A morning with the Decent Espresso machines - Page 12

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Marcner

#111: Post by Marcner »

I saw the Decent Espresso machine demo at St Frank Coffee in San Francisco. I was duly impressed. The machine worked consistently. The software was ingenious and seemed surprisingly mature. There seemed to be little that wasn't thought of. John seems careful not to over promise or resort to hyperbole, but I couldn't help thinking that I was looking at the future of espresso. Most important I ,and I am sure most of the others present, were impressed with the quality of the shots that were poured especially with beans he didn't know and a grinder that he hadn't personally dialed in.

seacliff dweller

#112: Post by seacliff dweller »

ira wrote:Won't pass UL as a stand alone hobbyist plaything, should easily pass UL if embedded in an espresso machine.

Ira
But the other question is "what is the cost?"

Advertisement
pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#113: Post by pizzaman383 »

I think Decent Espresso covered the topic of how they manage the vibratory pump here:
Decent Espresso Machine - PREORDERING NOW
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

opendoor

#114: Post by opendoor »

seacliff dweller wrote:But the other question is "what is the cost?"
Please drop it. You are disturbing the entire thread.

seacliff dweller

#115: Post by seacliff dweller replying to opendoor »

Not sure "how" am I disturbing the entire thread.
Should my comment be "wow, great machine" when what I witness was not?

jmc

#116: Post by jmc »

How in the world can you make a judgement of a machine when you don't have the courtesy to allow the time for a barista to set it up?
Jon was in a new location with both beans and a grinder he had never used. I know very good barista's who will take 20 mins+ tho get their grind right every morning with beans and grinders they use every day.
When you are the only one to see something, maybe you should question YOURSELF rather than bother every else.
John

chrisbodnarphoto

#117: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

seacliff dweller wrote:Not sure "how" am I disturbing the entire thread.
Should my comment be "wow, great machine" when what I witness was not?
I think your points and experience have been made, and -to your own admittance - you left the demo before it had even really started.

I believe that all experiences and hands-on are welcome - both positive and negative - but it's one thing to voice your experience and another to beat a dead horse.

You also happen to seemingly be the only one out of the group of hands-on testers/viewers that has had an issue with what some others would consider a non-issue in typical setup and dialing in. I would argue it's a very strong and short-sighted opinion to say that the machine isn't ready for public consumption when SO many people have had positive hands-on experience with it, minor issues or not.

Advertisement
seacliff dweller

#118: Post by seacliff dweller »

chrisbodnarphoto wrote:I think your points and experience have been made, and -to your own admittance - you left the demo before it had even really started.
LOL, after 4 or 5 tries with no success is leaving the demo before it has even really started?
Should I wait for 10 tries first?
Can you read my response to John and his response to me (on marketplace) about the question I raised: Why flow rate is higher at 1 bar versus 2 bars?

seacliff dweller

#119: Post by seacliff dweller »

jmc wrote:How in the world can you make a judgement of a machine when you don't have the courtesy to allow the time for a barista to set it up?
Jon was in a new location with both beans and a grinder he had never used. I know very good barista's who will take 20 mins+ tho get their grind right every morning with beans and grinders they use every day.
When you are the only one to see something, maybe you should question YOURSELF rather than bother every else.
But John should know the machine by now after many many demos before the one I went to.
Also, If I were John, I would have done at least several test runs first. No? So 4 or 5 tries with no success is acceptable?
We are not even talking about getting it right, we are talking about machine choking with no flow, period.

HB
Admin

#120: Post by HB »

I haven't read through all the comments in this thread, but I recognize the onset of lastworditus. From Guidelines for productive online discussion:
Encourage positive, shared discourse. Be mindful of participant reactions and consider the tone of your replies; ideally they should encourage positive discourse. Conversely, don't be disruptive by dominating the conversation. Dogmatic or repetitive replies are rarely welcome.
To be clear, disagreements are perfectly fine; it's only a problem when the discussion veers into personal or repetitive commentary. Since this thread has been on cooldown at least once before, I'm going to lock it for a few days in the hope that lastworditus subsides.
Dan Kehn