The Matrix Shower Screen - Page 9

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#81: Post by PIXIllate »

baldheadracing wrote:Caffewerks sold the last of their stock yesterday. They are expecting re-stock in a few weeks.

FYI, Caffewerks offers USPS 1st class parcel to Canada so the shipping cost for the screen was relatively reasonable ($13-something USD).
Do you feel it offers anything meaningful? I'd be willing to take a $75CAD flyer ust for science.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#82: Post by baldheadracing replying to PIXIllate »

Haven't received it yet :lol:.

Regardless, I suspect that any change I measure on the Strega with its unusual pressure/flow during pre-infusion won't be applicable to other machines.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Advertisement
PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#83: Post by PIXIllate replying to baldheadracing »

Let me know when you get it. Espresso is nothing if it isn't to fiddle with.

Menissalt

#84: Post by Menissalt »

lucasd wrote:Menissalt, just a question did you check the shower with hot machine?
Yes, this was fully heated.

Something I doubt will change with the replacement is that this really holds onto grounds and a flush isn't enough to get them off like it is with my ims nanoquartz.

walr00s
Supporter ♡

#85: Post by walr00s replying to Menissalt »

I don't have this problem, however I'm finding it harder to get a nice looking flow on the naked PF, especially when I'm grinding very fine and using a longish PI. Overall, can't say I'm noticing much of a difference one way or the other as far as taste goes.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#86: Post by baldheadracing »

PIXIllate wrote:Let me know when you get it. Espresso is nothing if it isn't to fiddle with.
An IG post today of a third party (not the designer) testing the Matrix is claiming:
Extraction yield standard: 19.41% Brix 8.84
Extraction yield Matrix: 20.35% Brix 7.86
I wouldn't want that level of variation between the samples. Brix going down with EY going up means, as a rough example, the non-Matrix was 20g in 50g out and the Matrix was 20g in 60g out. I would expect to see a higher EY based on the different brew ratios alone.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Menissalt

#87: Post by Menissalt »

Looking at this they noticed that the matrix shots flow more fast and also had lower extraction. From what I can tell this was just an intial comparison and I'm willing to bet the recipe was time based. Based on that it would make sense that the shower screen with a more fast flow would have higher yield.

So far this tells us very little

Advertisement
Jesse.F

#88: Post by Jesse.F »

Stock vs matrix on Quick Mill Carola

It takes a second or so longer for water to show up with the matrix, but it is definitely showing up evenly across the whole shower screen.

coffeeOnTheBrain

#89: Post by coffeeOnTheBrain »

I have installes the Matrix in my E61 heat exchanger and the puck looks like nothing else, but I have an issue hearing how long I need too flush. Basically I can't hear it anymore. This leaves me guessing timing instead of just hearing when to stop the flush. Is that an issue for anyone else?

Jesse.F

#90: Post by Jesse.F »

Pulled my first two shots today. It wasn't the best timing, but I am trying a new bean as well (good dudes coffee, ethiopian) . Despite grinding to fine in both shots, I had the driest puck I've ever had. Usually when I pull the portafilter there is a little pool of water on top of the puck (gets absorbed quickly) And they still knocked out OK. But now it's just dry like I've seen others get, and it knocks out so cleanly I almost don't need to rinse.

I didn't have any issues with my stock screen, I just thought this looked like something fun to try, and I'm glad I did.