Lelit Elizabeth Owner Experience - Page 34

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Beady79

#331: Post by Beady79 »

Thanks, you were right.
I've been getting lazy checking the temperature lately.
It was probably over 100 degrees for that second shot.

chanty 77

#332: Post by chanty 77 »

scrane wrote:Are you verifying the temperature is OK? You can set up the machine to provide real time brew temperatures.

Typically, this is what I see on my Elizabety every morning. My brew temp is set for 93* F.
On startup. the brew boiler will quickly ramp up, and when the OK is displayed it will be about 115* F! (If I leave it alone the temp will drift down to around 93* after a half hour.) I will then steam some milk for my wife and use the hot water dispenser to fill and preheat my 8oz cup. As the water in the brew boiler is replenished the temp will drop to 87* and will smoothly ramp up and stabilize at 93* in about 30 seconds at which point I'll draw my Espresso.
So, if I draw my Espresso as soon as the OK is displayed I will be brewing at a very high temperature.
I have an Elizabeth (only for about 6 1/2 months now). I'm confused. You mentioned that your brew temp is set for 93 F. Do you mean 93 C? 93C would equal 199F. I only make two double shots of espresso a day (one directly after the other). I then make my steamed milk lastly. I'm hoping that after the first shot, I don't have to wait 1/2 hour before making the second double? Depending on the beans--I may set the temp anywhere from 199° to 203°.
You are saying (I'm guessing) that when your machine reads 'OK', it is showing 115C or 239F? Which would be basically burning the espresso. I usually turn the machine initially on & wait about 25 minutes, sometimes 30 minutes before doing my first double. I typically grind the beans for the second double & start that shot withing a minute or so after the first double. I haven't noticed any difference between the two doubles. Am I misunderstanding? Thanks.

dndrich

#333: Post by dndrich » replying to chanty 77 »

So take this with a grain of salt, since my Elizabeth has not arrived yet (Friday!!), but the Elizabeth when set at 199F (93C) will overshoot on initial warm up on purpose to warm up the group quickly. I think that is why most folks wait 5 minutes or so after the OK signal before pulling to await thermal stability and cooling of the group to the right temperature. I also think you can set the machine to show the actual brew boiler temp in the advanced settings. I guess I will figure it out when it comes. But no, after initial stability you will be able to pull shot after shot in a row without waiting for the second double.

chanty 77

#334: Post by chanty 77 » replying to dndrich »

Thanks, that makes sense.

friendly_confusion34

#335: Post by friendly_confusion34 » replying to chanty 77 »

I have the v3 and if you press the + button you can see the current temperature.
Press twice to see the current boiler temperature. Very convenient.

scrane

#336: Post by scrane »

chanty 77 wrote:I have an Elizabeth (only for about 6 1/2 months now). I'm confused. You mentioned that your brew temp is set for 93 F. Do you mean 93 C? 93C would equal 199F. I only make two double shots of espresso a day (one directly after the other). I then make my steamed milk lastly. I'm hoping that after the first shot, I don't have to wait 1/2 hour before making the second double? Depending on the beans--I may set the temp anywhere from 199° to 203°.
You are saying (I'm guessing) that when your machine reads 'OK', it is showing 115C or 239F? Which would be basically burning the espresso. I usually turn the machine initially on & wait about 25 minutes, sometimes 30 minutes before doing my first double. I typically grind the beans for the second double & start that shot withing a minute or so after the first double. I haven't noticed any difference between the two doubles. Am I misunderstanding? Thanks.
Yes, of course, degrees C. I'm the one who's confused. :) . I have changed my previous post so I look like less of an idiot.
What I'm saying is that when the Elizabeth first comes up with "OK" after the warmup (at about 10-15 minutes after a cold start) it is probably very hot. You can wait for it to cool down naturally or by running water out of the brew boiler, either with a dummy shot or dispensing hot water. The water will then stabilize at the setpoint rather quickly and remain pretty stable through subsequent use. You can get the machine to display actual temperature rather than setpoint temperature by changing the TR1 parameter in the advanced settings.
https://sway.office.com/S5J4d9Jp4Y9LdVFx
Sorry for the confusion and hope this helps.

Gargamel40

#337: Post by Gargamel40 »

So i'm planning to buy Lelit Elizabeth and pair it with Sette 270, Niche Zero or Eureka something type grinder. I would prefer single dose and zero retention system. Which grinders you love the most with this machine?

Main question is about portafilter and baskets. I would love to use it with bottom free portafilter. Can anyone confirm if Lelit bottom free portafilter is good and works with Elizabeth?
What kind of baskets are shipped with Elizabeth? If i buy Lelit bottomless portafilter, can i pair it with high quality baskets (which ones)?

Portafilter is strange size at 58,55mm, so baskets need to fit. And tamper + distributor need to fit. Any recommendations there?

And finally, how fast is a heat up function on this machine? I would love to be fast as possbile. I'm also considering Profitec PRO 300 in this price range.
Hard to find anything else.

chanty 77

#338: Post by chanty 77 »

scrane wrote:Yes, of course, degrees C. I'm the one who's confused. :) . I have changed my previous post so I look like less of an idiot.
What I'm saying is that when the Elizabeth first comes up with "OK" after the warmup (at about 10-15 minutes after a cold start) it is probably very hot. You can wait for it to cool down naturally or by running water out of the brew boiler, either with a dummy shot or dispensing hot water. The water will then stabilize at the setpoint rather quickly and remain pretty stable through subsequent use. You can get the machine to display actual temperature rather than setpoint temperature by changing the TR1 parameter in the advanced settings.
https://sway.office.com/S5J4d9Jp4Y9LdVFx
Sorry for the confusion and hope this helps.
You didn't look like an idiot. I figured that's what you meant. The company will tell you that you can start pulling shots at 15 minutes once turned on, but all the research told me wait 20-25 minutes before starting first shot or the dummy shot. Thanks appreciate you brought this topic up. It helped refresh my memory.

randyr5
Supporter ♡

#339: Post by randyr5 »

I've had a Lelit Mara for a few years and am seriously considering getting the Elizabeth. Getting a little tired of the HX water dance and don't care about flow control.

dndrich

#340: Post by dndrich »

Oh sadness. My Elizabeth arrived and I pulled a bunch of shots today to dial in and learn. On the plus side with my Niche Zero I pulled some really nice shots, much better than I ever have on my Breville Barista Express. On the minus side the top button has collapsed inward and there is some kind of internal leak. I checked it and it is not coming from the drip tray or some other obvious source. Clearly internal. I am on vacation and do not have tools to open it up, but this is quite a disappointment. I have a call in to Clive where I bought it online, and can hopefully just swap it. Bummer.