Muddled (grey/white) water from hot water dispenser

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
TeKopp

#1: Post by TeKopp »

So, a while back I sent in my VBM domobar super HX to the workshop. They switched the OPV, one or two lights and fixed the hot water wand which had stopped working at an unknown time. I basically never used the hot water wand and I guess a gasket (?) had become stuck or something.

In any case, water is now able to flow out of the wand. The water is however discolored and seems to have a kind of shimmering, oil like effect on the surface. The water from the steam wand and grouphead is all clean, so it's just the hot water wand. I've searched far and wide and can't seem to find anyone with a similar problem.

Does anyone have any experience with this or any thoughts on why it's like this and how to fix it?

Here is a (terrible) picture, with the right one being water poured from the spout, and the left one being tap water

/J

Headala

#2: Post by Headala »

So when you steam, you are pulling out distilled water out of the steam boiler. This leaves behind anything that was in the water, in your boiler. Over time it builds up, especially if you never empty the water out of the steam boiler. If you empty it out several times, it will be fine and start to come out clear. Not sure about the oil, but could be some sort of lubricant or manufacturing oils on the seals when the arm was replaced. I've read varying opinions, but it's a good idea to empty out at least some of the water from your steam boiler on a regular basis.

TeKopp (original poster)

#3: Post by TeKopp (original poster) »

It seems to get better as i cycle more water through the hot water spout, I assume you are correct.