La Marzocco Linea Mini is making a tiny whistle noise

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
linuxAndJavaScript

#1: Post by linuxAndJavaScript »

My Linea Mini is coming up on 2 years old in a few months. Tonight, I noticed that during its heat cycles (I think anyways), there is a tiny whistle noise. Any idea which part this may be coming from that I should check, please?

I opened it up and the whistle noise is definitely coming from the side of the boiler with vacuum breaker. But I can't pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from. It does make this noise after every heat cycle.

Could it be the vacuum breaker leaking? Usually it's a different noise like a gurgling. This is a high-pitched whistle noise.

Dylan

#2: Post by Dylan »

Did you take the sides off to get a good look? If not, Clive Coffee made a really good video for how to do that.

The vacuum breaker can leak from two spots. The usual place is where it shoots a bit of water and steam into the clear plastic tube. This would make the gurgling sound you described. The other place is the connection of the black, rubbery breaker body to the steel steam boiler. This happened to me, and it was making a high whistling noise. Somehow it had come loose. All I needed to do was hand tighten the breaker back onto the boiler. It is also slotted so you can use a wrench to tighten it. I'm wondering if this is where your problem is.

Also, I have one of the newer vacuum breakers. If you're looking in and don't see a black one, but a brass piece that sticks up instead, that's an older one.

Advertisement
linuxAndJavaScript (original poster)

#3: Post by linuxAndJavaScript (original poster) »

Thank you very much! I re-tightened the bolt (leading from vacuum breaker) into the steam boiler and it seems to have fixed the issue. The bolt was already tight so I don't know why it was leaking like that.

Dylan

#4: Post by Dylan »

I'm glad that helped. The same exact thing happened to me, and it took me a while to figure out.

linuxAndJavaScript (original poster)

#5: Post by linuxAndJavaScript (original poster) »

Dylan wrote:Also, I have one of the newer vacuum breakers. If you're looking in and don't see a black one, but a brass piece that sticks up instead, that's an older one.
Where do I find one of the newer black ones, please? I have the old brass ones. On the usual shops they show the old brass ones also. Also, in your opinion are the newer ones a lot better?

Dylan

#6: Post by Dylan »

The new vacuum breaker is part number B.2.029.

I'm not really sure how this one compares with the older model. I got my Linea Mini a year ago, and it came with this one, so this is the only kind I have used.