Lelit Elizabeth Owner Experience - Page 54

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
robotshark

#531: Post by robotshark »

What's the recommendation for the steam boiler temperature? And, moreso, what are the differences in setting it low to say 125c to high at 145c. I've been working on my milk steaming and am looking at all variables (currently have the machine at the default of 135c). I see some folks in this thread mentioning raising the steam boiler temp to 145c but I'd love more information about what the performance differences are in the various temperature. Thank you!

Pflunz

#532: Post by Pflunz »

There is a direct correlation between temperature and pressure.
Here you can find a table, the water saturation pressure is the absolut pressure, so you have to subtract your atmospherical pressure (~1bar) from it to get the "over pressure": https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wate ... d_599.html

For larger milk jugs ou typically want higher pressure (temperature), for smaller you want lower.

robotshark

#533: Post by robotshark replying to Pflunz »

So for a general rule of thumb, 135c for a small jug, 140c for medium (12oz~, 145c for larger (18oz) jugs?

Kpg

#534: Post by Kpg »

If anyone has a sticking steam knob, or it turns more than 3/4 turn.
I'd have a look at this vid ( lelit insider )
Here's some pics of what mine looked like.

chanty 77

#535: Post by chanty 77 »

Today I find out that the Lelit MC747 35L in tank water softener has been discontinued by Lelit, no reason why. I have been using this cartridge for 2 years since I purchased the Elizabeth. It came with the machine.

My problem with this size (and please tell me if it would even matter) is that the water level will go down in my reservoir sometimes halfway before I add water. Now, this wouldn't have mattered in the past with a 35L filter, now that the 70L is the only available one (double the size) that cartridge may be at times not be covered by water. Do I have to be cognizant that this cartridge is COMPLETELY covered by water at all times?

I was told by the vendor that the 70L has a service life of filtering up to 70 liters of water, whereas the 35L only filtered up to 35 liters. Other than the physical size, that is the only difference. We recommended the 35L for the Elizabeth because it took up less space in the reservoir.

Also, I was always told by the vendor I purchased the Elizabeth from that I could change the softener out every 6 months. The math would not equal to 6 months if it only filters 70 liters of water since a liter is about a quart of water. I probably add 4 cups of water to my machine every 2-3 days.

Anyone, your thoughts?

JRising
Team HB

#536: Post by JRising »

You certainly don't have to keep the whole filter submerged, it draws in from the bottom and feeds the machine out through the bottom.

There are cases where these in-tank softeners get cracked, perhaps frozen or smashed around in shipping and then they'll allow air to be sucked in above the reservoir's water-line (Snorkeling) if the filter is taller, but you'll notice this in the pump's noise and the loss of water through the machine.

chanty 77

#537: Post by chanty 77 replying to JRising »

Appreciate your reply. Math was never my forte, and as I say: 'Everything in life is a math equation.' What I DON'T get is that I was initially told by a number of people at the vendor where I purchased the machine that it is perfectly fine to change out the filter every 6 months. I also have those strips that at about 4 months I check to see where the water hardness is at, and typically it is still in the safe zone. I was told by the vendor that the 70L has a service life of filtering up to 70 liters of water, whereas the 35L only filtered up to 35 liters. Other than the physical size, that is the only difference. They recommended the 35L for the Elizabeth because it took up less space in the reservoir.

The math would not equal 6 months (when told to change filter) if it only filters 70 liters of water since a liter is about a quart of water. I probably add 2-4 cups of water to my machine every 2-3 days. Maybe it is not the same thing if I am adding water to existing water in the reservoir, probably 2-4 cups every approximately 3 days. I only make one cappuccino per day 99% of the time. That would be about 56-124g output for two double shots cappuccinos.

chanty 77

#538: Post by chanty 77 »

The vendor I bought the machine from & got in touch with Lelit both pretty much said the same thing: Manufacturer: 'Considering your low use of the machine, we confirm that you can replace the 70 l water softener filter every 6 months.

Anyway, we remind you that we always suggest following the reseller's instructions.'

Vendor: 'Yes, the estimate of when to change the filter will be based on usage.

As I stated in my last email: 'Everyone's usage will be different and we can only give suggestions based on our own usage of the filter cartridge.'

Z099269

#539: Post by Z099269 »

For those who have this machine, would you say that it is capable of brewing light roasts well? I'm strongly considering buying a 1-2 year old used one and prefer medium to light roast espressos. At the used price it is at my absolute price limit due to the significantly marked down price.

domes

#540: Post by domes »

I have had an Elizabeth for a couple of years. I finally popped the cover off to take a look as on occasion see small amount of condensation on the pressure dial. The one thing that stood out to me is the discoloration on the top of the boiler. Is this normal? Also has anyone replaced any of the water tubes from a maintenance perspective? The one running to down in lower right corner, which also runs to the water tank, looks a little discolored to me. If changing it out is recommended, this doesn't look like an easy task.