New EspressoForge owner, not getting espresso

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Barb

Postby Barb » Jul 23, 2016, 9:42 pm

I just received EspressoForge V 2.1.tried a number of times to night to get an espresso shot;
Using fresh beans (from Freezer- medium roast, Italian style beans from Sawada..
Using Lido 3ET grinder grinding very fine as recommended for the Forge
Water heated (Bonita kettle) to 200 F
Using 20 g ground coffee
Filling the tube to the top

My experience to night- trying 4 times
Coffee starts to drip slightly as soon as I insert the piston to the first "o"ring(barely in)
the gauge barely moves to 3 bar
I have NO resistance in pushing the piston down. From what I recall testing an early version of the Forge, the piston should not be so easy to push down, should take effort.
My Forge is suspiciously effortless

My Forge came with a separate black gasket (Group Head Seal?) . Perhaps that is something I need to install? No indication of that in any of the videos

What am I not doing correctly?

spressomon

Postby spressomon » Jul 23, 2016, 10:44 pm

Sounds like a grinder issue: Grind finer. I also have V2.1 and it is capable of producing excellent espresso. Stay with the red silicone group gasket...

I typically will dose around 20g (I am using 26.5mm tall IMS baskets)...I will pre-infuse around 20-30psi for 10-seconds or so...then 110-130psi press...then taper the pressure back down for the last 8-10 seconds of the press.

Grind finer ;)
No Espresso = Depresso

Barb

Postby Barb » Jul 23, 2016, 11:23 pm

Thanks,
Not sure I can grind any finer... Am almost at Turkish on my Lido 3et..
My one previous experience with the Forge was that it took a bit of pressure to push the piston down.
I have minimal, perhaps no resistance. IF I pump the piston up and down I can get to 3 bar pressure

Will try again, though

Thank you

samuellaw178
Team HB

Postby samuellaw178 » Jul 23, 2016, 11:48 pm

Around what setting are you on Lido 3ET? But yeah, I agree you have to grind even finer.

spressomon

Postby spressomon » Jul 24, 2016, 12:04 am

The weight of the piston is pressing coffee therefore you need more resistance at the puck: Grind finer or dose more. But at a 20g sweet spot for the EF grinding finer will get you there.

Or your beans are well past their useful age...
No Espresso = Depresso

Barb

Postby Barb » Jul 24, 2016, 12:35 am

On my Lido 3E et if I turn any further to the right ( fine grind) I end up back in Coarse
I gauge my setting by how hard it is to grind.. I cannot tell by the rings. I am getting a grind that seems akin to what I get on my HG-1
Using 20g coffee.. Boiling water(212 F)
And I get no pressure on the Forge
Am practicing with older beans so I do not expect cream. But I would think I would feel pressure.
I don't and my gauge barely moves

AZRich

Postby AZRich » Jul 24, 2016, 1:42 am

Hi Barb -

I just got my new forge Friday, and it took me several tries of finer grind, finer, finer on my
71mm hand grinder until I finally nearly choked it, then backed off a bit and now am getting
beautiful speckled wonderful shots. The first few did run through very fast with little pressure.
(I'm loving mine so far more than the La Pavoni I recently sold ...)
I am using 18g in an 18g VST basket so far, not the stock one. Have you tried your HG-One instead
of the little Lido grinder?

Not sure about the gasket you mention. I assume you must have a group gasket in place.

Rich

MB

Postby MB » Jul 24, 2016, 2:14 am

If the ring is fully tightening the basket against the rubber gasket around the shower screen and the espresso is coming through the basket holes, then you have to grind finer than what you have done so far. I assume you are tamping of course.

I also had gushers at first. I was amazed how much finer I had to grind compared to my La Pavoni. I use a Lido E. Don't worry, you won't get coarser by continuing to set finer, as it will eventually tighten all the way to one extreme. Make bigger adjustments until you choke the basket and then slowly back off of that.

For ease of testing you don't need to preheat. I never do at work anyway and get delicious esspresso.
LMWDP #472

Hudson

Postby Hudson » Jul 24, 2016, 9:41 am

Barb wrote:Am practicing with older beans so I do not expect cream. But I would think I would feel pressure.

I think this is your problem. If the beans are too stale you won't be able to build up enough pressure, even if you grind very fine. It is worth it to use fresh beans, even when you're testing/practicing.
LMWDP #534

Barb

Postby Barb » Jul 24, 2016, 5:31 pm

Thank you MB and Azrich
My experience parallels yours.Thanks for the info on the Lido..
Yes, I had gushers first, had to grind finer and finer , Really fine.. I may be at the choking point as I had got pressure at 9 bar, even higher- finally there is resistance!!
Still not there yet with respect to a speckled or multi color cream
I need to practice but clearly I am much more in the ball park
Amazing what this metal tube device can do :)

Thank you again