Lelit Victoria question/possible problem - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
SandraF

#11: Post by SandraF »

I haven't actually timed it and do 4 oz. mostly, sometimes more. But I barely get the tip under the surface and it goes up fast from there. My foam varies in quality, but I'm not picky. Lol

elkayem

#12: Post by elkayem »

SandraF wrote:Curious. Question, so it takes 25-30 seconds to steam around 10 0z milk? That seems like an awful lot of time to steam. Maybe that's the norm with single boiler machines?

To what temperature are you heating the milk?
I would expect it to take about 50 seconds to steam 10 oz milk with a 300 ml boiler, depending on the initial boiler temperature. It takes longer than you might think.

Flair Espresso: handcrafted espresso. cafe-quality shots, anytime, anywhere
Sponsored by Flair Espresso
SandraF

#13: Post by SandraF »

Gotcha. My Synchronika has a 2 liter steam boiler, up to 2 bars of pressure.

RiversPhoto

#14: Post by RiversPhoto »

So I have the Victoria and bought it for making doppios every morning. My choice are comfort blends.

But I did make a cappa this am and have the following times for reference:
Espresso to steam ready --> 50 seconds
heating 5 oz. 1% milk straight from the fridge to 140F --> 45 sec
Back to espresso temp for another shot --> minutes...

I bought this particular machine because it has a PID and internal timer and I make milk drinks rarely. Works great for that use case and I'm really happy. My wife likes that it takes up a small amount of counter space.

chanty 77 (original poster)

#15: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) » replying to RiversPhoto »

My only drink is a cappuccino one time per day (4 shots, so 2 doubles) with about 5 ounces of milk. Making the espresso is a piece of cake for the very most part unless I am trying new beans & have sink shots & have to re-do the shots til I dial it in right. That's obviously not the Victoria error--it's my error. I'm going to really watch this machine's performance on the steaming very carefully before the 30 days is up of ownership because I will be able to either return it or replace it (possibly with an Elizabeth dual boiler that is only 3" wider, rest of dimensions are the same). If making two double shots of espresso, and steaming 5 oz. of milk (which typically takes me about 30 seconds) causes this to go back into the brew mode---this will not work for me. I know it is a single boiler that doesn't have the power of a dual boiler or HX. I know that the pump has to refill the boiler while steaming, but if it can't handle steaming 5oz. of milk before pump kicks in & it starts going back to brew temp at 201°right in the middle of my steaming which totally ruins the milk, this won't work for me. Granted out of 18 times of using the machine (got it 18 days ago), it has only done this 4 times, so intermittently--but if it keeps up doing this regularly, I will return it. My husband keeps asking me why my Gaggia Classic which only has a 3ounce boiler (100ml) could do a ton of shots all at one time & still steam up to 10 oz. of milk without issues? I don't understand why. I do know I love having a PID. I really notice a big 'thumbs up' in flavor with the Victoria.

elkayem

#16: Post by elkayem »

When your machine goes back to brew mode while steaming, can you press the steam button again, and does it go back to steam mode? If so, maybe that would be an acceptable workaround. It is true that brewing and steaming on a single boiler is not exactly convenient. This is why I switched to a double boiler earlier this year, and why I would never want to go back.

#17: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) » replying to elkayem »

Yes, I tried that. The other day--I hit the steam button after it was going back to "brew" temp. It immediately started to go to steam temp again (275°) The bar has to complete under the 275 before it is ready to steam which doesn't take very long. That does seem to be a workaround. Thing is if this happens on a regular basis (so far out of the 18 days I've owned this machine, it has happened 4 times out of 18)---I may end up returning this as the only drink I drink is milk based. What kind of sucks is that I googled this to death, and asked various vendors opinions on single boiler vs. dual boiler for my situation. My situation, I'm the only real coffee drinker in the home, we don't rarely entertain & when we do--no one wants coffee/espresso, I can only drink one 4 shot cappuccino per day or my heart goes nuts. All of those reasons pointed to getting by with a single boiler. Yet, if this is what one has to go through to steam & microfoam about 5 oz. of milk, that is nuts.

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
elkayem

#18: Post by elkayem »

This is the nature of single boiler machines. A compromise for sure. My experience with my old Silvia was not too different. I enjoyed it for 8 years but eventually needed to graduate to a double boiler.

#19: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) » replying to elkayem »

I noticed you have a lelit bianca dual boiler---thing is, I can't afford an almost $3,000 espresso machine. I thought $1,000 for the Victoria was a lot. The Elizabeth is about $1800. The only reason I would want to upgrade is for that separate boiler for my ONE drink a day. Sad, right?

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by PIXIllate »

I have found many times in life that spending more upfront costs less in the long run. Espresso has proven to be a primary example of that for me. A big part of home espresso is enjoying the process of making it. Given how infuriating it can be to get that little pile of grounds to behave the same way repeatidly the equipment will remain the focus until its of a certain performance/quality level. I can't imagine not using a dual boiler. I'm glad it only took me part of a year with a Gaggia Classic to learn that.

I know it sounds dismissive to have so many people recommend that you spend more money on better equipment but it's just the nature of this beast. It's a fairly expensive endeavour to make this form of coffee at home, despite all the manufacturer marketing to the contrary.