My solution to E61 group drain spraying out of pan

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
beanman

#1: Post by beanman »

I enjoy my ECM Synchronika, but don't like how at the end of the shot, water shooting out the E61 drain splashes off the drip tray pan and back up onto the machine, my mirror, etc. That polished stainless doesn't look nice with dirty water on it. :(

Dollar Stores sell a kitchen cabinet liner that is thin and an open weave. And its available in black, grey, cream, and I think white.
Picked up a roll of black yesterday for $1.25, and cut a piece to fit the tray, and cut out a hole for the E61 drain.
Works great! And doesn't look too bad either since the ECM has black handles.
Here's a couple pics.

Shantastic
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Shantastic »

That's pretty slick. I might try myself :D

JRising
Team HB

#3: Post by JRising »

It looks like you left it long enough that it tucks under the lip at the back and folds down the front of the drip-tray. I think that's a brilliant solution to the drain-spray problem.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Nunas »

Another solution, posted here some years ago, was to put a short piece of hose over the e61 drain spout and lead it down through the hole in the drain pan grid. Frankly, though, I don't find the spray to be excessive on my Synchronika and just give the bottom of the panel a wipe with a soft rag once in a while. Perhaps it's because my drain pan is plumbed to the sink drain, so there's never any standing water in it.

Capuchin Monk

#5: Post by Capuchin Monk »

This gap between pressure release opening and drip tray top has been in existence for... ever, since the beginning of E61 design. There must be a good reason to leave that much gap there but I can't think of any. There are some E61 machines with a cover on that area or extended pipe just below the drip tray top which basically eliminates splash. Why not all E61 machines do the same is a mystery. :?

CSME9

#6: Post by CSME9 »

That's the black mesh I've used for a few years, keeps the drip tray cleaner and scratch free.

PartySausage

#7: Post by PartySausage »

My Synchronika Solution was to use a concertina of 3 different sized stainless steel drinking straws with a little heat shrink between them to make them a snug fit. The smallest was an interface fit to the E61 drain

★ Helpful

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Nunas »

PartySausage wrote:My Synchronika Solution was to use a concertina of 3 different sized stainless steel drinking straws with a little heat shrink between them to make them a snug fit. The smallest was an interface fit to the E61 drain
Way cool, and much prettier than using plastic tubing :idea:

beanman (original poster)

#9: Post by beanman (original poster) »

PartySausage wrote:My Synchronika Solution was to use a concertina of 3 different sized stainless steel drinking straws with a little heat shrink between them to make them a snug fit. The smallest was an interface fit to the E61 drain

Agree, great solution! Looks factory-made.

beanman (original poster)

#10: Post by beanman (original poster) »

JRising wrote:It looks like you left it long enough that it tucks under the lip at the back and folds down the front of the drip-tray. I think that's a brilliant solution to the drain-spray problem.
Yes, it tucks under the back lip, but the front edge just lays at the seam of the tray grid and the pan. Thanks for kind words.
Nunas wrote:Another solution, posted here some years ago, was to put a short piece of hose over the e61 drain spout and lead it down through the hole in the drain pan grid. Frankly, though, I don't find the spray to be excessive on my Synchronika and just give the bottom of the panel a wipe with a soft rag once in a while. Perhaps it's because my drain pan is plumbed to the sink drain, so there's never any standing water in it.
I was thinking about a hose, but when I saw the cabinet liner, I decided to give it a shot. Mine sprays the most with about 1/4" of water in the pan -- must be the right combination of E61 drain surge and the water level in the pan.