Lelit Elizabeth Owner Experience - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
babalu120483

#21: Post by babalu120483 »

Just wanted to share some pictures of the dispersion screen after only a few days of use as well as the group head shower holder. You will notice that the screen had some oils and that the shower holder is pretty dirty.

I used some cafiza and it worked with the screen but not the shower holder.

I am probably going to buy an IMS screen and see if it makes a difference. For those interested the size of the screen is 51.5mm.

Before

After

Also here is a picture of the group head without the screen & holder. You can see the group head gasket (red) and the portafilter filter gasket (black)

DeGaulle

#22: Post by DeGaulle »

babalu120483 wrote:Just wanted to share some pictures of the dispersion screen after only a few days of use as well as the group head shower holder. You will notice that the screen had some oils and that the shower holder is pretty dirty.

I used some cafiza and it worked with the screen but not the shower holder.

I am probably going to buy an IMS screen and see if it makes a difference. For those interested the size of the screen is 51.5mm.

Before
<image>

After
<image>

Also here is a picture of the group head without the screen & holder. You can see the group head gasket (red) and the portafilter filter gasket (black)

<image>
I recently installed an IMS competition screen (RA200IM) on my machine (not an Elizabeth). I like it for the way it disperses the water and spent pucks tend to come off in one piece more often. When I am flushing the grouphead, however I find fines in the water more often despite daily backflushes, portafilter wiggle rinsing and brushing the gasket and screen. I now drop the screen once a week for a quick rinse and wipe, but with the stock screen I didn't.
Bert

babalu120483

#23: Post by babalu120483 »

This morning I brought the Boiler temperature down and pulled a 10 second pre-infusion shot. It was 16g in and around 36g out in about 35 seconds. Here is a quick video. Enjoy!

pGolay

#24: Post by pGolay »

Hi all - thanks for these comments - I'm poking around for a possible replacement for our office machine and this seems like a good candidate. (we're on-again-off-again on that project but good to keep informed...) My question: Does anyone know what happens to the pre-infusion process if the steam boiler is off completely? Probably we'd want it off most of the time.

thanks,
-PG

babalu120483

#25: Post by babalu120483 replying to pGolay »

Pre-Infusion does not work if the steam boiler is off.

This is a great compact machine and I would be so stoked if my office was to switch to this machine.

pGolay

#26: Post by pGolay »

Hi Omar - thanks for getting back to me. Your answer is pretty much what I expected... too bad....
-PG

babalu120483

#27: Post by babalu120483 »

I wanted to share a video of my current workflow.

I am using the Lelit naked portafilter with a double basket not the triple it came with.

My receipe is 16g in and pulling around 40g out. I have been playing with pre-infusion and I am currently sitting at a 7 second pre and a total of 37 second extraction.

For those considering the Sette, you can hear that the grinder is pretty loud. I am using a distribution wedge, a little stick to stir the grinds and trying to tamp evenly.
Any advice or comments please let me know.

GregoryJ

#28: Post by GregoryJ »

Hi Babalu,

Thanks for posting the video, it's fun to see the machine in action!

The grind looks a little coarse. I would try going finer. Also, you may want to turn pre-infusion off for now, as it can hide or mask some problems. Then, once you are getting a nice shot without pre-infusion, you can turn it back on to take it to the next level. I would guess you would need somewhere between 10-20 sec to just barely see coffee beading on the basket. The goal is to get the coffee coming out of the entire basket evenly, instead of the tail off to the side. If the coffee is older, it may be hard to find a good grind setting as well, so don't drive yourself crazy trying to dial something in that was roasted months ago.

You should definitely get a scale to put under the cup. This one has 0.01g resolution for $15. Before distributing / tamping, try a downward tap on the portafilter, this will help the grounds settle.

babalu120483

#29: Post by babalu120483 replying to GregoryJ »

Thanks Greggers,

I will give that a try and see how it goes. I will post an update to see if things get better.

coweyes298

#30: Post by coweyes298 »

I am an early pre order customer from 1st line last October for Lelit Elizabeth. I got the machine a day before Christmas and really enjoy it. The warm up time is less than 15 mins and the steam is so powerful that steaming 10 oz milk only takes 30 second or so. The programmable feature for preinfusion and the volumetric is also a plus, while changing the temperature on the fly (not during brewing) is also helpful. I am a rookie espresso guy and I remembered the first shot I made when using this machine I got a thick crema! The machine is solid brushed stainless build with not much of play when moving it. It is a mini double boiler machine and can handle day to day use for small family for sure. Love my Elizabeth.