Lelit Elizabeth low brew pressure & temperature overshoot

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Notwist

#1: Post by Notwist »

Hi everyone,

I just bought new Lelit Elizabeth and having problems with brew pressure. Pressure never reaches 9 bars even with blind basket. With normal basket its 8, and with blind basket it's a bit higher but still less than 9. Also preinfusion is around 1.2 bars and even when I increase the steam temp to 293F it only hits 2.5 bars. Do I have a faulty unit?

Also when I turn the machine on, when the temp is set to 205, it always overshoots to around 225 or 245 then cools down to 205, this happens every time. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance!

Smo

#2: Post by Smo »

Steam pressure and pre-infusion are not related in any way.
With a cold start, the machine can reach a higher temperature to warm up the group.
Pressure:
Grind the coffee very finely and see what happens.

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
JRising

#3: Post by JRising »

From your description, it sounds like it's working. Steam pressure and pre-infusion are directly related so long as the steam boiler is engaged. You've tested it. You've proven that the steam-boiler driven pre-infusion is working by changing the temperature and seeing the difference.

If you need a brew pressure higher than what you're reading against your blind basket, the relief valve on the pump is adjustable, but I suggest leaving it alone and just learning the machine for a while.

I'm not sure from your original post what exactly you think is wrong, but you're not describing anything that sounds wrong.

Is it working? Is it making a decent espresso? I don't know much about Elizabeth, it's a strange machine and I haven't spent a lot of time with it, but yours sounds like it's working.

Notwist (original poster)

#4: Post by Notwist (original poster) »

JRising wrote:
If you need a brew pressure higher than what you're reading against your blind basket, the relief valve on the pump is adjustable, but I suggest leaving it alone and just learning the machine for a while.

This was the solution, thank you! I adjusted the OPV to the pressure I wanted. It was an easy process. For future reference in case if anybody else has the same issue:

jayy42

#5: Post by jayy42 »

For higher pre-infusion pressure, I would up the pump run to 3 sec (I think default is 1) so that the pump can fill the headspace. With 3 seconds of pump run and an 8 sec total preinfusion, I am getting 3ish bars. Otherwise you are relying on the steam boiler to fill too much empty head space above the puck.

This can be done via advanced settings. See Dave Corbey's excellent guide.

https://sway.office.com/S5J4d9Jp4Y9LdVFx