Lelit Elizabeth Owner Experience - Page 53

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
mklasse

#521: Post by mklasse »

I am a new owner of Lelit Elizabeth V3, and so far it has been fantastic.
I haven't tinkered anything with the machine, and the OPV is still on original factory settings.. mine is on 10 bar.

Yesterday I decided to turn off steam boiler as I thought I only wanted to brew coffee. I am aware pre-infusion is done differently with steam boiler off, but I observed different behaviour pressure-wise during brewing. The manometer was still in pre-infusion stage past the 6 secs and stayed there even after the pump turned back on.. then it went to 9 bar on 11-12 seconds mark until the shot is finished.

Out of curiosity I turned steam boiler back on.. and brew another shot.. it was back to normal.. 6 secs on pre-infusion pressure, and go to 10 bar right after the pump turned on.

Is that pressure behaviour normal when the steam boiler is off?

skansen

#522: Post by skansen »

Cappuchin0 wrote:does the Elizabeth run both boilers at the same time in the 220v version? I need to figure out what wattage transformer to buy to have it now work in the Us. Has anybody else run an Elizabeth in EU config in the US/Can?
Total power of EU version is 1250W.
Both boilers are heated consecutively, whereby the coffee boiler has priority.
IMHO it is not good idea to use european version in US/Can with transformer...

executor

#523: Post by executor »

Hi all
I just bought an Elizabeth a few months ago. Recently I noticed a small pressure variation after a while with the blind filter. I may be a bit dainty but still wanted to share a video with you guys. I wonder whether this slight (0.1 bars) pressure drop / fluctuation is normal... Or should I be concerned :/
https://streamable.com/qyyx3n
Thanks for your feedback (broken link fixed)

jb_bryant

#524: Post by jb_bryant »

I just ordered an Elizabeth v3 from Chris' Coffee, along with a Quick Mill bottomless portafilter and 18g VST basket. I can't wait, to say the least.

I haven't read through every page in this thread yet, but I did read the last few and I didn't see any mention of a great steam knob replacement other than the one from Clive that apparently needs lubrication of some kind and a lot of force to fit.

I just found this on Etsy and was wondering if anyone has tried it:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1417044813 ... ch_click=1

It looks exactly like what I've been wanting, other than a wooden lever style replacement.

jb_bryant

#525: Post by jb_bryant »

Does anyone know what exactly KPc and KLc do? I've found that the default settings of 2.0 and 0.04 seem to not overshoot nearly as much as Dave Corbey's settings of 0.2 and 0.07 on the initial heatup and recovery after a shot. I tried keeping KLc at 0.07 and raising from 0.2 to 0.5 but it didn't seem to change anything.

I'm also curious if any of his advanced settings would need to be tweaked since I'm in ºF mode not ºC.

Pflunz

#526: Post by Pflunz »

Those are values for the coffee "PID", K_p und K_i (and there is also a K_d).
The controller calculates everything in °C, when you set it to Fahrenheit, only the displayed values are converted.
Also offset has to be applied in Celsius, even when set to Fahrenheit.

The overshoot on initial heating is done on purpose to bring the group faster to the right temperature.

jb_bryant

#527: Post by jb_bryant »

Makes sense in theory, but what do the actual values mean/do? Why would Dave's settings overshoot more than stock settings? It seems to just add more waiting to the process, but I want to understand why his settings would be more beneficial.

DeGaulle

#528: Post by DeGaulle »

Just a generic explanation of Kp, Ki and Kd in a PID alrorithm with interpretation how they affect the heating of the boiler of an espressomachine.

KP refers to proportional response of the PID control. If the temperature of the boiler suddenly drops by 1 degree below the set point, then the heat duty is instantly increased by 1x KP. If it drops by 2 degrees, the increase is 2xKP etc. The same happens if you increase the set point by 1 degree or 2 degrees, respectively.
The higher the value of Kp, the more aggressive the response to a given drop in temperature or increase in set point.

Ki is the integral parameter, which stands for a time value, expressed in seconds or minutes. The integral action ensures that the temperature is restored to match the set point. As long as a deviation between actual temperature and Set point exists, the proportional action is repeated; not instantly, but as a ramp with the duration of this time value. The shorter the time, the more aggressive the ramp-up/ramp-down. If meanwhile the actual temperature approaches the set point, the ramp is slowed down. If the temperature overshoots the set point, the ramp is reversed.

The D-action is proportional to how fast the temperature of the boiler changes (delta T per second), even before it has reached the set point.

The total output of the PID algorithm is the sum of the three. This output translates to more or less frequent heating pulses that the heating element generates.
Bert

mklasse

#529: Post by mklasse »

Pflunz wrote: The overshoot on initial heating is done on purpose to bring the group faster to the right temperature.
My Lelit always overshoot to 107-108°C, and took a while to get back down to my set temperature, which is 93°C. I turn on my machine, put the empty portafilter in the grouphead.. and when the LCC gives "OK" sign, I start to grind my coffee into the dosing cup and then start the puck prep.. the portafilter is usually hot to the touch already. Then when I am ready to brew, usually the boiler is still at 102-105°C. Should I wait until the temperature stabilizes or the machine will mix the overheated water to bring it back down to 93°C?

scrane

#530: Post by scrane »

If you dispense some hot water the temp will drop below your set point as the brew boiler is recharged and then recover and stabilize very quickly. I like hot espresso, so I use the hot water to preheat my cup.