Mypressi Twist - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
PeterG

#11: Post by PeterG »

I agree with Alan and, for the life of me now, I can't figure out why folks haven't been using gas pressure to brew espresso all along.

I had a discussion with the Espressi guy about what a "pro" model would look like; full sized basket, active temperature maintenance in the water chamber, run from a large gas tank or compressed air source. As a coffee businessperson, my mind jumps to the commercial potential of such a device: tableside espresso? removing the "giant machine barrier" between the barista and consumer? the mind reels.

Peter G
counter culture coffee

mivanitsky
Supporter ❤

#12: Post by mivanitsky »

This looks like a potentially good product, and certainly the first ultracompact hand espresso device that seems to have the potential to produce true, and even good espresso.

I hope that they will have removable/replacable PF spouts.

Let me be the first to suggest here that the device will be even more portable with a bottomless portafilter!

I was thinking about getting a lever machine for my other office and camping, but this just may do.

-Mike

espressme

#13: Post by espressme »

This is an interesting and probably great product. The inventor of the TWIST has resolved a LOT of problems that are not readily apparent like going from 820PSI down to 135. Think of the ~700Lb. pressure on the plastic locking lugs of the dome. Yes, he has done a lot of homework! Just getting through the design iterations and testing had to have been a long and expensive process.
I hope the product makes it in the market place
-Richard!
PS. Cartridges at:
Nitrous oxide
CO2
richard penney LMWDP #090,

Bushrod

#14: Post by Bushrod »

Hook one up to a computer controlled air pump for pressure profiling...
Rich A

LMWDP #131

IMAWriter
Supporter

#15: Post by IMAWriter »

mivanitsky wrote:This looks like a potentially good product, and certainly the first ultracompact hand espresso device that seems to have the potential to produce true, and even good espresso.

I hope that they will have removable/replacable PF spouts.

Let me be the first to suggest here that the device will be even more portable with a bottomless portafilter!

I was thinking about getting a lever machine for my other office and camping, but this just may do.

-Mike
I'd be afraid of a bottomless, if only for the exposed skin whilst using the "Twist."
As a non engineer, I'd feel safer with the spout(s) as a "pressure relief."
Personally, I like the way things ARE, if only for the pleasure I get just taking a little time away from work fro the "process."
As a traveling device, Yessir! As a replacement for my Cremina/whatever machine, not for me.
This would apply, even if it made the best espresso on earth. Well.... :lol:
However, Hats way off to the gentleman for this way cool way of bringing excellent espresso to those without the space/bucks etc to have a full blown setup.
You'd hope the grinder first mantra would still hold. I can only imagine this thing without the benefit of a good grind. Was it not a Mazzer of some sort in his booth. I wish I could have tasted some 'spro from the Twist.
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com

IMAWriter
Supporter

#16: Post by IMAWriter »

Final thing...
Interesting that the best new product was not the Twist, but a device that apparently analyzes bean color post roast. Sort of like closing the barn door, AFTER the horse has escaped.
(I know I'm about to get excoriated by someone for the above pronouncement.)

Dan, if I have crossed over to the dark side, please remove this post.
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com

Address7

#17: Post by Address7 »

Very Cool - Scott, thanks for posting, most interesting thing I have seen all day. The grinder problem is vexing, but someone here will figure out an alternative. Funny thing, I am planning a vacation in June, and just the other day it crossed my mind that I was going to be drinking hotel coffee for over a week...maybe not?

One thought - can't board a plane with CO2 (not bothering with subscript) cartridges, so you will have to find them as you go. Not too hard, but adds a touch of inconvenience.

Maybe someone should make contact about a pre-order group buy. Any volunteers?

mypressi

#18: Post by mypressi »

Hey all, thank you for your very kind comments about the TWIST.

I've put a few photos online here and will post more and videos as soon as I get the chance.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mypressi/Po ... directlink

Meanwhile, happy to answer any questions you have.

Couple of things: the spouts are removable. It makes for an awesome naked shot. Also the production versions have better temp control in the dome. The problems regarding pressure during development were substantial. I can't go into details, but the TWIST uses a new type of regulator invented by our incredible engineering team. We actually also have one hooked up to a computer controlled pump right now going through a 5,000 cycle test with the results flowing into a data acquisition system.

The pressure is a very precise 135 psi at the start but it can actually go up during the shot, depending on a number of factors. (This may be a new one for espresso machines. It does mean there are fewer wasted shots from an over-tamped basket or too fine a grind, if you don't mind an over-extraction.)

But really, the cool thing about the TWIST is that it delivers whatever you put into it. We were testing a fantastic Barefoot roast yesterday and it was awesome. One great shot after another.

Anyway, if you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

BTW: I'll be in Manhattan at Cafe Grumpy this coming Tuesday (224 W 20th) at 2.30pm. If you want to see the TWIST in action, please stop by.

--Stephen

sweaner (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by sweaner (original poster) »

Stephen, when do you anticipate it being available?
Scott
LMWDP #248

edwa

#20: Post by edwa »

Hmmmm. I've gotta ask, "How many shots do you get out of a CO2 cartridge at $11 a pop (no pun intended)? And then what do you do with all the cartridges that you amass during a 3 week trip to a remote destination? Do they become landfill and another part of the problem or are they recyclable?