Lelit MaraX Pump Installed in Mara

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
randyr5
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by randyr5 »

I've had my Mara S-T for a couple of years now, since 1st-Line was practically giving them away. :D When the MaraX came out, I considered selling the S-T and getting it, but then came to my senses.
But, what I did do yesterday was swap out the Mara's ULKA pump for the MaraX's OLAB pump. The pumps are identical in size, so no problem there. The new pump comes fully fitted-fittings on both ends of the pump and the rubber feet/standoffs. The feet have a new design for the new pump, but they fit the older Mara perfectly.
Today was the big test. First, the pump is quieter, but not quite as quiet as the MaraX. My guess is that the X has better fit and finish and maybe more provisions to limit vibrations. I will try to tighten up the Mara a bit and maybe install some sound deadening material to see if it helps.
The biggest difference is in the pre-infusion. The old pump would go from 0 right to 4, stay there a couple of seconds, and then to full pressure. The OLAB pump does a slow gradual rise throughout the pre-infusion, more similar to what you would see with a flow control device. I've only been using it for a day, but the shots seem to be bit tastier. I have my max pressure at 9 bar. I may play with that to see if it makes a difference.
Overall, I'm happy with the new pump.

One other mod that I highly recommend for owners of the S-T. I did this to my machine about a year ago. The S-T comes with a 2.5mm restrictor and it's installed at the boiler end of the tube that goes from the boiler to the top of the group, even though the Lelit schematic shows the restrictor at the group end of the tube.
Lelit also makes a 2mm restrictor. What I did was remove the 2.5mm and install the 2mm at the group end of the tube. Press fit and maybe a few taps with a nylon head hammer, no soldering/brazing involved. This lowered my idle temp by about 5 degrees, and more importantly it eliminated thermosyphon stall, which I used to get pretty regularly. I no longer have "dragon flushes" because of the lower temp. My idle temp went from 208-209F to 203-204F. With this mod and now the new pump, this machine will suit my needs for quite a while.
I have one extra 2mm restrictor if anyone is interested in doing this mod. Just PM me and I'll send it out.

ECM Manufacture: @ecmespresso #weliveespresso
Sponsored by ECM Manufacture
randyr5 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by randyr5 (original poster) »

After now having pulled a few shots, the pump is quieter today. Maybe it needed a little breaking in. It's still a vibe pump and it makes some noise, but quite a bit less than the ULKA.

JRising

#3: Post by JRising »

Thanks for sharing your success on doing this. I have wondered if it were as simple as just swapping the pump with the Quite MaraX one and am sure others are. Now I have an answer.

DaveC

#4: Post by DaveC »

The two huge bonuses are:

Much quieter
Nice gentle ramp to pressure

I think the gentle ramp makes a much better shot.

caldwa
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by caldwa »

randyr5 wrote: But, what I did do yesterday was swap out the Mara's ULKA pump for the MaraX's OLAB pump. The pumps are identical in size, so no problem there.
Are the fittings any different when comparing the ULKA pump and the OLAB pump? I wonder if the OLAB pump could replace other vibratory pump machines that use the ULKA E_X5 pumps. I'd love to replace the pump in my Profitec Pro300 with something that can mimic a slower preinfusion.

Supporter ♡

#6: Post by randyr5 (original poster) » replying to caldwa »

I don't see why not. The ends are the same as the ULKA pump. The one I got looks like the one pictured below, with fittings already installed for the Mara. They could easily be replaced with the Profitec fittings if needed.

DaveC

#7: Post by DaveC »

caldwa wrote:Are the fittings any different when comparing the ULKA pump and the OLAB pump? I wonder if the OLAB pump could replace other vibratory pump machines that use the ULKA E_X5 pumps. I'd love to replace the pump in my Profitec Pro300 with something that can mimic a slower preinfusion.
I have two Lelit pumps for exactly that reason, trying them in other machines.....something I still need to get around to doing. For most machines (apart from Lelit), you will need to use the original Ulka/olab/AR15 etc.. mounts, as the lelit ones are meant to go in twist and fit holes. If you want to keep the supplied fittings so the shore hardness is the same...then a few holes and suitable metric nuts and bolts will need to be used.

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
caldwa
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by caldwa »

Okay I see, the fittings on the OLAB/Lelit look different than the Ulka pump in my Profitec (which I bought on Amazon and pretty much just dropped in). Where did you find the replacement OLAB pump?

Supporter ♡

#9: Post by randyr5 (original poster) »

After 6 days of use I can say that I really like this change. First - much quieter. Second - the slower, more gradual pre-infusion is real nice. With the ULKA pump, it was at zero for about 5 seconds, up to 4 for a couple of seconds and then to full pressure. With the OLAB, it's a gradual 15-second pre-infusion. And if I want an even longer pre-infusion, I can still do the "lever halfway up" trickle if wanted before pulling the shot.

The Mara is now closer to the behavior of a MaraX, except of course for the brew temp control. I can live with that, especially after somewhat taming my beast with the smaller restrictor.

BoulderGeek

#10: Post by BoulderGeek »

Very cool. I have the same OG Mara, and have been considering a new pump for these reasons.

Can you share where you sourced them from?