My new La Marzocco GS3 AV

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
ShmulikTal

#1: Post by ShmulikTal »

Received it a week ago, and so far it is fantastic!
The workflow and the taste of the coffee is exceptional. It is the first time that I"m enjoying drinking espresso.

smite

#2: Post by smite »

Very nice setup. I have the MP version and love it also. Same setup with walnut and black.

Pipeandslippers

#3: Post by Pipeandslippers »

Cool kitchen set-up!

tinman143

#4: Post by tinman143 »

Congrats! Loving the black and walnut motif.

You're finally enjoying espresso?? Can you elaborate more here. Were you unable with the E61 machine?

ShmulikTal (original poster)

#5: Post by ShmulikTal (original poster) »

I was unable to enjoy espresso with my previous E61 machine. The cappuccinos where very good, but the espresso was too strong for me.
With the GS3, the taste of espresso is totally different. When brewed correctly the espresso from the GS3 taste great, and I can finally enjoy espresso with no sugar added. I had tried several different coffees, dark and light roasts, and all came out great once dialed in.

It's hard to explain the differences, but the E61 espresso had too much bitter or sour notes, like trying to listen to music in a noisy environment.
The GS3 produces clear tastes, and you can easily tell the difference of very little changes in grind settings.
Attached is a picture of an extraction from today - ETHIOPIAN YIRGACHEFFE

pcdawson

#6: Post by pcdawson »

[quote="ShmulikTal"]Received it a week ago, and so far it is fantastic!
The workflow and the taste of the coffee is exceptional. It is the first time that I"m enjoying drinking espresso.

Where did you get that fantastic knock box drawer that I can see under your Ceado E37S?

drH

#7: Post by drH »

Would there be any difference in the cup between the GS3 AV and the Linea Mini? Surely the GS3 has added features like the volumetrics but as far as the prebrew, temperature stability and rotary pump, one should expect the same taste quality right?

#8: Post by ShmulikTal (original poster) »

pcdawson wrote:
The knock box is from AliExpress https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3295439 ... 4c4dwKMpya

#9: Post by ShmulikTal (original poster) »

drH wrote:Would there be any difference in the cup between the GS3 AV and the Linea Mini? Surely the GS3 has added features like the volumetrics but as far as the prebrew, temperature stability and rotary pump, one should expect the same taste quality right?
The GS3 has a saturated group head and it is built differently than the Linea mini.

Good question. My friend own a Linea mini and a compac K10 grinder. He visited me and brought is own coffee and we also tested my coffee.
So far, the result on my setup where better.We have tried light roast and dark roasts, and the results where consistently in favor of the GS3/Ceado setup.
I don't know if the results are better due to the machine, grinder or the combination of both.
He will bring his grinder to my home next week, and we will check the GS3 with both grinders, maybe it will be enough to draw a conclusion.

drH

#10: Post by drH »

ShmulikTal wrote:The GS3 has a saturated group head and it is built differently than the Linea mini.

Good question. My friend own a Linea mini and a compac K10 grinder. He visited me and brought is own coffee and we also tested my coffee.
So far, the result on my setup where better.We have tried light roast and dark roasts, and the results where consistently in favor of the GS3/Ceado setup.
I don't know if the results are better due to the machine, grinder or the combination of both.
He will bring his grinder to my home next week, and we will check the GS3 with both grinder, maybe it will be enough to draw a conclusion.

I'll be interested to hear what you think after the new test. It is possible that the difference is partly the grinder because the Compak is conical and the Ceado is flat burr. Maybe also that the GS3 is slightly more temperature stable?? Or that the volumetrics deliver that little bit of a extra consistency? Very interesting.