Lelit Elizabeth coffee puck sticking to shower screen after pulling shots

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
alfredocalza

#1: Post by alfredocalza »

About 50% of the time, after pulling my shots and taking the portafilter off, the coffee puck gets stuck to the shower screen. I am using 16g of coffee and pulling 30 second shots + 4 second pre infusion. I tamp the coffee very well and evenly, and the pucks that don't get stuck come right off the portafilter very clean. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? What am I doing wrong?

spopinski

#2: Post by spopinski »

Dose more, or puck screen

Sportwomble
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Sportwomble »

I'm not familiar with your particular machine but it could also be a sign of restricted water flow from the exhaust side of the brew valve, run a good back flush with a quality powder and see if it improves,

alfredocalza (original poster)

#4: Post by alfredocalza (original poster) »

Wouldn't the more coffee I use, the more likely it is to touch the shower screen and stick to it? What's puck screen? The basket that I am using says 14 to 18 grams.
spopinski wrote:Dose more, or puck screen

#5: Post by alfredocalza (original poster) »

Would that be the case with a 2-month old machine though? What is a high quality powder?
Sportwomble wrote:I'm not familiar with your particular machine but it could also be a sign of restricted water flow from the exhaust side of the brew valve, run a good back flush with a quality powder and see if it improves,

BodieZoffa

#6: Post by BodieZoffa » replying to alfredocalza »

Nothing necessarily wrong, usually has to do with dose more than anything else based on the handful of times I've had it happen. Powder mentioned is backflush detergent, which is also used to soak machine parts on a regular basis to remove oils, etc. After using a handful of different brands over many years I can strongly recommend Puly Caff. Definitely my go-to for how well it works.

spopinski

#7: Post by spopinski »

alfredocalza wrote:Wouldn't the more coffee I use, the more likely it is to touch the shower screen and stick to it? What's puck screen? The basket that I am using says 14 to 18 grams.
Your puck sticking because the suction pressure outweigh the puck ability to stay put :D

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Nunas »

It's normal. When you release the pressure, the puck suddenly expands. You'll find that this varies with grind, level of roast and how much you fill the portafilter. If you value a dry puck and clean group head, then a puck screen will give you this. Check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIukBXKrJVQ

Sportwomble
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Sportwomble »

I can second the vote for pulycaf, not the lowest cost but the best for cleaning power, if you haven't been doing regular back flush with a blind filter then I would be even more convinced that this would be my first port of call to rectify the issue, as mentioned different grind size and different coffees have differing oil contents, higher oil content can give wetter pucks. A rough guide but after approx 2 kilos of coffee (without cleaning) 20% of the holes in distribution plate and shower screen will start to block with the obvious effects on extraction and effective exhausting of the solenoid valve.

#10: Post by alfredocalza (original poster) »

Very helpful info. Thanks everyone!