My Slayer single group

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
ng

#1: Post by ng »

After eyeing a Slayer single groups for the past five years, I finally bit the bullet when I found a great deal locally on a new to me SN #1427. I'm glad that I've had the opportunity to try various machines, but I'm even more excited that I've got my end game machine!

I started with a Rancilio Silvia and recently added a PID (which I still have). Moved on to an ECM Giotto, did a few mods to it: updated steam wand, a thermometer probe, float valve fill auto-fill, and some insulation. The ECM treated me well for a long, long time. I think I went through three pumps during my ownership.

Below are some photos and notes on my experience, thus far.

The day I picked it up! Sadly, I wouldn't be able to use the machine until some additional parts came in. I think it was almost two weeks :shock:

NEMA 14-50P to 140-50R splitter. I am sharing a 220 plug with oven.
Not pictured: NEMA 6-15R adapter for the actual SSG plug

Kegerator drip tray, because I can't hook up a drain line and I don't want a bucket sitting in my living room.

Drip tray fits perfectly and I empty it a few times a week.

Noticed my LCD had some fading characters so I took the machine apart to see if it was a simple LCD replacement. Turns out it is not.

3/8 iron pipe to 3/8 compression adapter

And a whole bunch of other fittings to work with my 1/4 tubing :lol:

Redesigned my RO system for 3/8 output.
You can see here the existing 1/4 that feeds the final post-carbon and remineralization stage.
I replaced this with a 3/8th tee that is fed from the water tank, but I retain the 1/4 output from the RO stage since this is low volume anyways.

Comparison of the 3/8 and 1/4 tank valves. Did you know...there's a difference between NPT vs NVS NPTF? I do now :lol:

3/8 tubing hooked up on the left, 1/4 on right

Cleaned up the existing tubing. Now I've got 3/8 output!

All this work...for a latte....the most expensive latte I've ever drank!

I've been having fun with this machine but I am still adjusting to it. I have a Mazzer Super Jolly which I used to be able to guess my adjustments for the following day. The Slayer prebrew is throwing me off, but, everything tastes great.

I've noticed some calcification around some of the fittings when I had the panels off so I think I'll go through the machine and replace any orings to bring it back to a known state. I know I need to replace the group head gasket since it leaks a little water. I also will need to replace the LCD at some point. Does anybody know if Slayer offers firmware updates? Or does that require a new PCB? And finally, my shower screen has noticeable vertical movement. Is this normal? The screw is snugged down.

Things that I don't like:
- no option to completely turn off steam/brew boilers, even though a schedule exists
- no option to adjust power save steam/brew boiler temps
- touch screen is horrible
- no physical power switch

fliz

#2: Post by fliz »

Congratulations on an absolutely gorgeous machine. Your determination to make it work is an inspiration.

Atbat82

#3: Post by Atbat82 »

Gorgeous machine! While I would love to play around with a Slayer and try a slayer shot, seeing everything you did to make it work, reinforces that I don't ever really want to own one. Perfectly happy with my reservoir machine!

That said, have fun with it! You're now at the pinnacle!

CarefreeBuzzBuzz
Supporter

#4: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Touch screen is touchy but I think you will get used to it. Using the touch screen you can turn off the boilers. From the manual:
4. Press the round touch sensor to enter the "Advanced Setting" sub-menu.
5. Swipe from left to right until the "Heater Control" setting comes into view.
Call and ask for Nate in tech support and you can go over parts with him. Try to get all you need at once as S&H is added to each order. They had a parts price increase in the last year. Congratulations.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

ng

#5: Post by ng »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:Touch screen is touchy but I think you will get used to it. Using the touch screen you can turn off the boilers. From the manual:

Call and ask for Nate in tech support and you can go over parts with him. Try to get all you need at once as S&H is added to each order. They had a parts price increase in the last year. Congratulations.
Yeah, I got used to it, but it's still not a good experience.

Re: the boilers, yeah, I know I can access them from the menu but ideally I'd like the machine to shut off between the programmed schedule.

Thanks for the contact info, I will reach out to him!

ng

#6: Post by ng »

Atbat82 wrote:Gorgeous machine! While I would love to play around with a Slayer and try a slayer shot, seeing everything you did to make it work, reinforces that I don't ever really want to own one. Perfectly happy with my reservoir machine!

That said, have fun with it! You're now at the pinnacle!
To be fair, it wasn't that much work!

wachuko

#7: Post by wachuko »

Beautiful machine. Thank you for taking us along this journey!!
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

ng

#8: Post by ng »

Preventative maintenance!
I reached out to Clive Coffee and Chris' Coffee to pick up a maintenance kit. Turns out neither of them no longer sells Slayer. I'm not going to lie, after reading about the lack of support from Slayer I was a little nervous reaching out to them directly. Happy to report they have been very responsive.

I wanted to get the machine into a known state so Slayer support suggested the 12-month maintenance kit. It looks like the 12-month kit is $306.69 + $18 shipping. I mentioned that my LCD was starting to dim in a few spots. That'll be an additional $640 to replace the display assembly when the LCD finally dies, or the touch screen stops working. I'm probably going to take apart the assembly and see if I can pull a generic part number and do the repair myself, if possible.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz
Supporter

#9: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Sounds about right on the maintenance. I don't know who told you that slayer is not responsive but they are actually quite excellent. They have online videos for owners only of repairs. I believe they have been top knotch.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

JackHK

#10: Post by JackHK »

Congratulations with the new baby :mrgreen:

Can you help tell me how much flow in 30 sek, when your paddle is in max position to the left ?

I have e61 dual boiler there give 225 ml in 30 sek, another e61 dual boiler give 425 ml in 30 sek and old Oscar give 404 ml in 30 sek