The Matrix Shower Screen - Page 11

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#101: Post by baldheadracing »

lucasd wrote:Really? The first sneeze from IMS was terrible (it may channel after it). Did not happen in my setup with multiple screens.
A few posts prior people were commenting on not being able to hear flash boiling during a cooling flush, so the pulls in the videos were done with no prior flush so folks could hear - or not hear - the flash boiling.

If a real shot was done with no flush, then the group would have filled so quickly that there would be no sneeze. Almost all dipper levers do this; they start with high-volume low-pressure high-temperature water. As demonstrated, the Strega can also have this starting behaviour (or not, if a flush is done). However, other HX levers that I have seen do not do this.

lucasd

#102: Post by lucasd »

Ok that makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

From my experience, I can add that EB 200u was making strange craters in spent puck. The behaviour was not visible in normal IMS 200u, loondinium IMS 35u and matrix. I did not have a chance to test Kafatek one.

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
CoffeeMac

#103: Post by CoffeeMac »

Here's a comparison between Matrix, stock Londinium screen and Londinium 35U screen (without portafilter).

Not much you can tell from this I think; will take some time / experience with each to see if I can tell the difference in extractions...
LMWDP #706

walr00s
Supporter ♡

#104: Post by walr00s »

After swapping between this screen and my Alexia's stock screen off and on for a few weeks now, I have changed my mind. The Matrix is an improvement in the cup, particularly when I have ground a coffee fine enough that I'm using JayBeck's trick of closing the needle valve and moving the lever to the middle position, allowing the puck to soak at ~2 bar before kicking the pump back on. The final result is noticeably cleaner. For the natural coffees I'm usually drinking, I get a stronger fruit flavor than with the stock screen, so well worth the money I spent on it.

kaptain_zero

#105: Post by kaptain_zero »

I'm just wondering if PIXIllate has had enough time to evaluate the Matrix. I sold him mine as I didn't find it worthwhile to me. Yes, it made a very small difference, but not enough in my personal opinion. I went back to my IMS Precision screen (the non coated version).

Christian

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#106: Post by PIXIllate » replying to kaptain_zero »

I'm almost ready to post my thoughts after using it for quite a few different coffees and switching back and forth mid bag. One thing that has cropped up is a squeaky e61 lever. I don't do a chemical backflush any more than twice a year and I haven't done one in about 6 months. This week my lever got stiff and began to squeak indicating a lack of coffee oils lubricating the cam. I've never had this issue before so I guess the Matrix screen really does prevent coffee from going back up into the machine when the pressure is released.

bonjing
Supporter ♡

#107: Post by bonjing »

Well I broke my shower screen. I will admit it was my fault and not the screen itself. I already contacted the manufacturer and let them know, and they said they were making it so that it would harder to do.

So here's what happened.

I went to clean my machine. When I took of the shower screen I was looking at the face of it and thought I saw a scratch. I went to rub it with my thumb and pop it went. I was totally surprised by this. I saw the white gasket and pressed fit everything back together. Seemed to work okay but the water comes out clear now versus the bubbly flow that is seen in other videos. Del creatives said that even though I put it back together it probably isn't working like it's supposed to anymore.

So just an FYI to be careful with your screens. I think I'll be buying another one when they are back in stock, and I'll just be more careful next time around.
★ Helpful

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
Jesse.F

#108: Post by Jesse.F »

I was changing my gasket today, and after over a month of 2-4 shots a day, and one back flush after each day's use, they're is zero sign of anything on the back of the screen. I don't know how quickly screens usually get dirty, but I know this is much cleaner than my stock screen was when I was when I put the matrix on.

bonjing
Supporter ♡

#109: Post by bonjing »

CoffeeMac wrote:Here's a comparison between Matrix, stock Londinium screen and Londinium 35U screen (without portafilter).

Not much you can tell from this I think; will take some time / experience with each to see if I can tell the difference in extractions...

video
From your video it seems that the londinium and matrix have almost the same style stream. Do you notice any difference between the two?

I'm guessing that the londinium is the same screen as the ims 35u and close to the ephq61?

CoffeeMac

#110: Post by CoffeeMac »

bonjing wrote:From your video it seems that the londinium and matrix have almost the same style stream. Do you notice any difference between the two?

I'm guessing that the londinium is the same screen as the ims 35u and close to the ephq61?
Londinium one is same as IMS 35U.

I've not noticed any difference in performance between the two screens, after swapping back and forth between the two over the past few weeks on my Compressa. With no 3-way valve and no "dirty water" going back into the machine, both screens were pristine on the inside. I typically get very even and consistent beading on the bottom of the basket with both; any unevenness can be traced to inattentive puck prep.

The Matrix screen looks a bit more robust, so perhaps it will last longer, but we'll see. At this point however it would be hard for me to justify the ~2x price I paid vs the 35u, at least on my lever machine. Perhaps it has more value on a pump-driven machine.
LMWDP #706