New ECM Synchronika, experienced user: review

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
berkinet

#1: Post by berkinet »

Well, I have had my new ECM Synchronika for a week now and wanted to share my first impressions. There are any number of reviews of this machine, but most are from people new to home espresso, or upgrading from simpler or smaller machines. In my case, I am downgrading from a La San Marco SPRINT-E and also own a La Cimbali M29 in a second home. The reason for the down grade was due to a move from a house to an apartment (and making home #2 our primary residence). So, here, in no pareticular order, are my notes and comments on using the ECM.
  • No volumetric dosing. Although I can pull a manual shot easily, I usually make milk drinks and just let the machine do the dosing. While not perfect by any means, volumetric dosing makes it much easier to get the shot close to "right." This is especially true when trying to dial in the grind after switching beans. The ECM has a shot timer. But, that is really only a rough guide as the necessary time will depend on several factors. So, it means paying more attention to the color change and no more overlapping steaming with extraction. BTW, I knew this would be the case going in. But, I was not interested in paying the premium for a volumetric machine.
  • After almost 30 years, I am back to using a reservoir. The new location is just not conducive to plumbing the machine in. It is a rented apartment and I doubt the landlord would appreciate the holes necessary to do the job. The problem with the ECM is twofold: no sight-glass to see the water level, and you must unload the cup tray to add water. The drain is also manual, but much easier to accomplish since the drain tray lifts out easily.
  • Steaming. A mixed bag here. Both of my HX machines had plenty of steam power, and steaming was fast. The ECM seems to have a bit less power, but also allows better control and makes it easier to get a rich micro-foam.
  • Warming tray. Small machine, small capacity warming tray. So it goes.
  • Warmup time. Here the ECM is the hands down winner. Off to brewing is well under 15 minutes.
  • E61 group. No real issues. But, both of my other machines have deeper portafilters and while I can't really find anything specific, I think I prefer the depth of those portaflters.
That is about it for now. If I find more points worth mentioning, I will add theme here in a follow-up reply.

Richard

cibby
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by cibby »

Hey Richard,

I'm a new Synch owner as well but only have one day worth of experience w mine. Couple questions/comments. On the steam power, I think you can increase the temperature of the steam boiler and that will increase the power. Curious about the portafilter comment. Are you referring to the baskets being shallower or the actual portafilter? I haven't purchased new baskets but plan to get some kind of precision that's closer to 20g, so will be deeper. Are you planning to get a bottomless? They make 2 kinds, the Gran Crema (which looks shallower) and a premium stainless (looks deeper). I messaged w ECM and they said the premium is stainless steel whereas the Gran Crema is chrome covered brass. Oh, I agree the water tank setup could be better.

berkinet (original poster)

#3: Post by berkinet (original poster) »

cibby wrote:... On the steam power, I think you can increase the temperature of the steam boiler and that will increase the power.
That is true. However, higher steam temp will also heat the milk faster, reducing the time you have to texture it. All-in-all, I did not find the default setting to be a problem, just something to note.
cibby also wrote:Curious about the portafilter comment. Are you referring to the baskets being shallower or the actual portafilter?
It is the depth of the portafilter. I am no expert on this, but there are some manufacturers who claim it is better to have the coffee container be deeper and smaller diameter. I.e. to keep a constant volume of coffee, as you deepen the container, you must narrow the opening. Perhaps others can weigh in on that and I am sure there must be more than one thread on the subject here.
cibby then wrote:I messaged w ECM and they said the premium is stainless steel whereas the Gran Crema is chrome covered brass.
All the portafilters I have ever owned were chromed brass. The chrome eventually wears off from cleaning, particularly on the inside bottom, but I have never noticed a problem - you'd probably have to drink a LOT of coffee to have an issue with chrome poisoning :D