New Arduino Victoria black Eagle VA833

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
obnauticus

#1: Post by obnauticus »

It feels ridiculous to type this out....but I just purchased a used Victoria Arduino Black Eagle Volumetric for a very good deal ($3000). It's the dual portafilter version. I'm upgrading to it from my Rancilio Silvia.

I'm curious, does anyone have experience with this machine? Any gotchas or maintenance tips that could help? Really want to know how to get the most out of this ridiculous machine.

I've already done the following:
Replaced the encoder on the front with a better one and a new dial.
Polished all of the plastic optical pieces with nouvis.
Replacing some of the gaskets per the preventative maintenance specified in their manual.
Buying a new drip pan and grill (didn't come with the machine).

Link related. It's the machine loaded into the rear of my car...https://imgur.com/a/0o5AVpP

Edit/ also any tips for powering this thing are appreciated. I don't have 220V @ 32A in my kitchen and I'm thinking of buying a charger inverter and a LiFePO4 rack battery to power it.

More internal photos:
https://imgur.com/a/7fLB31o

braxtonjens

#2: Post by braxtonjens »

No experience with that machine.
I hear it's nice!

Getting power shouldn't be hard to do, if you combine two 15/20 amp breakers In your panel you can run a 220 circuit to the machine.

An electrician can do that in no time at all.
“Coffee is always a good idea”
LMWDP #617

obnauticus (original poster)

#3: Post by obnauticus (original poster) replying to braxtonjens »

I rent :(

lancealot

#4: Post by lancealot »

I'm thinking of buying a charger inverter and a LiFePO4 rack battery to power it.
Sounds expensive and perhaps a bit dangerous. Maybe have a conversation with your landlord about allowing you to pay for the electrical work necessary to power this thing. I know if you were my tenant I would be more inclined to do that rather than allowing you to have a bank of server batteries on my property.

#5: Post by obnauticus (original poster) replying to lancealot »

Already tried the conversation route and offered to pay. He's not about it. Dude probably has a bunch of unpermitted work that he got done under the table and doesn't want anyone nosing around.

I'm more likely to just move or buy a house at this point anyway. The inverter and battery approach is also just a sunk cost that I don't need anyway.

Yes I'm about to either move or buy a house to run my new espresso machine.

Jeff
Team HB

#6: Post by Jeff »

What is behind the range?

"With a machine like that, what's more important, coffee or eating?"

Electric dryer outlets are another potential spot.

#7: Post by obnauticus (original poster) replying to Jeff »

Looked high and low, it's all gas or 120V. I checked the breaker as well, no dice. It's also full so I'd need a sub panel- it seems the universe is aligning to not let me use this machine.

borrik

#8: Post by borrik »

The machine is absolutely stunning, per specs it has 15L boiler. I think its enough to use it as home hot water supply :)

braxtonjens

#9: Post by braxtonjens »

Since you can't run electrical,

This might be an idea to explore:

https://caffewerks.com/collections/elec ... t-splitter

If thinking right this "combines" two 110/120 outlets/circuits into one, so you could run your 220 machine off it.
Not elegant for home use, and you would have to use plugs off two separate circuits
“Coffee is always a good idea”
LMWDP #617

#10: Post by obnauticus (original poster) replying to braxtonjens »

Will this actually work with my machine though? It draws 7kW which @ 7000W/110V = 60A. This only gives me 30A at 110V which is half of what I would need

Plus the wiring still needs to handle like 7kW on the return (or 30A across both phases).

https://quick220.com/ Is another similar solution but the fundamental problem still stands that I simply will some way to get 7kW across two phases with wiring which cannot support the current to do so at 110V (the installed breakers are for 15A each and are not wired to handle anything more).