Low flow from a 1993 Elektra T1 - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Fullsack (original poster)

#11: Post by Fullsack (original poster) »

Is this right?: sws_ss@hotmail.com. Eric's didn't go through the first time, don't know if the second attempt was successful.
File size: 3299K
Rapidshare??
LMWDP #017
Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. T. Williams

Stuggi

#12: Post by Stuggi »

Ah, you sent it to my MSN address (remnants from a wasted youth) instead of my email (sstorholm@gmail.com). I'll pull it from there then. Thanks mate! :)

Rapidshare is a filesharing site. Basically you upload it instead of emailing it, and every one can download it for a set period. Only caveat is that you need to buy an account if you don't wanna wait 30 secs before the download starts. There are more of these sites around, one I think is named Megaupload, but they are all basically the same.
Sebastian "Stuggi" Storholm
LMWDP #136

Stuggi

#13: Post by Stuggi »

Very interesting manual, and very well written for an Italian machine. :mrgreen:

The "excessive" flushing and purging is probably to remove oils and swarf from the manufacturing process, the machine is probably oiled internally before shipping so that it doesn't rust/oxidize during shipping/storage. It also makes Elektra's QC easier, they just need to check the machines for functionality and remove as much swarf as is possible in a fast and efficient manner, leaving the final purging to the installers. This is a good thing, as this insures that someone actually sets up the machine properly, and if their QC fails, they aren't blamed as the technician that installs the machine can take the time to ensure that the machine is up to operating standards. A small added cost for the individual consumer as they still need the techie on site for installation, but a huge cost for the manufacturer that would unnecessarily be passed on to the consumer.

I also like their notes on back-flushing, cleaning, and how to get the group/HX cooled after a long standby (the draw water/1 liter flush routine).
LMWDP #136

Stuggi

#14: Post by Stuggi »

I put the manual on Google Docs for anyone that's interested.
LMWDP #136

cannonfodder
Team HB

#15: Post by cannonfodder »

Fullsack wrote:Can it be flushed without the gicleur and group cap before reassembly?
You would have a geyser. Yes you could run the pump with the group cap off but it will spray water like a garden hose. Guess how I know :mrgreen:

The derbies is a slim chance guess but you should still have that filter in there.

If the filter was missing, then you are probably missing the spring that holds it in place. You can see it in the above diagram. It could also be something partially blocking the group solenoid which is on the other side of the jet.

My machine is in storage, moving to a new house next week so I cannot compare flow rates. I also replaced my group jet with a smaller one. Elektra only makes one size jet, it is a 0.9mm.
Dave Stephens

erics
Supporter ★

#16: Post by erics »

It can be flushed without the gicleur or "groupcap" in place BUT you will need something as is pictured below:

The 1" (I think) homemade PVC spacer prevents the expansion plug from covering the upper group inlet hole. Elektra may be a little different as this stuff was sized for the standard E-61 grouphead. That particlular SS expansion plug was ordered from McMaster-Carr as the local hardware store offerings could not be sized properly.

Otherwise, as Dave says . . . get out the raincoat. :)
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#17: Post by Fullsack (original poster) »

The interior of the pilot in the grouphead solenoid had sludge and was corroded. It may have been the culprit. The fine mesh tube shaped filter screen in the pump didn't have a lot of gunk, but it doesn't take much to clog fine mesh. When the gicleur filter arrives, I'll know if the problem is solved.
LMWDP #017

#18: Post by Fullsack (original poster) »

cannonfodder wrote:The Elektra jet is 0.9mm.
The T1 in the office, a 2005, produces 7 1/4 ounces in 15 seconds. If all Elektras have the same size gicleur, I'm not sure why the flow rate differs from the 2003 T1 I have at home, (8 ounces in 15 seconds.) The office T1 runs quieter, so maybe it has to do with the difference in pumps.

I have an easier time making good shots with the machine with the slower flow.
LMWDP #017

shadowfax

#19: Post by shadowfax »

Pump pressure and scale accumulation on the jet will affect its flow rate. Also, with drilling the jet through metal, the diameter does not come out exactly every time (one primary reason ruby is used by LM and Synesso). This can yield minor differences in water debit like you've observed. The really low one is a problem, but the 2 you mention are easily in the margin of error.

If you're having trouble with the one that has higher flow, try dropping the brew pressure to compensate a bit. This should make it a bit more forgiving.
Nicholas Lundgaard

#20: Post by Fullsack (original poster) »

Pulled the pump, the shaft was frozen solid. The seller must have run the machine dry, burned out the pump and decided to dump the machine-another eBay story.

Got 8.5 ounces in 15 seconds with a new working pump, so about 4 ounces in 15 seconds from just water pressure without a pump, around 8 ounces in 15 seconds pump assisted.

Getting a heck of a racket from the electric motor, straining to turn a frozen pump probably didn't do it much good.

The machine just started spurting water from the safety valve and the pressure gauge is reading over 2 bar. That might be a story for another thread and another day.
LMWDP #017