Mat for top of espresso machine

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
mnt

Postby mnt » Jun 10, 2018, 8:45 pm

Does anybody have food safe mats they use on top of their machines?

I'm trying to find something I can use to cover up finger holes on top of the Pro 300. It seems like a weird design choice to leave gaping holes where dust and insects can go into the water.

Thanks,
Manish
Manish

Kryptonicspb

Postby Kryptonicspb » Jun 10, 2018, 10:57 pm

You could use a silicon baking mat there are all kinds of shapes and sizes on amazon. But your machine in theory won't "vent" as well out the top, not sure that matters though

chipman

Postby chipman » Jun 10, 2018, 11:45 pm

Bad idea. Those holes are for venting. Put your cups up there. keeps them warm and keeps the big bugs out.

chris_n

Postby chris_n » Jun 10, 2018, 11:51 pm

i'm confused, does your machine have an open boiler? how will insects get in the water?

David R.

Postby David R. » Jun 11, 2018, 7:46 am

I've not seen the profitec in person, but from photos it looks like there might be finger holes in the lid over the water tank? In which case I understand Manish's concern, it is kind of cheap design. You could just cut down a strip of silicone (from a baking mat or a trivet; you should be able to find something suitable online for a few dollars) to a size small enough to cover this lid or even just the holes. As long as it only covers this lid, and not another part of the machine, heat venting won't be an issue.
David R.

mnt

Postby mnt » Jun 11, 2018, 8:12 am

Yeah, the holes are finger holes in the water reservoir cover. The tank is right underneath.

I believe the vent holes are on the side.

I'll look for the mats on Amazon...
Manish

belegnole

Postby belegnole » Jun 11, 2018, 10:06 am

I use the rubberized cabinet liner. Not the solid stuff, but the type that looks like what is used to stop throw rugs from slipping. It comes in a roll and I just cut off what I need. It also happens to be washable if you don't just cut another piece when it gets dirty. Oh, and colors to match your decor!

bluesman

Postby bluesman » Jun 11, 2018, 12:42 pm

Here's a great mat you can trim to size. It has perforations, but cut properly, it won't block many vent holes and can be positioned to cover finger holes. I have one on top of my machine. I trimmed a piece for my drip tray cover too.

Nik

Postby Nik » replying to bluesman » Jun 11, 2018, 2:48 pm

I have the same mat but not for the top. I use it to protect the drip tray from cups sliding across it. Comes in clear and a smoke gray color.

bettysnephew

Postby bettysnephew » Jun 11, 2018, 5:40 pm

bluesman wrote:Here's a great mat you can trim to size. It has perforations, but cut properly, it won't block many vent holes and can be positioned to cover finger holes. I have one on top of my machine. I trimmed a piece for my drip tray cover too.

I bought one of those a while back for my Bosco. It stinks so bad I removed it. I also feared it might melt.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586