Lelit MaraX - Page 10

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
GregoryJ

#91: Post by GregoryJ »

Does anyone know if it's possible to purchase this machine in the USA without going through 1st-line? Especially interested if there is a company on the west coast.

holybean
Supporter

#92: Post by holybean »

I actually did order from 1st-line. Seemed to be the only game in town.

Does anybody know if my Silvia naked pf will fit the MaraX? (please say yes)

borez

#93: Post by borez »

another_jim wrote:My test machine had an RS232(!) line from the Gicar for monitoring (thermosyphon and boiler temp). I did not look closely to see how it was done; but there appears to be an unsocketed output port on the circuit board they soldered into. I'll see if the Lelit folks are interested in giving out info (it may take a few weeks, since they are at home now, so patience please).
Thanks Jim. I believe Mauro showed (via his Youtube channel) on the RS232 functionality. I believe this was done via a Telnet interface.

Separately, it'll be great if Lelit could produce a breakout box (or outline the schematics) for this. This would be great.

randyr5

#94: Post by randyr5 »

GregoryJ wrote:Does anyone know if it's possible to purchase this machine in the USA without going through 1st-line? Especially interested if there is a company on the west coast.
Doubtful. There aren't many US vendors that carry Lelit. 1st-Line has been selling them for quite a while. Clive Coffee has the Bianca, but that's it.

holybean
Supporter

#95: Post by holybean »

clive said they would test one and to check back.

holybean
Supporter

#96: Post by holybean »

any marax owners care to share their experience with the machine if you've put it through its paces? i'm very curious about its general performance.

holybean
Supporter

#97: Post by holybean »

There's a switch on the Mara X that toggles between steam temperature and brew temperature. In his review @anotherjim said in conclusion that he likes to "intervene in a shot," and that the Mara X is designed to do all of the work itself. Would switching to steam temp - thus turning the machine into a more traditional HX - allow you to 'intervene' more? What other purpose do you see that switch having? Or is it best to set and forget?

skansen

#98: Post by skansen »

Classic HX mode is like manual mode in automatic gearbox. For espresso IMHO there is no need to switch to the "classic" mode.

For milk coffees, some people may prefer classic mode. In X-mode PID is maintaining temperature basing on probe installed in exchanger. As a result, temperature and pressure in boiler is getting lower and lower, down to about 0,5bar. If full steam pressure is needed, it is necessary to make short flush to increase temperature and pressure in the boiler. Some people may prefer classic HX, with its constant, higher temperature and pressure in the boiler.

another_jim
Team HB

#99: Post by another_jim »

holybean wrote:In his review @anotherjim said in conclusion that he likes to "intervene in a shot," and that the Mara X is designed to do all of the work itself. Would switching to steam temp - thus turning the machine into a more traditional HX - allow you to 'intervene' more?
No. By intervening, I mean using a lever or a flow control device. Using the X in "classic" mode just means having to do the flushing PITA as with any other HX machine. The joke is if you are in X mode and give the machine a short flush, the steam pressure will be higher by the time you've ground and tamped than if you have it in the highest "classic" setting. I'm pretty sure that switch was added by the marketing department so they could get to use the world "classic" somewhere ... anywhere ... "we just love that word so much."
Jim Schulman

holybean
Supporter

#100: Post by holybean »

does a flow control mod make any sense then for this machine in classic mode?

thanks for the information.