Metallic particles/flakes in the water... - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Mark Well (original poster)

#21: Post by Mark Well (original poster) »

Do you think the flakes can accumulate in the "preinfusion chamber" down of the lever ? I didn't open this yet. I guess I just need to unscrew at the drain chamber down ? Do you think the preinfusion chamber can stay dirty even after some cafiza grouphead backflushings?

Damn, I never thought that buying this machine could make me do all this stuff. I am close to become an official Faema technician...I thought this machine could be "problem-free" because of the price paid but I realize it is worst than smaller stuff like the Silvia.

I will contact the woman to explain the problem and try to get a 300$ discount.

sweaner

#22: Post by sweaner »

Since this stuff will all be filtered out, why is this a real problem?
Scott
LMWDP #248

#23: Post by Mark Well (original poster) »

Since it is a "PREINFUSION", i guess some water goes there before arrive in the showerscreen and eventually finish in my cup. Not logic?

shadowfax

#24: Post by shadowfax replying to Mark Well »

It would be if you were simply drinking water drawn through the group. However, Scott's point is that coffee acts as a filter to catch those flakes. More than likely, all of them end up in your knockbox/trash can with the spent coffee, not in the cup.
Nicholas Lundgaard

#25: Post by Mark Well (original poster) »

I am actually looking to find the origins of the metal/brass/chrome particles that I always have in my machine, even with some cleaning of the E61 mushroom/chamber/preinfusion and showerscreen, descaling, etc.

The context : The worst flaking phenomenon is always when I let the machine on for 1 hour or more and the pressure accumulate inside. When I pull the first shot, it is always full of very thin particles of gold color (probably brass from somewhere inside the organs of the machine???) and some bigger particles of chrome. The second and third shots I pull after have less particles, but always a little. It seems it never ends!!!

I have sandpapered the mushroom and the chambers of the E61 group (up and down). I have descaled 2 times the machine with citric acid (unplugged the auto-fill sensor) and let descale for more than 4 hours. So now, I am trying to figure out where the damn flaking is coming from.

Can it be : The boiler? The HX tube ? Can it be some parts inside the E61 at the level of the cam or lever? Can it be the corrosion of the grouphead. It is made of brass, and when I bought the machine, it was a little corroded. I have sandpapered it a little to make it cleaner.

But anyway, after 2-3 years, can you expect to change all the E61 group as a normal maintaining? Id the flaking inevitable on this kind of machine, or it is caused by bad maintenance and accumulation of scale?

Please help me! Drinking metal particles makes me enjoy a bit less every coffees (even if some says the particles are filtered by the coffee puck). I prefer pull a shot with "particle-free" water...

...to retain context, new thread merged with original topic by moderator...

sweaner

#26: Post by sweaner »

How would these particles get into the cup? They would need to go through the coffee puck and the filter!
Scott
LMWDP #248

#27: Post by Mark Well (original poster) »

is this really secure enough to prevent you swallowing metal flakes?

if there is "chanelling" ? you would really feel safe with this?

#28: Post by Mark Well (original poster) »

Ozark_61

#29: Post by Ozark_61 »

Did you use a detergent backflush after descaling your machine????? Hmm???? :D That will start a nasty flaking session that will last quite a while until the guts have finished de-flaking. There should be a warning label somewhere... But, don't worry - it will stop sometime. Mine flaked for a while after I backflushed following a descaling - but it's since stopped, but not sure how long it took.

Don't worry about it though - something else will kill you first.. :twisted: - that's my new motto.
LMWDP #570

#30: Post by Mark Well (original poster) »

I am waiting for the lubricant, gaskets and parts I ordered from chris's website to open the lever and clean the small chamber inside. There is probably a lot of chrome flaking there...I am impatient to see this! Thanks for the infos everyone.

JS