Lelit pl041TEM: Having problems frothing 600ML pitcher

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
skkk

#1: Post by skkk »

Hi,
I have the Lelit pl041TEM (PID and multi directional steam wand) for about a month and while I'm able to steam a small, 350ML ,pitcher
and get the texture I want, It seems that my machine isn't powerful enough for steaming a 600ML pitcher.

I fill about half of the pitcher (as I do with the smaller one) and pass the air injection phase successfully, but somewhere during
the vortex stage I'm just running out of steam.. (I hear the sound I hear when I close the knob while it is opened and see that milk stops rolling)

Is 600ML too much for this machine? What should I do when I hear that no steam is left? continue and wait for the machine to catch up?

Will be happy to hear opinions of other owners.

skansen

#2: Post by skansen »

IMHO 600ml is too much for Anna. Pitcher shouldn't be bigger than boiler :)

skkk (original poster)

#3: Post by skkk (original poster) »

Isn't a 600ML is standard pitcher size for 2 lattes / cappuccinos?

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

Entry-level machines generally have one or more compromises. Steaming milk for each drink separately (and waiting long enough for it to come back up to full temperature for the second pitcher) seems to be one of the Anna.

Many people steam for each drink separately even on high-and machines, especially if they are looking for uniform quality microfoam.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#5: Post by baldheadracing »

I never steamed anything over 200ml with the group/boiler in the Anna. That's the most that I would dare steam with that boiler size and heating element.

200ml is also the amount of milk needed for two Italian standard cappuccinos (Each cappa uses 100ml cold milk - http://www.inei.coffee/en/The-Certified ... ccino.html )

I don't think that is coincidence.

skkk (original poster)

#6: Post by skkk (original poster) »

Please note that I'm not trying to steam 600ML, I'm using a 600ML pitcher.
I guess that the amount of milk I'm actually steaming is ~300-350 ML.

But I get it, looks like even this is too much..

Jeff
Team HB

#7: Post by Jeff »

With steam power available throughout the process, you may find that you need 3x the pitcher as milk so you can get a better vortex/whirlpool going. For example, a 35 cl pitcher for ~100 ml of milk.