrote:I didn't realize there was an older version that didn't use a tube.
Yes, the original GS/3's vacuum breaker vented straight up, spewing steam and water droplets inside the machine. That could lead to water getting into the brain box and onto the logic board. Not good. Starting with S/N 636, they added a silicone chimney to it that I guess contained some of the splatter. Starting with serial number 1170 they introduced the valve with a right-angle spout that connects to a tube leading to a vent fitting above the drain box next to the OPV vent. Owners of older machines were offered an upgrade kit that included the new valve, the tube and a tee to share the single vent above the drain box with the OPV. Looks like the new SMA version is plug-and-play with your existing tube.

All four versions are shown in the parts manual.

Advertisement
cebseb

#8: Post by cebseb »

I have had this part installed in my Mistral since May of last year. Today was the first time I had to service it. A persistent drip was escaping through the steam port. There were two seals I decided to replace with silicone dura 70 seals (what I had on hand). I am not sure if the original seals needed replacing, but cleaning the mating surfaces of the parts was not enough to resolve the issue.

I'm quite happy with the new part. The previous vacuum breaker needed servicing every 3-4 months. Even if the seals I removed don't have oem replacements, I would be happy to purchase a brand new part.

stahlee (original poster)

#9: Post by stahlee (original poster) »

It's also super easy to install

DaveC

#10: Post by DaveC »

The ACS Vesuvius has used that same/similar breaker for 4 years now, they seem very reliable and are listed as a memory metal vacuum breaker with positive open and closing. At least the Vesuvius one is and it looks identical to the LM one except for the code. I checked the factory supply catalogue and I only know of one product from the factory suppliers listing like this. It may be there is another code from different suppliers?

The ones I have are a 1/4 inch fitting.They do unfortunately cost the manufacturers 7 times the normal vacuum valve price and that's supposedly at discount from the factory suppliers! I keep a few spares handy as I'm still on my original 6 year old conventional vacuum breaker and will change it out at some point.