New Coffee Bar Design Ideas - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Midway (original poster)

#11: Post by Midway (original poster) »

I was just told the coffee bar will be installed December 7th. I removed the old desk and cabinet and now need to at least rough in electrical for a dedicated 20 amp and 15 amp circuit and plumbing for a sink and an espresso machine.

With a crawl space under the bar I hopefully have access to run electrical and plumbing though I need to figure out where Hot and cold water lines are and where a drain is. We have a powder room on the other side of the coffee bar wall but the plumbing is on a different wall and I'm not sure if it is routed back towards the crawl space. I'll see how far I get before needing to bring in a plumber. At least any holes I knock out of the wall will be hidden behind the bar.

She chose quartzite countertops for the coffee/wine bar to match her new kitchen countertop. Coffee and wine are the top two stain risks. I'll need to find something nice looking to place the espresso machine on to catch most of the spills and spritzing sprays.

ggcadc

#12: Post by ggcadc »

I did this just last year and all these suggestions are on point. I added a bar sink with a cup rinsed and that thing has been suuuuper useful.

Midway (original poster)

#13: Post by Midway (original poster) replying to ggcadc »

What is a cup rinsed? Not sure if I can add that at this point with sink and beverage center refrigerator ordered, not knowing what it means. Thanks.

ggcadc

#14: Post by ggcadc »

Sorry, cup rinser, autocorrect.
This is the sink:
AguaStella AS1514XGB Gunmetal Black Bar Sink with Glass Rinser Stainless Steel Undermount Prep Kitchen Sink 23-1/4 x 14 Inches Single Bowl https://a.co/d/eoQO0YL

Moxiechef
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by Moxiechef »

When I wired mine, I pulled two 20 amp circuits. One for the fridge, water kettle, grinders and one for the espresso machine. The one for the espresso machine, I pulled 12g Three Wire so that in the future, if I needed 240v, all I had to do was change the breaker and plug.

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#16: Post by pizzaman383 »

Consider raising the countertop height. It helps if you ever want a lever.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

npf

#17: Post by npf »

Very similar to the other comments, having gone through this myself a couple of times already.

1. Definitely run a drain, and direct line plumbing
2. Don't forget about under sink space for a water filter/softener
3. Dedicated power source, so you're not competing with other appliances on the same electrical circuit
4. Although this is more personal, I would consider moving the sink to the extreme side (left or right) of the countertop, as your workflow may be impeded if you don't have enough room to keep everything on one side of the sink (based on the current design above)
5. Consider room for a garbage can unless you use the sink to dispose of coffee grounds

Whatever you choose to do, enjoy it!

Midway (original poster)

#18: Post by Midway (original poster) »

Thanks for the additional suggestions. Keep in mind the cabinets are designed and being built and will be installed December 7th and the sink is waiting for pick up. This kitchen remodel with coffee/wine bar addition is all my wife's idea. I was happy with what we had.

At this point I am left with figuring out how to plumb the sink and Espresso Machine and how many dedicated circuits to run. The beverage center only requires 15 amp but the specs ask for a dedicated circuit.

Thanks again.

Midway (original poster)

#19: Post by Midway (original poster) »

Coffee/Wine Bar installation is getting close. I'll chose a plumber after all and not attempt it myself.

I'll rough out electrical myself and need to relocate the vacuum inlet so we can still use it with under sink access.

To plumb the Espresso Machine, what type of fitting will I need? I need a tee of some type to start since I need to vent up in the wall. Would I need a Y, or even one more connection point, connecting to the horizontal pipe that comes from the T installed in the wall? One outlet to connect the sink pee trap, one for the Espresso drain and one capped off for clean out if ever necessary?

I'll need to find longer hoses, the ones that came with my Alex Duetto IV Plus aren't long enough to reach from the machine, down into the cabinet, and over to the drain and water connections under the sink.

That makes me nervous with all the holes I need to drill in the quartzite countertop. A large hole to fit the Alex 20 amp cord, hole or holes to put the drain and supply line for the Espresso Machine and one for the grinder though I could use the same hole for both power cords. Space is tight to even run the cords behind and/or above the cabinet drawers so I'll need to put the electrical outlets under the sink.

Midway (original poster)

#20: Post by Midway (original poster) »

Progress. Now need to pull 2 more electrical runs, see if I can find a place to move the thermostat, remove the phone jack and replace the sheetrock. She is adding tile under and between the cabinets all the way to the ceiling.

With my wife's goal to store away as many if not all coffee accessories, any creative ideas for a hidden knock box? I wonder if knocking on one attached to the under-sink door would put too much stress on the hinges over time? I would just dump them in a typical garbage can but she likes to use the grounds in her gardens to deter slugs and they help the soil. I need to figure out convenient Espresso and coffee accessory organizing options for the drawers and cabinets at some point too. Thanks.