Lelit MaraX - Page 9

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
another_jim
Team HB

#81: Post by another_jim »

holybean wrote:if one wanted to more 'actively drive the shot' on the marax would modding with flow control and/or switching to steam over brew make any difference, or does the preinfusion function negate that possibility. i guess i'm asking if there is a way to make marax a little more 'manual' if one wanted a bit more control over variables?
I probably need to make a note of this in the review. You can retrofit the Bianca or Profitech needle valve and paddle on this machine like on most other E61s. You would still get the steady temperature control; so it would work better on the X than on most other HX E61s. However, by making the change, you would be removing the jet and spring that gives the X its particular tuning. That means, if you don't use the paddle, the pressure ramp would be back to the standard E61 pattern: about 7 seconds of very low pressure, followed by a two second ramp to full pressure.
Jim Schulman

holybean
Supporter

#82: Post by holybean »

interesting. thx.

tinman143
Supporter ♡

#83: Post by tinman143 »

GregoryJ wrote:Hi Randy, that's right. another_jim mentioned it here. It also looks like the 7% discount works on it.
Unfortunately the 7% code doesn't work for Lelit.

GregoryJ

#84: Post by GregoryJ » replying to tinman143 »

Darn, it was just working the other day. I guess they just realized it and excluded it.

tinman143
Supporter ♡

#85: Post by tinman143 »

One of the justifications I'm using to convince the wife why I should purchase the Mara x is the water spout. It could replace the hot water boiler on the counter but only if the unit can remain on during the day. I would be using a smart plug with the Mara set for 12 hours. Would this not be recommended? It looks like the Rocket Appartamento could be and it's also an e61 HX device.

Another question would be if getting a group thermometer would be recommended?

skansen

#86: Post by skansen »

tinman143 wrote:One of the justifications I'm using to convince the wife why I should purchase the Mara x is the water spout. It could replace the hot water boiler on the counter but only if the unit can remain on during the day. I would be using a smart plug with the Mara set for 12 hours. Would this not be recommended? It looks like the Rocket Appartamento could be and it's also an e61 HX device.
Mara can work all day long. Now I'm using Mara with WiFi plug and it works perfectly. Power consumption is about 1.5kWh / day.
Another point is using hot water tap instead of water boiler. In HX machines water tap pours water with steam and splashes. There are also some other concerns about using hot water from HX machine.

If good water tap is important I recommend Lelit Elizabeth or other machine with "no splash" water tap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOvcCzUy3pg
tinman143 wrote: Another question would be if getting a group thermometer would be recommended?
In Mara-X group thermometer it is not a must, because PID controls temperature in exchanger.

tinman143
Supporter ♡

#87: Post by tinman143 »

skansen wrote:Mara can work all day long. Now I'm using Mara with WiFi plug and it works perfectly. Power consumption is be about 1.5kWh / day.
Another point is using hot water tap instead of water boiler. In HX machines water tap pours water with steam and splashes. There are also some other concerns about using hot water from HX machine.

If good water tap is important I recommend Lelit Elizabeth or other machine with "no splash" water tap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOvcCzUy3pg

In Mara-X group thermometer it is not a must, because PID controls temperature in exchanger.
Thanks for your answers. Besides the splashing, what are some other concerns with using hot water from HX? She would be using that function for tea throughout the the day and I would be making espressos 2-3x

skansen

#88: Post by skansen »

tinman143 wrote:Besides the splashing, what are some other concerns with using hot water from HX? She would be using that function for tea throughout the the day and I would be making espressos 2-3x
Concerns are about taste of water and its mineralization. Another concern is about faster boiler calcification.
However some people are using water from HX to brew tea and are not complaining. Please refer to: HX Hot Water/Tea Wand - Proper Use .

myso

#89: Post by myso »

skansen wrote:In Mara-X group thermometer it is not a must, because PID controls temperature in exchanger.
Which type of the thermocouple is used at thermo-syphon return? If it's a common type of probe (K, pt100 etc), wouldn't it be very easy to take two/three leads from the gicar terminals and attach a digital thermometer readout with a simple 3 digit screen? Which can be found for less than 5$.

another_jim
Team HB

#90: Post by another_jim »

My test machine had an RS232(!) line from the Gicar for monitoring (thermosyphon and boiler temp). I did not look closely to see how it was done; but there appears to be an unsocketed output port on the circuit board they soldered into. I'll see if the Lelit folks are interested in giving out info (it may take a few weeks, since they are at home now, so patience please).
Jim Schulman