Lowering water debit on E61

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
desmodici

#1: Post by desmodici »

Just wanted to share a $1.12 mod I recently made based on discussions in another thread regarding lowering water debit. This specific mod was mentioned in the thread (apologies for duplicating info) but wanted to share specific results I experienced

My main challenge prior to the mod was extracting any shot that was more than 25 gm (out of 17-18 gm). As soon as I would get to the 25 range my shots would be super blonde, watery and stream would become unstable. I initially thought it was an issue with my super jolly (i.e. It wasn't "good" enough or burrs were not aligned)

Since I installed the smaller 0.5 mm gicleur (part below from epnw), this issue has been resolved. Smooth, clean extractions up to 1:2 ratio and much better in the cup. Shots are also more consistent and even at the start and throughout the extraction.

I highly recommend e61 owners try this mod. Super cheap and easily reversible if you don't experience positive results (just need to unscrew the mushroom and replace the gicleur which sits on top)

Thanks and hope I can help someone out by sharing

https://www.espressoparts.com/e-61-gicl ... mm-orifice

Hudson

#2: Post by Hudson »

Nice mod - I've been thinking of doing this on my new-to-me e61. Did you also lower the pump pressure when you did this, or just change the gicleur? I'm curious as to whether the the results you're getting are just from the different flow.
LMWDP #534

desmodici (original poster)

#3: Post by desmodici (original poster) »

I didn't change the pump pressure, only change was the gicleur (I like to change just one variable at a time)
My pump pressure is around 8-8.5 (a little over 9 with the blind)

jonr

#4: Post by jonr »

I suggest that your modification changed two things - slower ramp up in pressure and less pressure applied to the puck (where it matters).

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Bill33525 »

Changing the group jet size varies the time to fill the head space in the basket. After the head space is filled the pressure on the puck will be the same as before. Slowing the fill time allows the puck to wet before full pressure is applied. Viewing the various Slayer videos with Jason explaining Slayer brewing process will show the benefits of a slow infusion. Recently installed a .5MM jet in my V2B EVO. The delivery rate is now 60 ml in 10 seconds which is still way faster than required to pull a 40 ml shot in 30 seconds. Would like to try a smaller jet if I could find one.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#6: Post by cannonfodder »

Carburetor main jet for a motorcycle will often work, and you can get them in many sizes.

Group jet for an Elektra A3
Dave Stephens

TheCastanza

#7: Post by TheCastanza »

Is there any reason not to do this mod? E.g. Possible damage to the machine or lowering "in the cup" potential (to gain "forgiveness")?

jonr

#8: Post by jonr »

After the head space is filled the pressure on the puck will be the same as before.
Restrictions cause pressure drop whenever there is flow and more restriction causes more pressure drop. Only case this wouldn't be true is if there is a regulator after the restriction.

F1

#9: Post by F1 »

TheCastanza wrote:Is there any reason not to do this mod? E.g. Possible damage to the machine or lowering "in the cup" potential (to gain "forgiveness")?
I want to know this too.

F1

#10: Post by F1 »

desmodici wrote:Just wanted to share a $1.12 mod I recently made based on discussions in another thread regarding lowering water debit. This specific mod was mentioned in the thread (apologies for duplicating info) but wanted to share specific results I experienced

My main challenge prior to the mod was extracting any shot that was more than 25 gm (out of 17-18 gm). As soon as I would get to the 25 range my shots would be super blonde, watery and stream would become unstable. I initially thought it was an issue with my super jolly (i.e. It wasn't "good" enough or burrs were not aligned)

Since I installed the smaller 0.5 mm gicleur (part below from epnw), this issue has been resolved. Smooth, clean extractions up to 1:2 ratio and much better in the cup. Shots are also more consistent and even at the start and throughout the extraction.

I highly recommend e61 owners try this mod. Super cheap and easily reversible if you don't experience positive results (just need to unscrew the mushroom and replace the gicleur which sits on top)

Thanks and hope I can help someone out by sharing

https://www.espressoparts.com/e-61-gicl ... mm-orifice
What flow were you getting before the mod? What flow are you getting now? What size was the sucket you used to remove the gicleur?

My Giotto PPV2 with vibe pump is more forgiving than my Profitec 700 with rotary pump. The Giotto's water debit is significantly less than the Profitec 700. Hopefully installing the 0.5mm gicleur in the Profitec will yield similar results.