Lelit MaraX - Page 39

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
rusalexro

#381: Post by rusalexro »

I updated the timer I made previously to also get some info from the machine using a serial connection:

Eres

#382: Post by Eres replying to rusalexro »

Now that's badass

rusalexro

#383: Post by rusalexro »

Just some mentions that can make things a bit clearer

Whoever is interested the code is here: https://github.com/alexrus/espresso_tim ... imerv2.ino

it uses a NodeMCU esp8266, a reed sensor and a I2C 0.96" oled display.

someone did something similar here:

This setup does not show the actual brew water temperature, but the temperature of the water returning from the group.
It's usefull to know if the temperature is stable or hot since the "ready to brew" led indicator lights up when the brew water is around 80 degrees C.

chelidon

#384: Post by chelidon »

rusalexro wrote:Just some mentions that can make things a bit clearer
Outstanding -- thanks!

badgerbimmer

#385: Post by badgerbimmer »

rusalexro wrote:I updated the timer I made previously to also get some info from the machine using a serial connection:
You should produce and sell those!

iseebirdsfly

#386: Post by iseebirdsfly »

To anyone who installed flow control kit, could you give some feedback/review.
Are you happy with it?
Are there any tradeoffs when installing it on MaraX (like losing some features from stock setup)?
What profile looks like if you just fully open the valve?
Does it still does pre-infusion and slow ramp up?
Could I just leave it open when I do "morning" espresso and use it only when I want to experiment?
Thank you.

rusalexro

#387: Post by rusalexro replying to iseebirdsfly »

There should be no drawbacks to installing the flow control kit. I have mine set up exactly like in the instructions and it works great.
I still have my first coffee drips into the cup at around ~13 seconds after pump start, like before the kit.

The flow control does not affect your group heating, your group will heat the same if the paddle is closed or open.
I leave mine open all the time when brewing regular coffee or cappuccino, but when I have a lighter roast, I usually play with the preinfusion.

Bluenoser (original poster)

#388: Post by Bluenoser (original poster) »

rusalexro wrote:I updated the timer I made previously to also get some info from the machine using a serial connection:

See, that is where these traditional machines should be evolving towards.. great job in getting access to the data info. Lelit just needs to make it beacon that over bluetooth.. Seriously.. that is where this stuff will get to eventually. Full marks for the Lelit designer who created the data port.

iseebirdsfly

#389: Post by iseebirdsfly »

rusalexro wrote:There should be no drawbacks to installing the flow control kit. I have mine set up exactly like in the instructions and it works great.
I still have my first coffee drips into the cup at around ~13 seconds after pump start, like before the kit.

The flow control does not affect your group heating, your group will heat the same if the paddle is closed or open.
I leave mine open all the time when brewing regular coffee or cappuccino, but when I have a lighter roast, I usually play with the preinfusion.
Thank you. So basically when open it works same as stock.

Michael Francis SF

#390: Post by Michael Francis SF »

I did some measurements on my Mara X this evening looking at temperatures and pressures in Brew Temperature Priority Mode using:
* Scace Thermofilter (tested and suspected to be accurate to +/- 0.1 deg F)
* Eric's E61 Digital Thermometer (tested and suspected to be accurate to +/- 0.1 deg F)
* Eric's E61 Pressure Gauge Adapter (accuracy unknown)

In summary:
Temperature settings 0 and 1 are in the 195-200F and 200-205F range on the Scace, respectively.
Pressure is ~9 bar at puck.

Observations:
* Eric's E61 Digital Thermometer reads 0 to 1 degree F higher than my at-the-puck Scace Thermofilter
* Mara X Pump Pressure gauge reads 1 bar higher than near-the-puck Eric's E61 Pressure Gauge Adapter
* Near the puck pressure is about 9.1 to 9.3 bar measured with Erics E61 Pressure Gauge Adapter
* With temperature switch in position 0, I see temperatures on the Scace Thermofilter in the 195 to 200F range (1 hour plus warmup, pulling 30 grams of water every 2 minutes).
* I didn't spend as much time measuring temperature switch position 1, but in a half dozen Scace tests that I did I saw 200F to 205F. I didn't bother looking at position 2 at all.

While my machine doesn't have the temperature stability that is suggested by some reviews and Lelit (possibly due to my measurement technique), I'm nonetheless very pleased with these results, especially considering price point of the Mara X. And more importantly, the shots I've been pulling are very good.

Michael

Test setup 1: Scace and Eric's E61 Digital Thermometer

Test setup 2: Eric's E61 Pressure Gauge Adapter