Loud rotary pump

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
clyq

Postby clyq » May 15, 2019, 11:31 pm

My Izzo was on for quite some time before I got to it. The low water sensor got stuck and the reservoir was empty. I pulled a shot and heard some whooshing sounds that I've never heard before. I looked at my reservoir, corrected the mistake and tried pulling more shots the next day. It looks like it pulled in some air, though.

The issue is that the machine is louder. I took it apart to find where it's louder from and it's coming from the rotary vane. It's like a vibrating buzzing sound. Could air getting in have done that? Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Thank you all in advance!

JRising

Postby JRising » May 16, 2019, 10:00 am

Sorry, but Yes. Letting a pump run dry for more than a few seconds is terrible for it. Without water flowing is isn't conducting heat away from the points of friction and even a little bit of wear is going to make the pump noisier and less efficient. You may need to replace it soon, but keep using it and see how bad it is.

Haskens

Postby Haskens » May 16, 2019, 12:48 pm

It sounds like your pump may have taken some damage - I did run my pump without water for about 20 seconds once when the tube got kinked and it sounded that way but afterwards it went back to being silent. I would however recommend lifting the pump off the motor to check for leaks - better to catch it early rather than when it rusts through the motor bearing, and you're looking at replacing both the pump AND the motor...

clyq

Postby clyq » May 16, 2019, 1:53 pm

JRising wrote:Sorry, but Yes. Letting a pump run dry for more than a few seconds is terrible for it. Without water flowing is isn't conducting heat away from the points of friction and even a little bit of wear is going to make the pump noisier and less efficient. You may need to replace it soon, but keep using it and see how bad it is.

How do I know when it's met its last day?

Haskens wrote:It sounds like your pump may have taken some damage - I did run my pump without water for about 20 seconds once when the tube got kinked and it sounded that way but afterwards it went back to being silent. I would however recommend lifting the pump off the motor to check for leaks - better to catch it early rather than when it rusts through the motor bearing, and you're looking at replacing both the pump AND the motor...

My pump is below my motor thankfully :)

It's pretty silent the first second or two and get's a little louder after that.

JRising

Postby JRising » May 17, 2019, 9:11 am

clyq wrote:How do I know when it's met its last day?

If the machine is still brewing decent espresso, the pressure and flow are constant and the only issue is the noise... Then it's last day is when the noise begins driving you crazy.

You could, if you feel like it, change the pump-bypass-valve setting up or down a quarter bar to see if the noise lessens or changes at a differnet pressure. It won't fix the pump but may gather you some more time before you replace something.