Lelit MaraX - Page 8

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
HB
Admin

#71: Post by HB »

Sorry for not posting this earlier: If you're considering the Mara X, you'll want to read Jim's Lelit MaraX review. If you have questions you'd like him to address as part of the review, post them in this thread.
Dan Kehn

GregoryJ

#72: Post by GregoryJ »

skansen wrote:Local coffee machine distributor send it for review. So it's temporary replacement...
Both machines are very nice. Now it too early to say which is better... For sure big advantage of Mara-X is it's very narrow body - width is less than 9 inches.
Hi Skansen, thanks, I will be interested to read your impressions after you have more time with them. I'm just trying to understand Lelit's product lines... does it seem like the Mara (Pro Line) has a sturdier build than the Elizabeth (VIP line)? I noticed the Mara weighs about 1.5x as much in a similar package, but I didn't know if that is because of the E61 group or just more dense materials all around.

skansen

#73: Post by skansen »

GregoryJ wrote: I'm just trying to understand Lelit's product lines...
In Lelit range 50s line is basic, simple line, with small boilers and DB machine. Body is made of polished steel. Almost no electronic, except few models with basic PID.

VIP line include small single boilers and DB machine. Body is made of brushed steel. Machines are controlled with LCC. LCC is expanded PID which controls also other parameters like time of extraction etc. VIP line share some components (boilers, pumps etc) with 50s line.

PRO line is "big boilers" line with E61 groups.

GregoryJ wrote: I'm just trying to understand Lelit's product lines... does it seem like the Mara (Pro Line) has a sturdier build than the Elizabeth (VIP line)? I noticed the Mara weighs about 1.5x as much in a similar package, but I didn't know if that is because of the E61 group or just more dense materials all around.
It looks like the body of both machines is made of the same steel. Thickness of steel is the same on both machines. Difference in weight results mailny from the much bigger boiler in Mara. E61 group and valves for steam/hot water are also increasing Mara's weight.

From my point of view Mara-X is completely redesigned, improved model of Mara with some improvements already implemented in VIP line (brushed steel body etc.).

randyr5
Supporter ♡

#74: Post by randyr5 »

1st Line is taking pre-orders for the MaraX. $1389

GregoryJ

#75: Post by GregoryJ »

Hi Randy, that's right. another_jim mentioned it here. It also looks like the 7% discount works on it.

holybean

#76: Post by holybean »

any reason to use the marax as trad hx (steam priority)? having used a silvia for 12 years i suspect i'm used to working relatively (emphasis on relatively) hard for good espresso. so while i'm very excited for marax i'm also wary of such a 'hands off' experience. plus, i've never used an hx.

might play with it anyway...

Stanford55
Supporter ♡

#77: Post by Stanford55 »

From the product description:

"Additionally, it provides water flow that gives you the flexibility to make all different types of coffee using different roasts".

From another_jim's product review:

"The other big change on the X is that the preinfusion time is longer, and the pressure ramp up is much more linear. The result is that you can use finer grinds just like on a commercial lever and profiling machine... these tweaks make using the machine a lot more like using a profiling or lever machine than using a conventional fixed brew pressure machine".

Page 9 of the advance version of the manual
mentions simply lifting the grouphead lever. That's it. Maybe that's all there is to it, but the X sounds exceptional or different with regards to its preinfusion capability. I've got a Cremina as my daily driver, and was curious to know how the X functions as a lever machine if you're not manipulating the lever somehow. Is it the flow rate and ramp up is already predetermined? Then how do you adjust for different coffee (per the product description)? I apologize in advance for my ignorance.

Edit: I understand Jim's description of the preinfusion process and the slower ramp up to full pressure. I'm wondering how this is actuated with the lever. Just pull all the way and it does this automatically? So you can't really adjust for different roast levels, right?

another_jim
Team HB

#78: Post by another_jim »

No, it's not like a lever or profiling machine with respect to direct control over the flow and pressure. It is like a lever or profiling machine in that it automatically does the slow and steady pressure ramp up you or any experienced lever head would use with finely ground coffee.

80% of the lousy espresso I've had is due to coarsely ground coffee in overstuffed baskets. So machines that force you to grind finer and leave more head space above the puck will automatically improve your shots; especially if you are a beginning or intermediate hobbyist. Combine this with no need for flushing or other temperature control acrobatics, and you have a friendly machine.

I'm not a beginner, and probably a bit beyond intermediate as well. Nevertheless, I'm enjoying using the machine. I'm not sure if it's quieter or just has a more pleasant sound than most vibe pumps, but whatever it is, it's not annoying. No headstand tamps and puck torture is needed to produce good pours, since the long ramp up patches most defects in the puck prep. And you don't have to be active during the shot. Mostly, I like actively driving the shot, so I'll go back to the Bianca and Strega; but these months of reviewing are a really nice vacation for me.
Jim Schulman

holybean

#79: Post by holybean »

if one wanted to more 'actively drive the shot' on the marax would modding with flow control and/or switching to steam over brew make any difference, or does the preinfusion function negate that possibility. i guess i'm asking if there is a way to make marax a little more 'manual' if one wanted a bit more control over variables?

Stanford55
Supporter ♡

#80: Post by Stanford55 »

Jim, I appreciate your feedback. I've preordered the machine, and view it as an excellent alternative to the Cremina on those days when you want to make several consecutive shots with minimal fuss. The compact footprint, temperature stability, preinfusion capability, pricepoint, and aesthetic quality make this an attractive machine indeed!