The man behind the La Marzocco GS3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
HB
Admin

#1: Post by HB »

While I was at the SCAA conference in Seattle, I sort of crashed the ESI party and introduced myself to Bill Crossland, who has been working with La Marzocco on their then-rumored consumer espresso machine. I shook his hand and offered my makeshift business card (please, no laughing):

He said, "Oh yeah, I've seen your site. It's pretty good." I was a bit surprised a company big-wig would know about a piddly little consumer website, but hey, I'll take that as a compliment. Later he explained that he likes to keep abreast of everything espresso on the web, even the little guys (hmm-m, I wonder if his buddy Kent Bakke, who I met the day before, mentioned I wanted to talk with him).

As we both admired the machine on display, I commented: "Hey, you know that looks a lot like the Synesso Cyncra."

<insert pregnant pause as Bill weighs his response> :oops:

Ouch. I think hit a nerve, forgetting that some of the engineers who were layed off from the La Marzocco factories in the US went on to form... you guessed it, the short-lived TRUEH (what were they thinking when they picked that name?!?), then well... Synesso. At that point my brain re-engaged and I began to backpedal from my faux pas. Bill was kind enough to spend a few more minutes bantering about its preinfusion design. Someone interrupted him and he made his excuses.

(Click for photo of Bill Crossland and La Marzocco consumer model on CoffeeGeek.com.)
Dan Kehn