Mat for top of espresso machine - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
bluesman

Postby bluesman » Jun 11, 2018, 6:04 pm

bettysnephew wrote:I bought one of those a while back for my Bosco. It stinks so bad I removed it. I also feared it might melt.

Stinks? As in smells bad? Or is this just your way of saying that you don't think it's very good? We have many silicone rubber products in the kitchen and never encountered any smell at all with any of them. We use silicone potholders, oven mitts, trivets, etc every day and love the material.

This mat has been great - it's still clear as glass and clean as a whistle. And it's not going to melt - silicone sheeting like this withstands temps far higher than our boilers can generate.

bettysnephew

Postby bettysnephew » Jun 12, 2018, 8:33 am

Works great as far as keeping scratches from trays but the plastic smell is over powering when heated atop the machine. It is working okay on the drip tray but I can still detect odor when hot water flushes are done. Is yours a silicon based product? Maybe in time the "plastic" odor will subside but still quite heavy 2 months later. Perhaps I am overly sensitive to this particular smell.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

bluesman

Postby bluesman » replying to bettysnephew » Jun 12, 2018, 9:15 am

Ours is silicone - my first post has a link to the exact product at BB&B. It has no odor at all despite sitting on the entire top (cup warmer and reservoir cover) 24/7. There is a similar mat made of a plastic material, but I prefer silicone & didn't look at it. The one I use is 25" long, which is big enough to cut into 2 parts for top and drip tray.

idrinkjetfuel

Postby idrinkjetfuel » Jun 13, 2018, 11:12 pm

belegnole wrote:I use the rubberized cabinet liner. Not the solid stuff, but the type that looks like what is used to stop throw rugs from slipping. It comes in a roll and I just cut off what I need. It also happens to be washable if you don't just cut another piece when it gets dirty. Oh, and colors to match your decor!

This is exactly what I have on my Lucca M58. I believe it is made by Rubbermaid. You can purchase at BB&B, amazon,Home Depot, etc. it has absolutely no odor. I wipe it down or rinse it off once a week. It has not deteriorated and it works great.

belegnole

Postby belegnole » replying to idrinkjetfuel » Jun 14, 2018, 8:51 am

Yes that's what I have, but in white. I found that it also works great for deadening vibration noise where my water tank cover sits. I just cut two thin strips and laid them where the metal to metal contact was.

mnt

Postby mnt » Jun 16, 2018, 7:24 am

Thanks for your suggestions. I ended up purchasing this. It's small enough to just cover the holes:

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Silicone ... B00W4C23PM

I didn't want to get a cabinet liner because I did not know how heat resistant they would be. And I have enough surface to warm cups.
Manish