My method for dialing in espresso

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
nickthorpie

#1: Post by nickthorpie »

So over the last year+, I've used HB to guide me along the beginning of my espresso journey. As with anything, there are 50 different people that tell you to pull a shot of coffee 50 different ways. I thought I'd contribute my method of dialing in my shots that I think pulls everything together. Let me know your opinion on this is :)

Basically the premise of this method is based on two constants:
1. The shot is to come out at 1Ml/Second - Basically I stop the shot whenever the time and weight match. (e.g. when I hit 25 sec and 25g, I'll stop it right there)

2. The grinder doesn't get adjusted - What I mean by this is that I find that grinders have a special sweet spot. Irregardless of if it pours fast or slow, it rarely channels, and still tastes great when you find this sweet spot.

Well how do I dial it in without moving the grinder?: Well, all that's left to adjust is the dry dose. I just keep adjusting it until the brew ratio is 1:2, keeping in mind rule #1

For example: My Gedeb Natural I currently pull 17.5g in : 35g out : 35sec
My Colombian Caturra I pull 20g in : 40g out : 40sec

This method scales for higher and lower doses appropriately, and allows you to use different coffees on the same grinder! I like that finding the sweet spot encourages dialing in based on taste instead of numbers. Hope you find this interesting :)

jpatrickramos

#2: Post by jpatrickramos »

One of the great things is that there are so many tasty ways to brew a delicious shot of espresso!

I'm glad that you've found a system that works for you!
Enjoy it!!!

BuckleyT

#3: Post by BuckleyT »

..and you can always pull the shot a little hotter or cooler if additional compensation is needed, without touching the mechanics of the grind or the puck.

B

nickthorpie (original poster)

#4: Post by nickthorpie (original poster) replying to BuckleyT »

does that affect the shot time or just flavour?

jpatrickramos

#5: Post by jpatrickramos replying to nickthorpie »

Flavour.

BuckleyT

#6: Post by BuckleyT replying to jpatrickramos »

Yeah. What he said.

liquidmetal

#7: Post by liquidmetal »

I'm going to disagree and say that I believe higher/lower temperature will give you more/less yield, so it would effect time. Should be a simple experiment tho

radu

#8: Post by radu »

From what I saw, it does affect shot time. Higher temperatures yield slower shots.
LMWDP #616