My story with Elektra and Microcasa Semiautomatica SXC

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Skyrogue

#1: Post by Skyrogue »

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to share my story with my Elektra Microcasa Semiautomatica SXC and Elektra SRL customer service.
My machine produced the same problem as this unfortunate user's machine a while ago:
Rust all under the driptray of my Elektra Semiautomatica

In my case, after only 3 years of operation the brew button stopped working. We tried to see what went wrong and decided to open the base of the machine. To our big surprise, the base was leaking and there was a lot of water underneath the base. The bigger surprise was when we opened the base: it was wet all over and completely rusted. Here some pics:

I turned to Elektra customer service claiming that this must be a manufacturing defect.
I got a refusal saying that we most probably misused the machine. Misusing a machine? How can I misuse it in a way that water gets into the base???? It is ridiculous. The rusting process is so advanced that it is impossible that it started a few months or a even year ago. It is a development of years which suggests that it started the very beginning.
Elektra SRL refused my claim and did not answer my questions about "misusing the machine". They simply stopped communicating with me.
They just disappeared. Anyone had a similar experience?
In any case, I will never buy an Elektra machine again.

kind regards, Peter

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Skyrogue wrote:How can I misuse it in a way that water gets into the base?
Overflowing the drip tray, as unfortunately there is a screw underneath it. I owned one for years and agree that's a dumb design (La Pavoni Europiccolas have it too). I sold it to a friend and he loves it. I've offered to buy it back several times. The design is quirky, but it's a joy to use.
Dan Kehn

Skyrogue (original poster)

#3: Post by Skyrogue (original poster) »

I get your point. In my case, I never let it overflow. We can rule out this option. Thanks anyway :D

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

The moisture came from somewhere. Boiler gasket leak? Pump leak? In any case, it's a very easy machine to repair, though the parts can be pricey, so shop around.

PS: For future reference, please don't cross-post to this site (your post on CoffeeGeek). Why is cross-posting strongly discouraged? provides the rationale for this policy. Moderators reserve the right to delete cross-posts.
Dan Kehn

Skyrogue (original poster)

#5: Post by Skyrogue (original poster) »

Hi Dan, I am sorry, I did not read the cross-posting warnings. You are right.
Coming to the machine, whatever leaks in the base unit, it completely destroyed the machine. It made it useless. Most parts and the circuitry is rusted.
Just after 3 years, it is dead. A 1.700€ waste.

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

I don't know how new members manage to not see this reminder:

It's shown for the first 10 posts. :lol:

Back to your problem, it looks like surface rust to me. There's not a lot of circuitry involved with the Semiautomatica in the base. Pump, three switches, one solenoid, etc? If it were me, I'd definitely repair it. But I read that Mark Prince has reached out to Elektra on your behalf, so maybe they'll come back with a solution you prefer.
Dan Kehn

dino

#7: Post by dino »

A question - was the machine serviced every 12 months with seals, gaskets & / or o-rings replaced ?

truemagellen

#8: Post by truemagellen replying to dino »

That is honestly not necessary, maybe the grouphead portafilter seal. On the other hand the machine that has given my neighbor who has a few different machines the most trouble is his Elektra. The joystick wand seals failed on him every year and he had perfect water and light use. He finally gave up on the machine.

Elektras are beautiful machines but mechanically I've seen lots of problems with them over the years and it is unfortunate.

As for that base I echo what was posted before, that rust is MINOR. Just remove those components, mechanically remove the rust then use a product that removes and seals without damaging the finish (ie. Evapo-Rust which is an enzyme that only attacks rust and not other components and is quiet amazing product). Then I would apply a coat of enamel paint.

Of course figure out the source of the leak. As for it being you causing it I highly doubt it but those machines are so tightly packed up down there perhaps a cable pulled and put pressure on another component. I honestly believe you can fully restore this machine and make it even better than delivered from factory.

If not feel free to ship it to me, I'll pay for shipping :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

HB
Admin

#9: Post by HB »

This cross-posted conversation is continuing on CoffeeGeek, so I'll close this one. If the OP wants to post an epilogue, however it ends, feel free to contact me offline and I'll open it again.
Dan Kehn