Mypressi Twist V2 Problems

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Reezy

#1: Post by Reezy »

I use the Mypressi a lot. I pull no less than 4 double (22.5g) shots through my unit every single day. Sometimes as many as 10. I have had the unit for about a year now. I use it in conjunction with my Compak K-3 Touch grinder, and I get amazing results.. when it works.

I believe I have a unique viewpoint on the Mypressi as I believe I probably use it more than anyone in the entire world

I have had the unit fully replaced 1 time. Then the sides broke and fell off the handle, and they sent me the "handle repair kit" which was actually just some 5 minute epoxy 2 new handle sides to glue on. The construction of the handle sides and how they fasten is pretty poor. More than half of the pins that hold it in place were broken through the mail. I have also had issues with the gas cap not sealing all the way (I believe it has to do with the handle sides not being in the right place). I have also experienced the trigger getting stuck down many times (when this happens, the only way to fix it is to force open the head to relieve the pressure, or else it will sit there for nearly a half hour slowly leaking out gas (even if cartridge and gas handle are removed).

Yesterday the sides fell off for the 2nd time, I re-glued them on again using the same 5 minute epoxy that they sent me, but that doesnt stop the other problems.

I am also experiencing sealing issues. The problem is how the lid and head seal together. The black rubbery plastic coating that goes on the outside rim of the head and on the underside rim of the lid is very thin on the edges, and this is where the seal is made. After repeat use, it starts to wear away (on both of them) and the tolerance is very close, so once that wears it wont seal without you holding it very tight. It doesnt matter if you get more O-rings from Espressi or not, it will still happen (I have went through 3 sets of O rings also).

So currently, to pull a shot, I have to turn the lid clockwise as hard as I can and hold it while I pull the trigger until the head builds up enough pressure to get the shot started. It is a pain in the but, it also means I cant get an accurate timing on my extraction because my hand is occupied.

Maybe if I got an o-ring of a larger diameter this would solve the sealing problems, I will have to check that out. At the bottom of this post I have some pictures showing what I am talking about. I also have a video showing what happens when the handle gets stuck down, as well as pics and video of what happens when it goes right.

I have contacted Mypressi several times over the past week to no avail. They are not answering their business phones or email. They were initially very good with helping me, but after the unit broke several times, they seemed less receptive towards helping me, which is sad because the product produces some primo espresso (comparable to the LM G/S 3 even when done right). I fear they may be going out of business in the near future if they dont straighten things out.

Any help would be appreciated, I mostly wanted to share my problems with everyone

I would also like to add that my unit has never damaged or mis-used in any way. It has never been dropped and has never even left my kitchen counter top .

Heres the link to the video that I mentioned showing the stuck trigger with the slow gas release:
http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/10/b7v.mp4/#
Heres a video of a good shot:
http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/703/jek.mp4/

mypressi

#2: Post by mypressi »

Hi Reezy,

You certainly do use the mypressi TWIST a great deal!

I apologize for the difficulties you had getting in touch with us as we are very attentive to all our customers, but your emails for some reason were caught in our support-group spam filter. However I noticed the team has contacted you this evening and will resolve any outstanding issues. By the way, the difficulty you are having sealing the top cap can be resolved by placing a very light smear of vaseline on the o-ring.

Best regards,
Stephen
CEO

parkerto

#3: Post by parkerto »

Reezy wrote: "I use the Mypressi a lot. I pull no less than 4 double (22.5g) shots through my unit every single day. Sometimes as many as 10. I have had the unit for about a year now. I use it in conjunction with my Compak K-3 Touch grinder, and I get amazing results.. when it works.
I would first like to applaud you, it appears to me that you are not trying to use this forum to trash a manufacturer; you have genuine issues that you simply want resolved; I am an interested observer that hopes Mypressi has resolved your issues correctly because my wife just ordered one for my birthday.

On another note, the video of the good shot is a very good shot with the bottomless filter functionality of the Mypressi-well done. What bean are you using there?

parkerto

#4: Post by parkerto »

mypressi wrote:I apologize for the difficulties you had getting in touch with us as we are very attentive to all our customers, but your emails for some reason were caught in our support-group spam filter. However I noticed the team has contacted you this evening and will resolve any outstanding issues. By the way, the difficulty you are having sealing the top cap can be resolved by placing a very light smear of vaseline on the o-ring.
Thank you for responding to this customer's post. I am happy that you did because it gives me a little comfort and I applaud you for addressing your customer's concern so quickly when you learned of the support forum issues. You may have read from my other post in this forum that my wife ordered a Mypressi for me as a birthday gift. I must admit, after reading this post I am more apprehensive than when I selected Mypressi. You see, I had a very bad experience with an un-named espresso equipment reseller that gave me buyers remorse because of how they sold and then did not support what ended up being a broken espresso machine after only 14 months of use. So I am now going through not having a machine to work on at home and I figured trying the Mypressi was an obvious choice because it is less expensive (big deal and easier to walk away from when a supplier, reseller, or manufacturer does the wrong thing and fails to properly support their product), supports the fact that I just want shots for espresso, Con panna, or Americano anyhow and is portable for my camping trips.

I am just asking, and if you want to take this post private I am fine with that, but it sounds like this guy loves your product but has had a whole host of consistent issues. How is the quality of the product? How is the support? Do you stand by your product with quick fixes or do you actually produce a recourse when things legitimately break down because of defect? I ask because with honesty, the last thing this guy should have to do is glue stuff, or use vaseline to make a product work if in fact it is not working due to manufacturer defect to begin with. It is not like he wants to mod a grinder or espresso machine so it does something it is not designed to do by the original manufacturer. Shouldn't the Mypressi be able to just flat out produce quality shots when a charged CO2 cartridge is present?

I do not mean to be so in your face with the questions on a public forum or anything, but frankly, this post is revealing and worrisome for me.

With respect,
todd

subq

#5: Post by subq »

Perhaps there is some inconsistency in the product...I just posted about a brand new one that was acting up on me...basically, it just wouldn't push anything out or pressure was extremely low. I was able to pull one shot burning through about 4 or 5 cartridges.

I'm working with Prima to get it replaced (that is where I bought it from)...I will update the post once I receive a replacement.

You have to applaud mypressi for replying to this thread and trying to make it right.
LMWDP #357

nitpick

#6: Post by nitpick »

The sides have also fallen off (broken pins) my MyPressi (v2 -- bought January 2011). I'm getting ready to call them.

parkerto

#7: Post by parkerto »

please continue to update how they handle your problem, because I for one will be interested in hearing how the company is doing as I enter into my own Mypressi domain as a owner of this little gadget we all hope will just deliver tasty shots of espresso goodness without too much fuss.

opother

#8: Post by opother »

Never mind

Reezy (original poster)

#9: Post by Reezy (original poster) »

parkerto wrote:I would first like to applaud you, it appears to me that you are not trying to use this forum to trash a manufacturer; you have genuine issues that you simply want resolved; I am an interested observer that hopes Mypressi has resolved your issues correctly because my wife just ordered one for my birthday.

On another note, the video of the good shot is a very good shot with the bottomless filter functionality of the Mypressi-well done. What bean are you using there?
The Mypressi is a great unit which can produce excellent Espresso, comparable to machines costing thousands of dollars. For me, that benefit is great enough to deal with some minor problems. The world of excellent espresso from sub thousand dollar machines is a very small one, these guys are really your only option.

I use the unit way more than the average person. Most people might use it once everyday, or less, while today I have pulled 5 shots and its only 5PM, probably gonna have at least 1 more before the day is over (yeah I dont sleep). I think most of Mypressi's problems will be fixed in later revisions, I think they didnt do enough testing. For example, if they claim to have tested each unit for 2,000 cycles, what exactly does that mean? Does it mean they just ran 2,000 shots worth of gas through it while it was hooked up to a machine of some sort? Or did they have a robotic hand grabbing the handle, exerting pressure on the sides of the handle and squeezing the trigger 2,000 times? Doubtful. That's the problem, lack of mechanical testing.

I too feel that I shouldnt have to glue the handle sides on, or put vaseline on the o-ring, and I was kind of put off by the fact that their "handle replacement kit" was just some 5 minute epoxy from the hardware store, and that it broke again within a month of being re-glued.

*The vaseline worked at sealing the air leaks on the lid, but only for a few days. I had to re-apply it 2x already. So I've applied a thing coating of vaseline to my Water basket lid O-ring 3 times in 1 week. Pretty disappointing. Also they seem to want to only replace my handle and not the whole unit (water basket) and I fear that while the new handle may fix trigger issues, I will either need the water basket replaced (AGAIN, already had it replaced 2x) or I will have to live with applying vaseline every 10 shots (god, I hope not)

However, when it does work it is amazing! Combine that with the fact they Mypressi has replaced my unit 2 times already and are working with me to replace it a 3rd time, and I cant really complain.

I can only hope that they stay in business long enough, to utilize the flaws we have discovered and refine the design to a be a better product.

The customer service seems very good, and they almost always responded fairly quickly to my problems. The reason I made this post was because I had emailed them 2x and got no response over 2 weeks which was very weird. However when I made this post, I was contacted the same day saying that my email had went to their spam filter somehow (kind of weird?) Do they check this forum more than they check their inbox?

As for the bean, it was super fresh StreetLevel Espresso blend from http://www.vervecoffeeroasters.com/ down the street from my house.

W/ Mypressi I can wake up, and be drinking freshly ground and pulled Espresso in 3 minutes. Blam! So, with that magical greatness comes a grain of salt which hopefully will dissolve in the near future.

However I can say for a fact that if they hadnt replaced my unit when needed or been so helpful that they would probably be out of business (I wouldn't promote them that's for sure) because I imagine their sales are not that large and home espresso is a pretty niche market to begin with.

Im currently waiting for a new batch of handles to come in from the manufacturer so I can replace mine.

Is there a way I can subscribe to this topic to be notified of replies so I can keep up with it?

HB
Admin

#10: Post by HB »

Reezy wrote:Is there a way I can subscribe to this topic to be notified of replies so I can keep up with it?
Click on "Subscribe topic" (Image) at the bottom of the page.
Dan Kehn