The Matrix Shower Screen - Page 8

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Menissalt

#71: Post by Menissalt »

Does y'alls flow look like the one in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_izYb8OIcMw

The flow from mine looks like the one on the left. Very even but not as advertised. I'm sure I'll hear back from them sometime next week, just curious if it's just mine.

almagoro

#72: Post by almagoro » replying to Menissalt »

hi!
there is one thing we did slightly different with the production run - we've minimized the curvature of the screen a bit. the curvature was the main reason the water came together in the center but it also concentrated the bubbles to create big ones (like you can see in the youtube) and our testers didn't like the look of it. with the flatter design the flow breaks to different areas and at low flow you can see drops. i'm posting some vids on my IG that show it.
however, once there's coffee in it - the aesthetics of the flow don't play any role.

have a look at your pressure gauge when you start the machine at 9bar. if it has a gauge on the group itself, you should see a quick rise in pressure till about 7.5-8bar over 1 sec (the group filling up) and then a slower rise of about 1.5bar in 1 second (the water penetrating the disc). as long as you see that, rest assured that the screen is in fact doing it's job by slowing the attacking water and creating a softer flow through the coffee.

any other questions, please bug me on my IG.
omri - del creatives

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#73: Post by baldheadracing »

pizzaman383 wrote:where can one buy one of these?
Caffewerks just made a few more available. I gave in to the hype and ordered one for the Strega.

https://caffewerks.com/collections/show ... een-by-dvg

(I think that the CMA/Astoria/Rancilio/Wega/etc. 57.5mm clip-on is the best current 58mm lever shower screen, but we'll see if I can be convinced otherwise :wink:.)

drH
Supporter ♡

#74: Post by drH »

almagoro wrote: hi!
there is one thing we did slightly different with the production run - we've minimized the curvature of the screen a bit. the curvature was the main reason the water came together in the center but it also concentrated the bubbles to create big ones (like you can see in the youtube) and our testers didn't like the look of it. with the flatter design the flow breaks to different areas and at low flow you can see drops. i'm posting some vids on my IG that show it.
however, once there's coffee in it - the aesthetics of the flow don't play any role.

have a look at your pressure gauge when you start the machine at 9bar. if it has a gauge on the group itself, you should see a quick rise in pressure till about 7.5-8bar over 1 sec (the group filling up) and then a slower rise of about 1.5bar in 1 second (the water penetrating the disc). as long as you see that, rest assured that the screen is in fact doing it's job by slowing the attacking water and creating a softer flow through the coffee.

any other questions, please bug me on my IG.
omri - del creatives
Is La Marzocco still off the table? Any way the community can help?

I have a non-standard machine (Olympia Maximatic with 54mm group). I have to wonder if there will even be a possibility for ordering custom sizes?

lucasd

#75: Post by lucasd »

Menissalt wrote:You're lucky, mine seems to be defective. Water has no resistance flowing through mine and the flow without a pf on looks the same as any other ims shower screen. My puck and crema are unchanged. I've reached out to caffewerks about it.
Sorry physics and pump will make it always flow, if you want to check slow flow try shower alone and water tap.

On londinium it drains without a problem. IMO better than the second-best IMS 35u Londinium version.

I did not look at crema, but it seems fine for both light and dark roast.

Menissalt

#76: Post by Menissalt »

I'm being sent a known working version to compare.

I was also informed that the production version was changed to have less resistance due to some users o-rings coming loose under the pressure. This plus the more flat bottom results in a very different looking flow than what we've seen.

Looking forward to their video showing what the new model is supposed to look like and also comparing what is being sent to me with what I have. I'll make sure to update everyone with my findings.

Holding off on saying anything about the performance until then.

emradguy
Supporter ❤

#77: Post by emradguy »

CoffeeMac wrote:Put it in your Londinium. Then we can compare notes :)
I'm thinking I'm going to do both. I had some issues the past two days with my Compressa, which I realized this am was related to a big pressure drop from my sprinkler system kicking in during my am coffee ritual. No bueno! I'm going to change the programming tomorrow, and then also upgrade the sprinkler controller to WiFi capable, so I can change it on the fly. This weekend we're going on a car trip for a week and I'm bringing the Andreja, so I'll bring the matrix along for the trip, and then swap it into the Compressa after I get back home.

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision
lucasd

#78: Post by lucasd »

Menissalt, just a question did you check the shower with hot machine?
When I initially installed and tested it with cold water it was not flowing very clean.
When the machine is warm the flow is quite nice.
I think a lot depends also if machine is level (though this seems be more problem in prod screens, as beta are concave)

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#79: Post by PIXIllate »

I've seen it asked but not answered. Are these available to buy and if so, where? I don't do social media or Instagram so any links there don't help.

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#80: Post by baldheadracing » replying to PIXIllate »

Caffewerks sold the last of their stock yesterday. They are expecting re-stock in a few weeks.

FYI, Caffewerks offers USPS 1st class parcel to Canada so the shipping cost for the screen was relatively reasonable ($13-something USD).