The Meticulous Home Espresso Machine (Kickstarter) - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
BeachBoy

#11: Post by BeachBoy »

Jeff wrote:As a heads-up, there are several patents that may come into play around both the apparent method of making espresso and the incorporation of a scale with an espresso machine. I'd look into those claims before investing.
Interesting point.

Hopefully they can check and clear this before March 15 opening of Kickstarter.

This would be nice next step after my pavoni (would require steam/frother though)

Shakespeare
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by Shakespeare »

Jeff wrote:As a heads-up, there are several patents that may come into play around both the apparent method of making espresso and the incorporation of a scale with an espresso machine. I'd look into those claims before investing.

Edit: I'm not intending to be a nay-sayer or a DE die-hard here. I hope that the machine is non-infringing so that there is some meaningful competition in the flow-profiling space.
'

I not an expert on patent law or espresso machines that have automated their espresso delivery system with a scale.
There are a couple of coffee brew devices that have included a auto weighting controls to assist the delivery of a precise amount of coffee at a corrected strength. These controls can be calibrated to provide an exact brew using the incorporation of a scale

Working in the food industry I have come across devices too numerous to count that in their solution are using an auto weighing system to produce food products in industry and for the home.
Are there still patients using auto weighing that still haven't expired.??

heytchap

#13: Post by heytchap »

They mentioned that they patented their aspect though.

iploya

#14: Post by iploya »

U.S. patents? Can you provide the patent numbers?

Jeff
Team HB

#15: Post by Jeff »

Both La Marzocco and Nuova Simonelli (VA) have patents on use of scales with espresso machines. LM also seems to have some associated with operation of pistons in espresso machines that I haven't read.

https://patents.justia.com/assignee/la-marzocco-s-r-l

https://patents.justia.com/assignee/nuo ... elli-s-p-a

From https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2012146641A1/en, it looks like LM is pursuing litigation.

I recall looking into piston-driven machines as a potential replacement for the DE1 pumps, but didn't take note of the patent holders.

Fausto

#16: Post by Fausto »

I'm blown away by this machine. Streitman and a Decent had a Meticulous baby. I hope there are no patent issues that prevent it from coming to market. If not I think I'll be an eager early adopter.

Was mentioned off hand that you cannot change temp mid shot fyi.

iploya

#17: Post by iploya »

The first 2 links are just search results of patents and pending applications where LM and Nuovo are listed as assignees.

The 3rd link is just a WIPO publication. This one is probably not too concerning. At least in the US, it's still just a pending application (US20140137746A1). As of 2022 all of the claims in the US application remain rejected. Even the pending claims appear to be extremely narrow as a result of amendments. It is possible one of these larger players has issued patents with better scope, but I am skeptical about the patentability of the broader concept of having a scale integrated with an espresso drip tray.

ethiopianbuffman

#18: Post by ethiopianbuffman »

This will look really nice to a black Xbloom...

heytchap

#19: Post by heytchap »

Maybe they just release it in Mexico and other countries and we buy it internationally. :)

Epicurus

#20: Post by Epicurus »

Carlos mentioned in a Discord channel that he and his lawyers are already working to avoid any patent infringement issues prior to releasing the final design.