My Take on the Decent DE1+ - Page 5

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
JayBeck

#41: Post by JayBeck »

pcrussell50 wrote:This begs a question of why someone would be willing to take the loss and sell his DE1+
1) So soon after they were finally available
2) When by all accounts, the positives far outweigh the negatives

Fear of support in the future? That's what all first adopters face, nothing new about that notion, and AFAICT Jon has not showed any signs of a lack of commitment.

-Peter
Could be the updated v1.3 model that is coming out early next year so they wanted to wait for it. It will have an upgraded group design for a dryer puck; grouphead buttons; and a 1500w heater instead of 1350w.

Iowa_Boy

#42: Post by Iowa_Boy »

The drier puck will be version 1.1 correct? Seems like a lot of nice small improvements with v1.1

Advertisement
Prescott CR

#43: Post by Prescott CR »

pcrussell50 wrote:This begs a question of why someone would be willing to take the loss and sell his DE1+

Fear of support in the future? That's what all first adopters face, nothing new about that notion, and AFAICT Jon has not showed any signs of a lack of commitment.

-Peter
That's a legit question IMO.

I don't want to speak for Matt, but I will tell you what he told me- he bought this for work and decided to get a Londinium R for work as he has a Londinium 1 at home.

If there's more to that answer hopefully he'll chime in.
-Richard

tegwj

#44: Post by tegwj replying to Prescott CR »

Speaking only for myself, I had an L1 and ultimately sold it because I struggled with inconsistent extraction volumes despite installing all the recommended updated seals, carefully lubing the piston as described, and doing what I was able to regarding my own technique to try and achieve some kind of steady state. Results remained inconsistent and while plenty of L1 owners are thrilled with their rig, it obviously wasn't working for me.

Different strokes I guess. Went to an E61 dual boiler machine from which I got consistently more likable results, then stumbled upon an offer from DE I couldn't refuse and grabbed a DE1+. Sold the E61 and am having much more fun now adjusting technique based on far more granular feedback.

Whether that means the DE1+ is able to mask more of my amateur barista skills than the other machines, or whether instead it's made me a better barista, I can't say, but I love the data and learn more with that feedback in hand.

MB

#45: Post by MB »

Prescott CR wrote:That's a legit question IMO.

I don't want to speak for Matt, but I will tell you what he told me- he bought this for work and decided to get a Londinium R for work as he has a Londinium 1 at home.

If there's more to that answer hopefully he'll chime in.
I sold the DE1+ to Richard. It is a wonderful machine with amazing control over everything. Unfortunately, when I started using it at work, I found that I had no time to utilize all of the cool controls. This was frustrating since I had been imagining for so long about exploring and playing with all of the features. Also, I had imagined sharing use of it with a few coworkers, but there was some reluctance. In practice those two things that had attracted me weren't happening.

I have a Londinium 1 (original) at home and love it. It occurred to me that the simplicity of a spring lever like the L1 might make for a good match with my work situation, so I stretched and got the Londinium R. It was also helpful to know that someone else was going to get a lot more enjoyment out of the DE1+'s intended use (a win-win).
LMWDP #472

caeffe

#46: Post by caeffe »

MB wrote:.... snipped
I have a Londinium 1 (original) at home and love it. It occurred to me that the simplicity of a spring lever like the L1 might make for a good match with my work situation, so I stretched and got the Londinium R. It was also helpful to know that someone else was going to get a lot more enjoyment out of the DE1+'s intended use (a win-win).
Matt-
A bit OT since my question is re: Londinium
What differences are there between the L1 and LR? I'm seriously considering either one depending on cost/availability. Obviously I can't buy a new L1 anymore (I'm guessing have the original L1 not the L1-P) and if I do buy new it'll be an LR, or possibly the long awaited LC. I'll probably post a new topic re prosumer Levers but thought I'd ask on this thread for your thoughts
Caesar
LMWDP #162

MB

#47: Post by MB replying to caeffe »

LMWDP #472

Advertisement
roastini

#48: Post by roastini »

I think it's a great machine, but by no means right for everyone.

Headala (original poster)

#49: Post by Headala (original poster) »

Thursday night, wachuko and I had a great time geeking out with the DE1+ and assorted grinders.

I've sold my Alex Duetto and now the DE1+ is my daily driver.

r7

#50: Post by r7 »

Headala wrote:Thursday night, wachuko and I had a great time geeking out with the DE1+ and assorted grinders.

I love it, "Bookend Conicals!"