Mod for Protecting Scales from E61 Water Release

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Bikeminded

#1: Post by Bikeminded »

It's been raining/cold and couldn't get out on the bike so screwed around yesterday morning with some scale water protection ideas. I've had 2-3 cheap Amazon scales stop working on me and finally bought a waterproof Lunar (which is a very fine instrument BTW!). While it's waterproof, the USB charging port is on the backside, right in line with with E61 exhaust port. It really gets wet with each shot from the 'backsplash' coming out of the driptray caused by the force of the exhausted liquid at the end of a shot. Hard to think after a year or so of multi-shots a day there won't be corrosion issues there.

So played with a few iterations. Started with just a pc of PVC pipe on the drip tray extending down into it. Then added a 'baffle' down inside the drip tray and zip tied to the grid. This was a good improvement and barely noticable. Then replaced the PVC with a short pc of Al tube that just sits in the drip hole of the drip tray and extends almost up to the E61 exhaust port. This really works good. The scale stays completely dry now.

For those of you with E61's and using scale, maybe you'll find this of value to save or extend the life of your scale.

Below is just a progression of images of what I described above.

Desmo490

#2: Post by Desmo490 »

Nice!

I usually place the scale on top of the plastic tray that came with it, but sometimes I forget and get a soaked scale. Not sure what diameter pipe might fit in my drip tray, but 1/2" might work.