New Dalla Corte Mina

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
dgia

#1: Post by dgia »

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to share some pictures and thoughts about my new Dalla Corte Mina. I received it in mid-November, but the holidays kept me pretty busy so I haven't had a chance to post. This is not a well-represented machine here in North America, but it is pretty special. One of the challenges with this decision was the lack of testimonial available. There isn't much documented on the Internet about this machine and much of the little that is out there is in Italian. Based on hours of conversation with the great Ben Piff at Clive Coffee, I took a leap of faith and wasn't disappointed.

If you're not familiar, this machine offers some uncommon flexibility. Here are a some links that explain it better than I can:

Clive Coffee Product Page: https://clivecoffee.com/product/dalla-c ... o-machine/

The Dalla Corte Mina: Innovation in Practice: https://clivecoffee.zendesk.com/hc/en-u ... n-Practice

The 5 Best espresso machines you can buy: https://clivecoffee.com/2017/08/the-5-b ... u-can-buy/

This is a pretty unique machine. While it has some features represented in other machines, I don't believe that any other machine has them all:

-Programmable volumetric dosing.
-Temperature adjustable to 1/10 of a degree.
-Manual mode - It can be a lever, but with more control and repeatability.
-Aperature-based flow control.
-Flow profiling.
-App based profiling and configuration.
-3L steam boiler, .5L brew.

Because there wasn't a lot out there, I'd like to share my experience with this marvelous machine to help others that might be interested. I've learned most of what I know from the people of this forum and I hope that I can make a small contribution by sharing my experience with a unique and under-represented machine.

Here is my basic assessment after two months of use:

Pros:

Clive Coffee: I cannot imagine buying an espresso machine anywhere else. Ben Piff, specifically, is a remarkable human being.

Asthetics: This is highly subjective. There are obviously many beautiful choices out there. Let's just say that I'm very happy with my choice.

Size: Commercial machine, massive boilers, steams milk in seconds, all in a relatively compact footprint. Awestruck.

Finish: I opted for the black chalkboard side panels. I don't care for default yellow. Finishes are top-notch and gorgeous.

Quality: Other than the drip tray, I could not imagine a higher degree of quality.

Great Espresso: I have never had anything remotely close to what this machine and my EG-1 produce. Before the Mina, I hated espresso unless it had milk and syrup. Now, I find myself in with a big smile and a good mood after hitting a straight shot.

Cons:

Expensive: Cost is relative. I personally think it's a better value than some of the top-end machines priced within a couple of thousand dollars, but this isn't a machine that should have the word value anywhere near it. It's a luxury item and the shots it pulls are luxurious.

54mm Portafilter: I started a thread about this and, while it really hasn't mattered that I'm using a 54mm PF, it would definitely be more convenient had Dalla Corte followed the "standard". I suppose that, had they done so, they wouldn't be as innovative.

Drip Tray: Basic/cheap(ish) construction. Scratches easily. A bit flimsy. I'm going to order a spare.

Leap of faith: Buying a machine like this with little testimony, information or hands-on is not a small leap. Fortunately, it worked out.

The App: Imagine buying a $3M Bugatti, jumping in, and finding a Hyundai interior. That is the difference between the quality of the machine and the app. While it doesn't get in the way of great espresso, it's a frustrating annoyance.

Manual: The manual is pretty, but it summarizes better than it explains. It wouldn't have been very hard to provide clear and detailed instructions.

Lonliness: Here I sit on a deserted deserted Island with my crazy espresso machine. Nobody to learn from or share ideas with. Fortunately, Clive just got a couple and will certainly share some knowledge.

Verdict

This is a pretty expensive machine when comparing other options. There are much, much better values available. I'm not aware of a machine that can do what this one can, at least not in a small(ish) form factor, with a single group and at 120v. As we chase the "perfection of minutiae", this machine gives the barista near-limitless flexibility to bend coffee in ways that could previously only be imagined. I would most definitely recommend this machine for someone who is either at the limit of their machine's capability, or wants to grow into a machine with no boundaries.

Here's my setup:

Dalla Corte Mina Espresso Machine: https://clivecoffee.com/product/dalla-c ... o-machine/
Lyn-Weber EG-1 Grinder: https://lynweber.com/products/eg-1/
Kinetico K5 Water Purification System: https://www.kinetico.com/drinking-water ... r-station/
Acaia Pearl Scale: https://acaia.co/collections/coffee-sca ... 3774125079
Acaia Lunar Scale: https://acaia.co/collections/coffee-sca ... 3739128855

Dalla Corte Mina

I've got my Mina wedged into a pretty small space. My wife and I really appreciate the Mina's aesthetics. It's bold, but relatively compact.

I'm also including a picture of the app's flow profile page. There's a lot you can do in the app.

EG-1

This has been a great grinder. Insane quality. I find single-dosing to be a bit of a pain, but worth the effort. I've got a Monolith Flat and Monolith Conical on pre-order for April. Looking forward to comparing.

Kinetico K5

This is my water system. I've been using different versions of this system for over 10 years. In my opinion, Kinetico is as good as it gets for a portable unit. I've got five cartridges installed:

-Pre-filter (carbon)
-VOC filter
-Pesticide filter
-Reverse Osmosis filter
-Mineral cartridge

My unfiltered water is of very high quality and is typically at around 30PPM dissolved solid, so no need to soften. I was at 2PPM before adding minerals and am at 32PPM with minerals.

The system is plumbed to a hot water dispenser that goes into a hot/cold outlet on my sink. I tapped into the supply line when plumbing my Mina.

Here's a shot of me drilling into our carrara marble counter. My wife had to leave the room. It's a 1 3/8" hole that can be filled with a stainless plug if/when I leave here.

Plumbing

I sort of did this myself. It went well until my wife had me pose for a picture, distracting me and causing me cut the wrong line and dump 50 gallons of water onto my hardwood. This was also not the best time to find out that both my house and under-sink shut-off valves had failed. I had to have 6 boards replaced, which took an entire day and wasn't cheap. I also found that, without a constant 2 degree down-slope, my Mina wouldn't drain. I have a farm sink with a very tight clearance making this task insanely difficult. I ended up having a plumber come in and clean up my drain line because, at that point, I had had enough.

Thanks for looking!

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Beautiful set-up.

Regarding the plumbing - OUCH!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

jammin

#3: Post by jammin »

I like the stealthy positioning of the manometer on the group-head. Great write up, a video is the only thing missing

dgia (original poster)

#4: Post by dgia (original poster) »

Thanks folks. I do need to post a couple of videos. I know that would have helped me when researching. I'll update when I have something to share. :)

cruiten

#5: Post by cruiten »

I like the looks of the Mina, but what is that toggle switch between the boiler and pump manometers?

In my opinion that toggle switch looks a bit out of place on such a nice machine.

dgia (original poster)

#6: Post by dgia (original poster) »

That's a big fat power switch. I agree with you 100%. :)

raminer

#7: Post by raminer »

Great write-up and very timely for me! I am just returning my new Rocket R60V because it just does not work. I was upgrading for an R58 as I wanted to have a machine that can do profiling and I also like the idea of controlling it from an Android App. The R60V is just not ready for prime time. I have had two machines with no fewer than four separate problems. I was also never able to connect via Android just iOS and the app and method of connecting (the machine acts as its own WIFI AP) are just horrible. I had been thinking of going either giving up on the profiling and going with a la marzocco linea mini or the GS3.. but then started thinking about just throwing budget constraints out the window and going for the Dalla Corte Mina. I had the same concern you did about lack of reviews.. so it was nice to see your appear. I was thinking of getting their grinder, I currently have a mazzer mini type-b which has a lot of clumping w/the coffees I like. I also have a Monolith on order, coming in July.

With all that background.. what do you think, should I make the jump and join you?

Does the app connect via Bluetooth or over WIFI? I know you said its a poor implementation but it looks far better than what Rocket had.

When I get the machine dialed in and I am traveling it seems like my wife can use it with push button control and not worry about the paddle, is that true?

Anything else I should consider?

dgia (original poster)

#8: Post by dgia (original poster) replying to raminer »

Sorry for the late reply, Raminer. I don't know much about the grinder, but it seems to be more aligned with a cafe setting as there is some sort of automation/interaction that will automatically select a dose based on what you're doing with the Mina. I have a EG-1, which is a masterpiece. but there are also some things that I don't like about it. They are related to single-dose workflow issues, which aren't going to be a problem with a hopper. I have both Monolith grinders on pre-order and look forward to seeing if there are any workflow improvements.

As for the Mina, my wife has just recently started pulling shots and she doesn't have a problem at all. I haven't set volumetric dosing and she just watches the clock and scale. I'm eventually going to get the LW bean vault and automate that for her, including setting up volume so she has fewer steps. setting volumetric dosing is really just dialing in a grind and then pushing the selector knob for a few seconds until it blinks. Pull your shot and the push the selector when you hit your dose. From then on, you just hit the selector and you'll get your exact dose. It's highly accurate.

Here are my biggest pros and cons:

+ Pulls a really, really fantastic shot of espresso. I've truly not had anything close to this and can no longer drink cafe coffee.
+ Really easy to use and automate.
+ Love the automated cleaning cycle.

- App is a complete joke. As I said in my original post, it works, and it's a minor issue, but DC REALLY missed some opportunities here.
- Drip tray is flimsy and water gets on the counter (marble etching) during the clean cycle.
- Documentation is more of a summary. Not an issue once you figure things out, but frustrating up front.
- 54mm PF is a bit annoying as my doses are smaller than I'd like. (15g in a triple basket)

The app connects with Bluetooth and you have to scan and select your Mina every single time. Awful. The UI is junk and it's poorly thought out and buggy. I haven't done much with flow profiling, so I pretty much just use the app for the clock right now. I'm going to start playing with temperature soon and will then move on to flow profiling. Bottom line here is that the app works fine, but it's a crap experience.

Overall, it's a really beautiful machine which is one of its biggest draws. If you want to get geeky, the manual mode (lever) is amazing. You don't have to touch the lever at all if you don't want to. When in auto mode, pulling the lever flushes the group for 2s.

I can't say whether you should get a Mina. It's not perfect, but I don't think any espresso machine is. If I had room for an Opera, that's probably what I would have gotten. In the US, I don't think there is a better machine than the Mina, but that's based on research as I'm a newbie and haven't played with too many machines. I have played with a GS3 and Slayer and do think the Mina beats them both across the board but, again, that's subjective.

If I had to do it again, I'd get a Mina. I think the closest option in the US is a Synesso MVP. I'd have a look at that if I were you, but the tech is a bit dated.

I'll keep a better eye on this thread, so please let me know if you have questions. I'll try to post some videos as well.

ottefrep

#9: Post by ottefrep »

Love the look of the Mina.
I agree with your opinion on the EG-1
I wouldn't sweat the 54mm.
pulling great shots, is all that matters.

RyanP

#10: Post by RyanP »

dgia wrote: + Pulls a really, really fantastic shot of espresso. I've truly not had anything close to this and can no longer drink cafe coffee.
I don't doubt that the machine is great, it looks like it has lots of neat capabilities, especially for coaxing the most out of light roasts. But, I think a lot of the credit for the great espresso you're pulling needs to go to your grinder. The EG-1 is a truly excellent grinder. It's doing more of the heavy lifting then you may realize. You could pair that grinder with an $800 Rancilio Silvia and pull some really excellent shots of the blends you're using, like the Vivace Dolce. Again, not to take away anything from the Dalla Corte. I'm sure it's awesome.